Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My quest for a new 80

It strikes me that what you want is about for the kind of money that you are talking about buying a petrol for & converting it to LPG :)

Like this http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2454900.htm

2454900-1.jpg

Looking @ what you are considering spending to get yourself a petrol + the LPG coversion £5150 ish this with a little haggle maybe £5700 or less if your happy to drop the warrenty maybe. Then the on going cost of fuel (not likely to be comeing down) the difference in cost right now will seem like peanuts in three or four years :) Id've thought :think:

maybe not what you want to do seeing as you have a spares truck now, but you could go to another marque. I think 80's are getting way overpriced for what they are.

or you can wait until summer, prices tend to be a bit lower then.

don't discount unlocked ones either, you've got a pair of locked axles there, along with difflock ecu and switch. From reading mud, its mostly plug and play, apart from needing to run a 5 core wire from front to back. I have heard hdj81's are fully pre-wired (eg no extra 5 cores), but i've never checked.

that's a diesel, turbo written on rear wing and the redline starts just after 4k ;)

Chris said:
Well folks this is doing my nut. Don't know what I am looking for from this particular post - just some logic checking I guess. I know that I can bide my time, but dammit, I haven't driven a Cruiser for 2 weeks! I'm going cold turkey here.

Buy a petrol. Yes, I did say that. Buy a petrol (sips medicine and shouts for nurse to bring pills) with an LPG conversion. I know its an option, but from what you've said in the past, I don't think you will ever be 100% happy. For example, where will you re-home the spare wheel?

5. There's an option 5 - jeez. Yep, buy one of the mint late 80s with petrol motor and just run on petrol. No LPG. Well I had to list that option.
In desperate times this may seem an option, but its likely to consume petrol at such a rate (compared to your diesel) that in time the thought of the consumption rate may prevent you from taking it off the drive in some cases.

Regards one and all and a million thanks for all the help and support so far.

Chris
It must be hard in your situation, but I'd say hold out for what you want, a diesel 80 that you can put your plate on. Anything less, and you may never be 100% satisfied. The right truck will turn up, even if it turns out to be an existing club member the decides to sell, well we have seen it happen. Could be worth while posting some wanted ads around.

Do we all need to start approaching 80 owners, and asking if they are considering selling, in the hope that we catch a vehicle before it is advertised to the masses?

Fingers crossed the right truck will come along soon.

Hi Chris,yes some of the points you made are very valid in today's "80" market place situation.As you know I have just,(a few weeks ago) done the change from a 95 12v auto to a 95 petrol/lpg 80. On the subject of fuel economy (which seems to be everybodies gripe with petrols) I am carrying out a 1000 mile consumption test,so that all conditions can be taken into account.I will report my findings when I reach that mileage as I am now on 600.
The point about petrol versions being generally better in condition seems to hold true,they were generally bought by people to whom fuel economy was not a consideration,who bought it as a large car rather than a diesel powered work vehicle.These people would generally have their cars dealer serviced,cover less miles and keep their cars longer,therefore as these cars filter down the second hand car market they always stayed in better condition than their diesel counterparts.
If you want diesel auto Chris (uk spec that is) you will be stuck with the pre facelift interior,this may not be a problem to you but I've got to say after 15 years with the same interior the 95 on facelift dash with the thicker steering wheel and airbag centre is a refreshing change.
In fairness to drive I'd take a petrol one every time,the difference in noise alone and the refinement on pickup sways it for me,at 70 with the cruise on you can't hear the engine,something you can't say about a 12v diesel.
I wish you luck with your search,while I realise the pool is getting "shallower" as you say,I would say be patient,there are so many people,myself included looking for a good 94/95 auto that there is no need to go where "angels fear to tread"

Anyway that's my tenpenneth

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Chris,yes some of the points you made are very valid in today's "80" market place situation.As you know I have just,(a few weeks ago) done the change from a 95 12v auto to a 95 petrol/lpg 80. On the subject of fuel economy (which seems to be everybodies gripe with petrols) I am carrying out a 1000 mile consumption test,so that all conditions can be taken into account.I will report my findings when I reach that mileage as I am now on 600.
The point about petrol versions being generally better in condition seems to hold true,they were generally bought by people to whom fuel economy was not a consideration,who bought it as a large car rather than a diesel powered work vehicle.These people would generally have their cars dealer serviced,cover less miles and keep their cars longer,therefore as these cars filter down the second hand car market they always stayed in better condition than their diesel counterparts.
If you want diesel auto Chris (uk spec that is) you will be stuck with the pre facelift interior,this may not be a problem to you but I've got to say after 15 years with the same interior the 95 on facelift dash with the thicker steering wheel and airbag centre is a refreshing change.
In fairness to drive I'd take a petrol one every time,the difference in noise alone and the refinement on pickup sways it for me,at 70 with the cruise on you can't hear the engine,something you can't say about a 12v diesel.
I wish you luck with your search,while I realise the pool is getting "shallower" as you say,I would say be patient,there are so many people,myself included looking for a good 94/95 auto that there is no need to go where "angels fear to tread"

Anyway that's my tenpenneth

Andy

Went to look at a petrol today. Very tidy indeed. Nicest inside I have seen in any cruiser. Only one area of poor body work where someone had set about it with a rattle can. Restorable I think. Economy going in exactly the opposite direction to what I want, but at the price I can get it for it's one hell of a car for the money. And looking at gas conversions, that would buy me three years worth of fuel - (over the price I would pay for diesel). Looking like a possible purchase. Even if I fit a gas kit myself, looking at the Tinley website, it's a chunk of petrol money. On high mileage it pays back fairly quickly but on 5000 per annum max it just isn't worth it.

What I really really need is some evidence of MPG on petrol when cruising at 60 mph on the motorway. If that comes in anywhere near my old diesel then I'd be happy. That's the crunch for me, motorway cruising miles. Dibbling about when I get to the other end has never been economical.

C

Might be worth checking lcool also for the fuel figs they seem to have a load of petrols.

viewtopic.php?f=32&p=71932#p71932

Chris said:
Tell you what. That looks nice. If I were starting over, I could be tempted with something like that.

Chris

sae70 said:
Yea, hear what your saying Chris :)

But it's a 4.5L petrol :!:

Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series 4.5L Auto;
Fuel consumption (urban) 15.4 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 28.5 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 20.5 mpg

Those figures are worse than my Volvo & are for a brand new vehicle in tip top fetal :lol: The true figures for my Volvo are 6% lower than stated below so the LC would be giving nearer 14.5 mpg (urban) based on this info :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Volvo V70 T5 Geartronic fuel consumption figures;
Fuel consumption (urban) 18.5 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 34.4 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 26.2 mpg

It's a shame, 'cause as you say a nice looking truck :mrgreen:

Andrew Prince said:
That's why it's called a "rare expedition" - only suitable for short-haul expeditions because of fuel consumption. Most expeditions are of course much longer trips :mrgreen:

I think those official stats for the 4.5l petrol are optimistic and on a modded truck like that they'd be impossible even on the back of an AA truck! See Ryan's post about his 80's mileage on LPG and his truck is much less extreme than that one.

That is a nice truck though :thumbup: at a somewhat inflated price :?

Chris said:
Yeah, A. It's tidy and B. it's LPG. Gotta be cheaper than oil at the minute. I'm getting 20 at a stretch from mine.

C

Ryan Thomson said:
LPG is 75p/litre where I am at the moment.

I get about 200 miles to a tank of LPG, 90 litres. Equates to about 10mpg, though i'm sure my dented exhaust isn't helping with this. Approx 28p/mile. This is urban driving though. Get slightly better on the highway. 20mpg with diesel at £1.34/litre is about 34p/mile.
:ugeek: moment over... ;)

So it's pretty close i'd say. Though I have to say if i put a roof top tent on no doubt those figures would plummet.

I wouldn't rule out petrol as an expedition vehicle though, plenty of folk in SA and Namibia that won't drive anything else other than a 4.5 cruiser. Besides put some long range tanks on, couple of Jerry cans and your range will be good enough.

And besides the petrol is a great drive... :auto-layrubber:

Yeah, I know. I trawl Autotrader and e-bay every hour. Saw that one. I still say that if I were staring over ... but I'm not and I don't have the money that I had either plus prices have gone up. It's a serious thought, but I keep coming back to the maths. I can get a petrol with no LPG for £3500. Spending nearly £6 on a cruiser WITH lpg just doesn't make any sense. The difference is a huge amount of fuel.

Nice that it has 5 new tyres etc etc but I bet that when you get up close to it, it's not going to be that tidy and you have no idea to hat standard it has been done. The one I am looking at is 4 owners from new, unmolested. Super tidy inside. Seat barely worn on the bolster. You have to consider it.

Chris

Gets tricky when you stick a rack and roof tent on though. With a lift like that, your passengers tend to suffer a little sea sickness in the corners. Plus you need a longer ladder to get into the tent :lol: :lol:

I do like it though. Get rid of the stupid basket on the roof and it would be a friend for Muxley.

C

sae70 said:
Oh & look @ what I just found :)

media

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

The very vehicle that had you say;

Chris said:
Tell you what. That looks nice. If I were starting over, I could be tempted with something like that.

Chris
:D :D :D ;)

I phoned up about that truck before i bought the Colorado, it sold on ebay for about £5100 if my memory serves me. A friend of mine runs a 100 series 4.5 litre petrol and only gets 13-14mpg! :o Said it was a lovely truck though.

This one just popped up on eBay - I think it will go quickly in this price range if it's half-decent. Probably worth a quick call for mileage, service history and condition, although it's in Derbyshire, which I believe you already hold a passport for, so maybe you could inspect in person!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-TOYOTA-L...4082374?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item19c417e3c6

EDIT: I see the seller has 5 or 6 other 80s for sale, so he's clearly some kind of dealer and probably has his prices pitched at the upper end of what they're "worth"... This truck may have crazy miles on and/or be in poor condition...

Ahh, these guys again. They trade out of their house in Notts. I test drove a GS manual there last year. Nice enough, but they export and sell they to YOU KNOW WHO!!

That is a bit tattier than I would have liked, but sensible money I suppose

Chris

Just before anyone gets excited - yes, I have seen all the new ads for the cruisers in Buxton and no I won't be buying one from them. Not unless the suddenly catch a case of 'reality' disease. And of course get one in that matches my spec, One will come along I'm sure. I think that my ideal would be a UK manual 24v M or newer in good condition. It doesn't have to be outstanding, just not filthy and ripped up. Price wise, I think they are getting the best money out of all of them. It's going to be a very fine balance. Do yoy pay £6k for one of those or get a petrol in lovely condition on a N and just use the money you save to pay for the difference in fuel? Remember that at current prices, 5k per year at 19 mpg in a diesel would be £1600 and 5k in a petrol at 14 mpg would be £2150. The difference is £550. I think that people are perhaps missing the fact that it's the DIFFERENCE between the diesel that I already have to buy and the petrol. OK insurance will be slightly higher on a petrol. But fitting gas, which sounds sensible will be £2k. That's 4 years difference in motoring. Plus I then need a wheel carrier etc. I haven't actually done 5k miles per annum yet, that's a limit on my insurance.

It's a case of what comes along first I think. The petrols that I have been looking at have been ultra tidy which makes for nice motoring. And, I tell you what, they are lovely to drive. Forgotten just how lumbering a diesel is. Other option is that a petrol with gas fitted comes along for good money. The white on in Merseyside went for £3100. Pretty good really, but had 212k on it and looked a bit tired inside. But it sets a benchmark doesn't it. I have added a gas column to the price per mile calculator and you only have to hit 12 mpg on gas to equal diesel economy. Evidence suggests that this is being achieved. Modern kits, so I read can be programmed to be a bit cleverer than simple old ones in that they can have cruise settings where economy on major roads is very good. It's all interesting stuff but terribly distracting.

Keep looking lads

Chris

Back