Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mysteries of the R154 R151 Gearbox.......

Thanks for the info Frank. Regarding first gear, the gear leaver moves diagonally when changing from accelerating and decelerating while the others only move back and forwards. Nothing to do with how you move the gear leaver to select the gear.

I would like to attempt to do this myself at some point but I just do not have the facilities at the moment. I am curious to see what's inside as I design gearboxes/drives for a living only on a much smaller scale and in plastic but the principles should be the same.

Looks like I will be draining and checking the oil some time soon in that case.

So my 97 UK spec 80 Amazon should have a H150 .......... or a ........ H151 ???

That's correct Shayne, H151f for the heavier versions and the R151f for the lighter based trucks. They're all good trucks being heavier or lighter.

If the gearbox code has a F at the end then it's for a 4x4 with a transfer case, without then it's a rear wheel drive without a transfer case.

Cheers Iwan i'm just sofa surfing weighing up my options with regards to tidying up the centre console after a body lift and wondering if a supra gear shift assembly might fit with some modification .

Last edited:
Carefull if buying a gear lever off a different model, cause they look the same but aren't necessarily the same dimensions, a 60 series gear lever will not fit an 80, but will fit an early hd 70, a light r151 f will not fit either of the models above.

Supra has the R151 so would be a kin to a loose tooth.... it wount stay located for long! Lol :thumbup:

I'm trying to avoid cutting and welding my gear lever if i can help it

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back