Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Nato pintle bolts

DaveN

I want to remove the pintle, but have lost the standard (shorter) bolts that go in the 4 holes and hold the standard towbar plate. The pintle bolts are too long (without the pintle), so does anyone know the length of the standard M12 fine bolts?

Are they available from the dealer?

I thought that the four holes in the rear cross member were all clear holes so any nuts & bolts would fit - mind you its been a while since I played with that bit so I am probably wrong :oops: Will try & have a look at Muxley tonight...

If they are a captive nut though, so long as you get a 'set' instead of a 'bolt', the thread will be the full length from head to end & length won't matter :cool:

I should have something in the toolbox if you find out what you need Dave :cool:

The top holes are captive, bottom are not, but the top holes don't have much space behind them before you hit the back of the cross member so I'd say that's where Dave is running into problems. Not something the dealer will have I'm afraid as they were not fitted from new and although the bolts that go into the underside of the chassis rails are also M12x1.25 they're probably too long as well (for the top).

Cheers Jon - glad someone round here knows what they're talking about!!!

Off the top of my head, I would say 50mm from what I recall. I think I have some lying around somewhere still so could measure. If you use longer bolts for the lower 2, make sure you fit the top 2 first as access there is b!tch if you "loosen" the captive nuts... :whistle:

Are you in the UK or further away Dave? I'm sure I have some still from my old 80.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not in the UK at the moment. I guess I can take one out and deduct the thickness of the pintle mount from the existing length. Ha, just trying to save a little work and get the right bolts up front.

What about the bolts that hold the tie down eyes (now the towbar) on. They're the right size, but not sure of the length. They should be available from the dealer.

Back