Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need advice for large parts order to Anti-Poaching organisation in Africa

danmac

Hey crew,

I work within a fairly large anti-poaching outfit based primarily in Malawi, Africa. We are an anti-poaching organisation that works across border, into both Zimbabwe and Zambia.

I am in the process of attempting (the seemingly arduous task) of arranging a large parts order for our Landcruiser vehicles used in the National Parks by our rangers and scouts. This request has been bestowed to me and the challenges will be in companies that can ship to Malawi, Africa, and a company that I can trust. The further complication is that I am trying to organise all of this from Australia, before being back in Africa in 2 weeks time (also complicated by the fact i'm usually the guy with the gun, and not the most mechanically minded.)

I have found websites like megazip.com and cruiserworld.eu, but unsure if these are practical, legitimate or best options?

The vehicle number is: HZJ79R-TJMRS

The list of parts I am attempting to compile for a quote, including delivery to Lilongwe, Malawi, is as follows:

1 x windscreen
1 x Front Propellar Shaft
1 x Rear Propellar Shaft
16 x Shock absorbers
16 x tie rod ends
32 x diesel filters
32 x oil filters
8 x air filters
3 x sets heater plugs
2 x left rear light assembly
2 x right rear light assembly
2 x left front light assembly
2 x right front light assembly
2 x radiator caps
16 x brake disk
16 x wheel studs

ANY advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.

I would have thought the Toyota dealer in Malawi would be the best bet. The corrrect parts and no shipping issues.

Megazip are legit and will ship glass (not sure about something the size of a windscreen but Worth a try) Amayama.com are another good source from Japan or UAE. They will tell you if they cannot ship as it’s part of the order process. They don’t do glass as far as I know.

Really support what you’re doing by the way. It cannot be an easy task.

Last edited:
In addition to the above sources for the parts, it might help to have a word with one of the clearance agents listed here regarding shipping:
https://www.africanadvice.com/Customs_Clearing_And_Forwarding_Agencies/Malawi/
As the items are quite heavy, air freight will be pricey, consolidated container shipping might be a safer / cheaper option. With regard to the excellent work that you are doing (thank you), it might be worth contacting a few big cargo companies to see if any sponsored transport could be arranged in exchange for a bit of publicity. You could try a firm like Rockit Cargo (sadly my friend who was one of the founders has passed away, but he was from Bulawayo).
https://www.rockitcargo.com
Good luck !

I am guessing this is an ngo or a govt funded organisation? If so why not directly speak with Toyota Gibraltar?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would have thought given your proximity a toyota dealership in south africa would be the best place to start? It's worth jumping on one of the south african 4wd forums and posting there. This one would make a good start: http://www.4x4community.co.za/

I have another solution- shoot the poachers. Buy a few highspec surveillance drones and eliminate the problem at source. a few new shocks wont stop them!

I have another solution- shoot the poachers. Buy a few highspec surveillance drones and eliminate the problem at source. a few new shocks wont stop them!
An interesting angle there Glen…

Contact Manny or Vini Bharma, - in Moshi Tanzania.

If you want details and telephone numbers etc PM me.

Seriously it is an aerial solution that is required given the landscape and terrain etc. Drones with thermal imaging and ordnance (the latter is for ethical debate) are going to be the biggest deterrent. Consider the funding made available to the sea shepherds because they are proven effective. Now a plan to curb poaching using relevant technology would easily generate substantial sums through crowdfunding etc. really if you are on site doing the task already Im sure its not that hard to setup... I would look at huying a fleet of unimogs for base control and communications and use them for launching and storing the drones. I know you guys are trying hard but really look at the hassle for a few truck spares when the efforts could be better concentrated.

Back