Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need help with Land cruiser 80 series centre console Fridge

Sameer Ul Haq

Country Flag
pakistan
Hello Everyone, Its my first thread here & I was looking for some assistance. I have a 1996 Land cruiser 80 series without the company fitted fridge. I wanted to know how much it would cost to install an old one from an 80 series & is it difficult? How many other CHEAP options for central control fridge are there?

Welcome Sameer, the centre console fridge was never offered on the UK domestic market so they are rare here. AFAIK the only chance of one is to get one from an import 12V if there is one at a breaker.
To install you have to have a model with air con as the fridge works off this and then the fridge unit its self and the associated air con piping which is several feet long (2 pipes) and I guess the associated wiring if there is any.
I only know this as I bought the full kit from a breaker a couple of years ago and am still considering where to put it. The other option is a stand alone fridge wired in.
I have only seen these in 12V models in the UK but I see no reason why one couldn't be retro fitted into a 24V either petrol or diesel, it won't be a small job though, I can foresee the retro fitting of the air con pipes being a challenge unless you commissioned an air con shop to do it.

I hope this helps.

Hi Sameer, purchased this fridge on amazon Dometic CDF-11 Smallest Portable Freezer/Refrigerator. A buddy of mine built a wooden shelf for it that bolts to the center console bracket on the floor. I hard wired the fridge to my auxiliary blue sea fuse panel which is connected to an auxiliary battery. Works awesome!! The fridge gets super cold and has a built in battery monitor. So it will shut off if the battery voltage gets to low. Sits up a little higher than the stock console. Which makes it a little more comfortable when driving, and it
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
IMG_1465.JPG
IMG_1470.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG
image.jpeg
has two cup holders. One of the best mods I've done

I too have considered this modification and have access to the right gear as well however, the main AC has to be on to make it work. Now looking at the above install by eljeffe13 I would go that route, I do have an Isotherm fridge in the back for camping but this mod is cool (no pun intended). Just wondered about access to the handbrake, look a bit tight, this is the only reason I would buy an OE kit, not seen one for sale for awhile though.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
I too have considered this modification and have access to the right gear as well however, the main AC has to be on to make it work. Now looking at the above install by eljeffe13 I would go that route, I do have an Isotherm fridge in the back for camping but this mod is cool (no pun intended). Just wondered about access to the handbrake, look a bit tight, this is the only reason I would buy an OE kit, not seen one for sale for awhile though.

regards

Dave
The parking brake is easily accessible. I was concerned about that as well. Trust me, this is the way to go if your considering a fridge for the center console.

The parking brake is easily accessible. I was concerned about that as well. Trust me, this is the way to go if your considering a fridge for the center console.

I agree on that one, a lot less messing about, same result.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I do like the colour as well, blends in nice. What did you do with the seat heater switches, move them to the centre console?

regards

Dave

Good point........never noticed that! :oops: I will still keep my eye out for a kit but think it is a lot of work?

regards

Dave

Where does the melted water goes when you do not used it for days?

Back