Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New 80-Series Owner On His Way to England

Tachycardic

Country Flag
united_states
Hello! I'm Jim and I'll be moving from Las Vegas to Oxford shortly. I'm bringing Frank the Tank, my 1994 FZJ with 478K km on the odo. He's pretty unadulterated--Frank's got a Big Country 4x4 aluminum roof rack, LED lights all-around, stock-height Dobinsons springs at all corners with an Air Lift 1000 in the rear, and a Redarc Tow-Pro elite.

Some other minor details include a CDL, a blue hub fan clutch mod, a catch can, stainless steel brake lines, and a Dobinsons steering damper.

Frank has been a family hauler (almost ended up with a 3rd gen 4Runner, but needed the 3rd row seats), a daily driver to and from work, and a (U.S.) overlander--car camping in California, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona. I hope to continue to overland and car camp in and around the UK and can't wait to explore the region!

I'm thinking that one day I'll replace the old inline 6 gasser for an LS swap or perhaps a diesel. The power and performance of the FZJ are fine, but I'm looking for more range. Looking forward to some LC shop recommendations and places to visit!

Hi Jim, I'm Mika and I'm about to make almost the same move as you (Sedona,AZ - Oxford) in January!

I'm bringing my 97 FZJ80 with me, and I'd very much appreciate any tips you might have on the process, as well as insurance, MOT (did you pass without any trouble?), etc.

Very new member so can't PM you, but if you're able to PM me that would be appreciated as well!
Thanks very much!

It's a priority for you guys moving to Oxford to do some underbody rust prevention work..

Oxfordshire is alright but the salt on the roads will soon do harm to yer cruiser..

@chapel gate I’m going for the uni, was surprised to see someone else making the same move too!

@Iwan thanks, I’m Canadian and my truck was originally an Ohio truck(although I’ve only had it in the desert) it’s in pretty good shape but not rust free, so I was already planning on it! Any products you like for it?

I helped a friend get an MOT on her Corvette she brought over from Texas a few years ago. I changed the indicators as they must be amber front and rear (no red and no flashing brake lights allowed), I swapped the headlights for ones that dip to the left on low beam and added a rear fog light (which must be on the right hand side in the UK if you only have one, no problem with a pair). Nothing else was a problem as far as I can remember. I thought she would complain about insurance as we think it is expensive here but she was paying five times as much in the US. Speedometer must read miles per hour too which is OK for US but maybe not Canada unless it shows both kph and mph like ours do.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks very much @MODVRS, much appreciated - saw on @Tachycardic 's other thread that they installed a switch when changing the lighting - did you have to do that or just the lamp changes you mentioned? I'd like to save myself some £££ but I don't want to do it all then have them tell me it's non-compliant when I get there.
Has anyone ever had any trouble with emissions on the MOT? I've got an exhaust leak that's been haunting me since I replaced my cats... I think I've dealt with it but you can never be sure...

Couldn't find the thread about a switch, the rear foglight could need a switch if there isn't one already installed that can be used (needs an indicator lamp on the dash as well to alert the driver that it is on).

Emmisions can be a problem on any vehicle, let's just say that some MOT testers are more understanding of older vehicles and may "help" them a little - local knowledge is key here. I think lighting is the main issue for MOTing foreign vehicles.

Great information, thanks again!!
I’m shipping with a company that handles everything including the MOT, unfortunately that also likely gives them incentive to check everything and then charge me for the associated work, but we’ll see how it goes.
thanks for all the help!

I passed the MOT (first try) without any mechanical, safety, or emissions issues. I realize that that the MOT is standardized, but I think how merciful the person performing the MOT plays a factor.

As for the undercoating, do it. I used Lanoguard. It is the UK version of WoolWax and Fluid Film. Another good product I have seen used (especially if you prefer aerosol) is Dynax UC by Bilt Humber Labs.

As for the the required lights...You will absolutely need 2 things: side turn markers and a rear fog lamp. I didn't have the time to install them myself, so I had a local light shop do it and I went with the most inexpensive option. The side turn markers are little LED lights taped to the side just ahead of the front door and obviously wired to the turning signal stalk. They also activate when you have the hazards on. The other, and more expensive option, is to permanently mount side turn marker lights, but that would have involved cutting into the body panels to permanently bolt on the lights. I've seen this done on a US-spec Tacoma and it looked great. It just costs much more money and time.

There were 2 options for the rear fog light: 1) replace one white reverse gear bulb with a red bulb (passenger-side assuming your 80 is left-hand drive), or 2) have a dedicated rear fog light and housing bolted to the rear bumper. I opted for the red bulb. I lost the ability to show 2 white lights while reversing, but I maintained a cleaner look and departure angle. An on/off switch is needed for the rear fog light.

The final thing that was added were front parking lights. They are white LEDs that fit neatly under the headlamps and complement the yellow/amber front/side lights next to the headlights. I was told that they are needed, but I'm not so sure. Either way, they were inexpensive and actually look pretty good. Total cost was something like $300 USD with 66% of that being labor.

You can do all of this stuff yourself for much cheaper (under $100 USD--depending on your light choices) if you have the time and basic wiring skills.

I think that we are fortunate that the US-spec 80 retained many ''globalness'' qualities. My friend has a 2014 US-spec Audi Q7 and it cost him over $1000 USD to have his lighting be UK-compliant. It's because his Audi uses all white bulbs and different light housings/lens colors, which he had to replace.

Another thing to remember is to bring your AZ plates (tags) with you (either leave them in the truck prior to shipping or pack them in your luggage). If Arizona requires that turn in your plates, then any other States' plates will do. You cannot legally drive your vehicle in the UK without plates of any kind.

I forgot to mention that I was able to PM others after surpassing 25 posts (26th post).

Last edited:
Finally, you should perform some maintenance:
1) Prices for genuine Toyota items are expensive here. I don't know who long you will be here for, or how much mileage you plan on driving, but I purchased an extra fusible link, oil filters and washers, and air filters to last me for about 30k miles. I was able to ship this stuff in the vehicle as long as it didn't have a combined value of $200 (tools included). Your transporter my have different limitations compared to mine.

2) Similar to your truck, my truck was a desert truck for about a decade. My truck also has a sun roof and I made sure that the drainage holes were cleared by running weed wacker (string trimmer) line through the drainage holes. I also replaced the rubber window runners.

3) Add a catch can if you haven't already. It's very humid and much cooler here and my catch can has been collecting a lot of water.

4) Once you're ready to order your UK plates (need to do light mod, then pass MOT, then wait for the V5), you should order the US-sized plate for the front and rear and keep in mind that they are 1/4" thick plastic plates and not the thin stamped metal plates that we are used to. They also do not have any holes pre-drilled in them. You can get plates from a place like Halfords and they should be able to drill appropriate holes for you. The other option is to apply 3M VHB tape. Our 80s can take UK-style plates (longer and and less wide), but they will slightly block the front intake holes on the bumper by about 1-2 inches on either side (assuming you have the stock bumper). I don't think that this is a big deal and I used number plate clips (search Amazon UK) for the front and the 3M tape in the rear.

5) If your truck has tinted windows like mine, you have to make sure that it allows at least 70% light in the windshield glass and driver/passenger-side glass or you may need to have them removed/re-tinted. I was told that it is a safety issue for the police.

Finally, if you are in Oxford proper don't drive the 80 in town. Either take public transportation, walk, or get a city car. You'll thank me later. If you are living outside of Oxford--lets say by Newbury to the south, north of Swindon to the west, Bicester/Banbury to the north, or Milton Keynes to the east, you'll be fine but a couple of things to consider...Gas is $$$ compared to the US. The roads are narrower and often do not have vehicle-width shoulders, or shoulders at all. Smaller A and B roads often have 60mph speed limits--I'm not a slow driver, but that's pushing the limits of an 80 with 31" Michelin LTX all-season tires, let alone AT/MT tires. It's dark by 1630, and we haven't even hit December. Pretty much all roads are not lit unless you're traveling on a motorway, at a (big) traffic circle, or if you're in town. And oncoming traffic headlight dazzle is worse when it's that dark--you will learn to hate the lights on newer Land Rovers, BMWs, MBs, Audis, etc. Slow down. Trust me, the extra 10 mins can save lives.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the in-depth response, I think I'll mitigate a few of the upfront issues as the company I've chosen for shipping handles all MOT/DVLA/lighting etc. Based on your lighting costs, it seems more expensive, but no limit on items shipped in the car and although I have basic wiring skills, I'd rather spend the limited time I have left finishing up other bigger maintenance items I'm working through, especially if you find genuine parts to be much more expensive than here.
Good tip on the sun roof drainage holes. And the catch can - this wasn't even on my radar. I'll look into it.
Makes sense, I'll be there for 3 years (PhD length) so I didn't want it sitting in storage, and I don't care to part with it, which is why I'm bringing it. No plans to drive it in the city, it'll be more of a means to get out and go camping/hiking/roadtripping, not least because of $$$$$ gas prices.
Thanks again for all the help and for taking the time to share so much info, it's very much appreciated! Here's hoping I pass my MOT too! I've been ticking off PM items since I got it, but I'm still a pretty novice LC owner.
I've been in Sedona for the past year - due to dark sky regs no lights on the road here either, at least I have that going for me (+throwing in the wrong hand side drive... how's that been for you?), but I'm no stranger to new-car headlight dazzle!

Screenshot_20231121-111319.png
get one of these and start practising for your parking lot entry/departures:)

I came back from Washington state (prev CO and others) into Ireland but needed to change my headlights (80breakers had a set) and easy to change out. I added rear fog light and switch myself. No issues otherwise other than pricing insurance (MUCH easier in UK than IRL)

I came back from Washington state (prev CO and others) into Ireland but needed to change my headlights (80breakers had a set) and easy to change out. I added rear fog light and switch myself. No issues otherwise other than pricing insurance (MUCH easier in UK than IRL)
Good to know! Do you have any photos of your rear fog & switch?

Thanks very much for the in-depth response, I think I'll mitigate a few of the upfront issues as the company I've chosen for shipping handles all MOT/DVLA/lighting etc. Based on your lighting costs, it seems more expensive, but no limit on items shipped in the car and although I have basic wiring skills, I'd rather spend the limited time I have left finishing up other bigger maintenance items I'm working through, especially if you find genuine parts to be much more expensive than here.
Good tip on the sun roof drainage holes. And the catch can - this wasn't even on my radar. I'll look into it.
Makes sense, I'll be there for 3 years (PhD length) so I didn't want it sitting in storage, and I don't care to part with it, which is why I'm bringing it. No plans to drive it in the city, it'll be more of a means to get out and go camping/hiking/roadtripping, not least because of $$$$$ gas prices.
Thanks again for all the help and for taking the time to share so much info, it's very much appreciated! Here's hoping I pass my MOT too! I've been ticking off PM items since I got it, but I'm still a pretty novice LC owner.
I've been in Sedona for the past year - due to dark sky regs no lights on the road here either, at least I have that going for me (+throwing in the wrong hand side drive... how's that been for you?), but I'm no stranger to new-car headlight dazzle!
I actually prefer driving a left hand drive car in the UK. Due to the lack of shoulders on the smaller roads, you have to drive quite close to the hedges especially when there is an oncoming car. I can better gauge how close I am to the side in a left-hand drive car. It's slightly more difficult at busy traffic circles due to the A-pillar partially blocking your view, but overall it's not bad.

I actually prefer driving a left hand drive car in the UK. Due to the lack of shoulders on the smaller roads, you have to drive quite close to the hedges especially when there is an oncoming car. I can better gauge how close I am to the side in a left-hand drive car. It's slightly more difficult at busy traffic circles due to the A-pillar partially blocking your view, but overall it's not bad.
Makes sense actually,glad to hear it!

Back