Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New buyer. What are the Red Flags?

Thebeave

I am looking a few that are 88's and 89's around 200k miles. I am new to Land Cruisers, are there any red flags to look for?

rust, rust, rust, rust and err, did I mention rust!

sills, body mounts, chassis, tailgate. pretty much anywhere really. As a result of that, look out for filler and poor quality repairs.

if it's a 5 speed drive it in all gears including 5th. 5th is an add on and quite weak, doesn't like going for a long way at speed when it's hot. If it's noisy a gearbox rebuild could be on the cards for the future.

If it's got the later push button 4wd select make sure it engages. Leaks in the system can develop

Hi Thebeave, what country are you in? I want to know where there are a "few" 60's to look at and choose from!!, As Andy above states rust is the killer in the UK with the salt etc but if you are in the southern Hemisphere things may be altogether different.
Keep us posted.

Andy

Thanks for the replies!

Great advice, I will make sure to carefully check these issues out when I get to actually view the vehicles.

I am in the North West of the United states. Salty air exists but is not a major issue. We have wet weather for 8 months of the year though.

So are you looking for one that runs on gasoline or an oil burner? My advice, get one from the West Coast, condition is everything.

Andy

Gas I suppose. I am learning quite a bit as I continue to research though.

Thanks again for the input Andy

Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back