Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New calipers for the 80 - Advice needed

Ecoman

Country Flag
scotland
My '93 80 VX 12V is in need of some new calipers. I just changed the pads and I had a real job in trying to push back the pistons and get them moving freely. When I last changed the pads I noticed that the pistons were badly corroded around the top and someone in the past had kindly minced them with vice grips. At the same time I rebuilt the calipers with new seals and dust covers. The bodies of the calipers are pitted and I have decided to treat the truck to a new set.

Now this got me thinking (probably a bad thing) does anyone do a set of performance calipers for the 80? I have already fitted a set of 3G brake discs and I have tried all the usual names and had a search around the web and I can't find any definite answers.

Failing that, does anyone have any experience of the aftermarket calipers sold by Milners or should I just bite the bullet and buy the genuine ones?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Last edited:
My '93 80 VX 12V is in need of some new calipers. I just changed the pads and I had a real job in trying to push back the pistons and get them moving freely. When I last changed the pads I noticed that the pistons were badly corroded around the top and someone in the past had kindly minced them with vice grips. At the same time I rebuilt the calipers with new seals and dust covers. The bodies of the calipers are pitted and I have decided to treat the truck to a new set.

Now this got me thinking (probably a bad thing) does anyone do a set of performance calipers for the 80? I have already fitted a set of 3G brake discs and I have tried all the usual names and had a search around the web and I can't find any definite answers.

Failing that, does anyone have any experience of the aftermarket calipers sold by Milners or should I just bite the bullet and buy the genuine ones?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

hi this is an ebay item number I have bought these and they were great and only £56 delivered

Ebay. Number. 370832416446

Thanks for the reply Yotomotor. How long ago did you get them and how have they stood up to daily abuse?

Never heard of any uprated calipers I have to say. With good standard ones and good discs and pads the standard brakes should be just fine.

I know that one member had an issue with Milner calipers. They bought some and at least one was most definitely second hand and used. My thoughts are that was a mistake and some idiot packaged up a return item by mistake, but they were not very good about dealing with their foul up. That said, I have looked at their brakes in the shop and they were fine. You could also get a set from Mr Webster. Even if there needed a service. Can't recall the link now but there is a firm called Big Red I think on e-bay who do service kits including pistons and seals etc. I have used their stuff and it's been good.

I have a full spare set here and I was going to start cleaning and rebuilding them but when I got them out yesterday, I couldn't face it. I'm guessing they're worse than yours! I need one of those blasting cabinets. For the time it would take me, I'd be better off buying some new ones.

Genuine or aftermarket I am not sure just what could be a practical measure of how good a brake caliper is. Other than surface corrosion and finish, it would be hard to judge performance. I daren't ask how much genuine would be.

External pitting isn't really a problem and the pistons sit in the seal, so with new seals and new pistons they should really be every bit as good as new.

Morning Chris. If you decide on a blasting cabinet I should try one first. My friend has one and it's OK for pinheads with light rust but anything like a calliper would take about 8 hours to do. A decent car parts blaster takes a huge compressor even with a small nozzle because lots of cool dry air is required otherwise condensing water in the nozzle blocks the sand flow. A large enough nozzle for car parts takes an even bigger compressor. Wouldn't like to see you waste money. When I need any parts blasted I take them to a place where they have a PROPER blaster. Frightening.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Car parts 4 less will sell you Pagid calipers at a response price as well.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/brake-caliper

Just be sure you select the right ones, for my registration it likes to suggest 100 series parts so I usually select a '96 80 manually.

Last edited:
Cheers Frank. Never mentioned this before but I used to be a shot blaster. I mean full sized cabinet blasting in a foundry. Castings up to 20 tonnes. I have done bead blasting too with one of those small cabinets. I have never seen one of those Clarke style ones in use, but I can only imagine that you'd be better off with some sandpaper. I don't have anywhere local that I know of who would do something like soda blasting except maybe an alloy wheel company. Calipers need a gentle clean really.

Has anyone tried Pagid? I need some discs for the Corolla

I have Pagid discs and pads all round on the BMW and they have survived plenty of autobahn abuse. They do fade eventually but only if you are being silly, for example slowly braking from 145mph down to a sensible 70mph with your foot lightly on the brakes. Under medium to hard braking at very high speeds they work well.

Not tried the calipers but I did buy a set once as I thought I had a sticking calliper (turned out to be worn suspension components). They looked pretty good from the outside. Plastic covers on the brake hose threaded holes and the seals looked well fitted and all, other than that I can't tell you much more about the callipers.

Last edited:
No I returned them and they were for the BMW.

I only bought the rear ones as my fronts were fine, as for the time test I will let you know as I have only put them in recently.

but on first inspection they looked identical and went on with no problem, bleed them up job done.

I've just ordered a set of rears from Roughtrax as I needed them in the next couple of days. I'll post an update when they arrive. They are advertised as new rather than reconditioned.

Got to be better than this.....

dc709502-78d4-457c-a729-d951fa42fed0.jpg

It looks much worse than it is, the piston came out easily and the interior seal is fine. Might refurb it as a spare when I get the time.

1e205c75-95ef-4414-b9ab-535469915324.jpg

2ed60085-1e41-4178-a1d5-103056513bf6.jpg

I tend to agree with Chris as there's not a lot to a calliper, it's a piston and as long as the seals are ok they all should work equally.

Holy Cow! Mine are nearly new compared to that. I take back all I said about them. I don't think I have ever seen a caliper like that. The bore and seal look OK it's true, but getting the bellows to seat could be quite an ask.

To answer your question on Pagid disks, I've used them on my mini and they do as well as the oem ones as far as I can tell.

Put Blueprint ones on that afternoon. After I'd freed off the seized sliding pins. Now just need to wipe the blood off the steering wheel. Missus took it for a spin, I rather think it's braking much better. Ha ha.

I've just ordered a set of rears from Roughtrax as I needed them in the next couple of days. I'll post an update when they arrive. They are advertised as new rather than reconditioned.

Got to be better than this.....

dc709502-78d4-457c-a729-d951fa42fed0.jpg

It looks much worse than it is, the piston came out easily and the interior seal is fine. Might refurb it as a spare when I get the time.

1e205c75-95ef-4414-b9ab-535469915324.jpg

2ed60085-1e41-4178-a1d5-103056513bf6.jpg

I tend to agree with Chris as there's not a lot to a calliper, it's a piston and as long as the seals are ok they all should work equally.

Did you park it in a hedge in 1998 and forget about it til now????

Thanks for the input everyone.

Chris, it was a Big Red seal kit I used when I rebuilt them last time. The kits are great quality and the rubbers are still in excellent condition but the calipers have seen better days. OK maybe not as bad as yours Mr Jackaman:lol:

I'm still considering genuine Mr T as these have lasted since 1993 so can't be all bad.

Hi,
I got a full set of recon calipers from Brakeparts in Rochdale. Excellent quality and great guys to deal with. Threw in quite a few freebies too, seeing as it was a decent amount of cash spent.
Regards
Mark

Back