Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Clutch?

oostsco

Less than 2 weeks away from our Pyrenees trip and still loads to do - and now the 80 has a thrust bearing issue - terrible timing!!. Noise when the clutch is not engaged which goes away when it is engaged.

Do you suggest I change the clutch as well?

I don't think ill be able to do it myself (would try if I had time) - can anybody recommend a good mechanic in the Livingston/Edinburgh area who will not charge an arm and a leg?

Also - where would you recommend I get the parts - or do I go with Toyota only?

Thanks

Tobie

Don't forget to change the spigot bearing while you are changing the clutch.

Andy

I put a milners kit into mine not that long ago and the bearing rattled from day one, not to mention the rather weak pedal. It does the job and i'm currently in the alps but next time I would be going oem or a greddy heavy duty. you could try power-hosing the bellhousing through the rubber vent boot see if a good clean helps...

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
[QUOTE. Noise when the clutch is not engaged which goes away when it is engaged.

[/QUOTE]

This is the wrong way round. When you depress the clutch pedal you push the release bearing against the pressure plate. The bearing then turns and if it's naff, it makes a noise. When you are driving, the bearing is static and hence no noise.

Roger

I've experienced both and IMO it depends on what's wrong with the release bearing. I've had the cages come loose where the bearing itself is ok, that rattled like crazy when the pedal was relaxed but went silent on depression.

The other scenario is when the bearing is shot but the carrier is ok. As Roger commented, this is only noisy when the bearing is spinning and under load.

The cage is just the tube that slides on the nose that protrudes from the bell housing into the clutch housing. The cage is moved in and out of engagement by the operation of the clutch pedal. The release bearing is contained within the cage and the two are sold as one complete unit. They are not separable.

Roger

Great thanks Roger

By the way - just for the record (again), Simon (our Toyota parts guy) is just fantastic to deal with!

Back