Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New feature.....

EvilEd

Taking the 90 down to LC Overland today for some work and she developed an interesting trait.....

Been running for about an hour no issues, initial sign was the radio "resetting", then turning itself off for a few seconds, after this, the cruise control started cutting out and momentary power loss every few mins. The final stage was, radio off, power loss, speedo dropping, abs light on, cruise light off, only for a few seconds, but enough to make me jump.

Turned the radio off and it did it a couple of times more, and was then fine. ran for about 20 mins with no issues, I then turned the radio on again and within 10 mins it started playing up again, so turned the radio off and she was fine for the rest of the journey......

So, I fitted a new stereo last week, Kenwood KDC-BT30 unit from Halfrauds with an ISO adaptor off ebay. easy install, seemed to work fine, used the car on a few trips with no issues since. and was fine for the first hour today too..... It's not a the worlds most powerful radio at 4x50w against the 4 x 35w of the sony factory fit jobby.

So, million dollar question.... is the live feed to the radio from the same feed as the ECU, Alarm or similar that the extra draw is just enough to p off one of them, or am I missing something obvious ? Surely a radio could not draw enough power to drop the voltage with the engine running, I am sure it must be on a 10 or 20A fuse somewhere and with no lights on at the time (lights were on earlier when it had no issues).

One other thing, the first time it did it was just after using the horn and main beam at a pratt who undertook me and then cut me up!

Any ideas ? I don't get her back until Fri / Sat so can't do any investigation at the moment, but may take the Sony head with me for sound on the way back if it's going to play up.

Why don't you try taking the feed temporariliy from another source using an inline fuse ! if that cures it then you've answered your own question and you need to find a suitable feed !

Not got a ECU tuning box fitted have you? I used to get problems on a previous vehicle when I keyed up on my CB. It was the chip which didn't like it.

Chris

Not that I am aware of, but she is keen off the mark! Will have to check when I get her back.

Back