Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New guy with a HDJ81 in the US

beachtaco

Country Flag
united_states
Hey there,

This is new guy, Randy. I have a 1994 HDJ81 in the US and looking for information on how to maintain and repair the 81. Being on the east coast, there's no local shops near me to take it to to help so everything will be DIY. Will be doing the BEB this winter but looking for advice on white smoke during startup and acceleration and possibly the auto kick down cable since shifting seems off.

Thanks!

change the oil and filter every 5000 miles if using semi syth. fuel filter every other oil change.

start by changing the trans fluid, change it a few times as dropping the oil only removes about a third iirc.
check the "kickdown" cable, its actually the throttle cable. there should be no slack in the cable.

white smoke could be a number of things. incorrect timing, wrong injector washer thickness, too many injector washers! yes, ive come across this on a few occasions.. air being drawn into the fuel system.

check and clean if necessary the gauze filter on the fuel pick up in the tank.

download the FSM.

Last edited:
Welcome man! A good solid truck to have! The JDM 81's firstly didn't have great under coating on them so it's wise to inspect and research a good under coating because I think the East coast has salt on the roads in the winter..

Good to check the condition of the Auto transmission fluid and if dark to look into the way of changing the fluid with the engine running and using the pipes that run to the oil cooler in the base of the radiator... better way than draining the auto sump and refilling to the level because the most of the fluid is contained more internally than whats in the sump. So it could indeed improve shifting for you.

Hi. I have a 1996 HDJ81 that was made in Japan. I'm looking for advice and wisdom. In particular I'm trying to fix my air conditioning system but other matters will arise. Please let me know if you learn about good places to go for parts. Tom Simpson ([email protected])

Back