Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Member - Mitch

Ok guys so I want to move forward and replace my breaks, how is the best way to do this? All four of mine are completed rusted and don't work I have tried to bleed etc but seems to be beyond repair what have you guys done? Cheers

Hi Mitch,

I am assuming that you have drums all round. After standing for so long the wheel cylinders are probably goosed and the fluid itself will be polluted - it absorbs water from the atmosphere - so it is probably worth changing the fluid but before inspect the wheel cylinders and spray the brake sets with brake cleaner (avoid the faces of the shoes). You should be able to move the shoes and mechanisms a little each way - it could be just rust/standing and they just need freeing off. Check the vacuum hose to the servo unit. Looking at the pictures the fluid in the master cylinders looks very dark which is an indication that it's not well. Does the pedal move (with engine running)? If the pedal doesn't move or feel right then you may need to get a master cylinder rebuild kit. There are series of springs and seals in there and the seal could glued.
Start with a clean and, if necessary, wheel cylinders. If that's not better, or only slightly, change the fluid and and a final rebuild the master cylinder. Before you buy new wheel cylinders take one off - it is then fluid free and see if it push/pulls by hand. Pull back the rubbers and if it is messy/oily/rusty in there - change them. When you have some brake pedal working if the pressure stutters a bit when you push the pedal then the m/cylinder seals need doing.
If you need to change the fluid it may be worth doing the clutch system as well.

Regards,

Hi Mitch,

I am assuming that you have drums all round. After standing for so long the wheel cylinders are probably goosed and the fluid itself will be polluted - it absorbs water from the atmosphere - so it is probably worth changing the fluid but before inspect the wheel cylinders and spray the brake sets with brake cleaner (avoid the faces of the shoes). You should be able to move the shoes and mechanisms a little each way - it could be just rust/standing and they just need freeing off. Check the vacuum hose to the servo unit. Looking at the pictures the fluid in the master cylinders looks very dark which is an indication that it's not well. Does the pedal move (with engine running)? If the pedal doesn't move or feel right then you may need to get a master cylinder rebuild kit. There are series of springs and seals in there and the seal could glued.
Start with a clean and, if necessary, wheel cylinders. If that's not better, or only slightly, change the fluid and and a final rebuild the master cylinder. Before you buy new wheel cylinders take one off - it is then fluid free and see if it push/pulls by hand. Pull back the rubbers and if it is messy/oily/rusty in there - change them. When you have some brake pedal working if the pressure stutters a bit when you push the pedal then the m/cylinder seals need doing.
If you need to change the fluid it may be worth doing the clutch system as well.

Regards,

Thanks mate,
I have found a local shop that I can get all the new parts I need so next month when I get some spare time I'm going to jack her up and do all 4 wheels, going to replace the drums break shoes and pretty much all the mechanics evolved, I have checked the fluid lines when I bled the breaks and there doesn't seem to be any issues with the lines, I figure that it will be better in the long run to go overboard with the breaks as they are sorter important haha
Cheers
Mitch

Ok guys so i have finally got around to uploading some photos after having a play with the old girl again today.

today i unbolted the seats that the Fj came with i believe they are out of a jeep, and i think the metal stands have been home made to suit the seats, can someone please upload a photo for me so i can see what the stock original front seats look like? also the rear bench seats?

i also finally got rid of the 253 out of the back and gave her a quick degreese and wash down where it sat in the back of the FJ.

IMG_0139_zps6oaracjp.jpg

IMG_0140_zpswm1tnp4z.jpg

IMG_0141_zpsincwmqak.jpg

IMG_0142_zps5ivepjhd.jpg

IMG_0143_zpsl31e6e6q.jpg

IMG_0144_zpsdnug2arh.jpg

IMG_0145_zpsatwpupy8.jpg

IMG_0146_zps6yqseplh.jpg

IMG_0147_zpsikiqi8f2.jpg

IMG_0148_zpstcvh55nq.jpg

IMG_0149_zpsccgcewzk.jpg

IMG_0151_zps7v7giswa.jpg

IMG_0152_zpsvw6fofny.jpg

IMG_0154_zpsh3deuzii.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is for?

IMG_0157_zpsv7xpz0lw.jpg

IMG_0158_zpsgx9wmfdt.jpg

253 Gone

IMG_0159_zpsht9yxhc5.jpg

IMG_0160_zpspma2ddvp.jpg

IMG_0163_zpshpk6p4vb.jpg

IMG_0164_zpsjojljx9i.jpg

IMG_0165_zpswrs8df8g.jpg

IMG_0166_zpsqns9jr8j.jpg

IMG_0166_zpsqns9jr8j.jpg

IMG_0167_zpsshaughxw.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this electrical cable does? I'm assuming it is some form of sensor for the fuel tank?

IMG_0161_zpsjqzq2gyd.jpg

Cheers Mitch

I've been trying to research the paint code for what my original colour was on the car and from what I can see on the inside of the door before it got painted the weird green I think it might be rustic green? Does anyone know how I can confirm this and get the correct paint code for this as I believe it is 621? Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Does anyone know where I can find a photo of an original dash for a 76 fj40? I want to try and figure out where which button goes where? Cheers

Hi Mitch,

The seat mount over the fuel tank looks to be correct but the passenger's side isn't.
The unidentified piece looks like the strip that goes over the rear doors when there's a hardtop on. How long is the piece?

Some reading for you:
http://www.cruiserfaq.com/00-01.php
http://www.sor.com

The first has a section on paint codes which may answer that question, if not, let me know because there many more info sites.
If you use sor their diagrams are from the factory fiches and the position of the switches is shown in the detailed section on dashboards (and seat mounts, etc). Ensure you select the correct year group as there were changes in 75, 77 and 80.

I guess you already know that you are going to have to have a good look under the checker plate sections but based on the condition of the rest of the truck it may not hold too many surprises, hopefully it was fitted in the load bed to protect the floor. However in the foot well maybe a different matter as it is a known rust area.
The round plate on the tank is the top of the fuel level sensor.

Currently we are scraping the old underseal from the bottom of our truck which has got to be the worst job!

Cheers

Hi Mitch,

The seat mount over the fuel tank looks to be correct but the passenger's side isn't.
The unidentified piece looks like the strip that goes over the rear doors when there's a hardtop on. How long is the piece?

Some reading for you:
http://www.cruiserfaq.com/00-01.php
http://www.sor.com

The first has a section on paint codes which may answer that question, if not, let me know because there many more info sites.
If you use sor their diagrams are from the factory fiches and the position of the switches is shown in the detailed section on dashboards (and seat mounts, etc). Ensure you select the correct year group as there were changes in 75, 77 and 80.

I guess you already know that you are going to have to have a good look under the checker plate sections but based on the condition of the rest of the truck it may not hold too many surprises, hopefully it was fitted in the load bed to protect the floor. However in the foot well maybe a different matter as it is a known rust area.
The round plate on the tank is the top of the fuel level sensor.

Currently we are scraping the old underseal from the bottom of our truck which has got to be the worst job!

Cheers

Thanks roger,

What is missing from the passenger side seat? Have you got a photo you can take of this? I will get the measurement when I go out to the shed next but from memory it would be around 1200mm?

Excellent I've already had a look at the first website and finally can confirm that the colour is rustic green code 621, which is good news

I will look at the next one now and have a look it will be good to identify what holes are for what etc. the idiot who owned it previously has cut extra holes to fit aftermarket stuff so it will most likely be up to a panel beater to make those go away....

Yeah I know I'm not real happy that there is a checker plate floor... I would have preferred original, im not sure how I'm going to go about fixing this...

Yeah I thought so it's just there were a few wires that ran to the back of the fj but didn't actually go to anything I thought there might have been speakers or something up the back idk

If anyone has original seats front and rear if you could take photos of them and how they are fixed to the cab etc that would be perfect

Cheers

Hi Mitch,

My seats are not original - my driver's seat is from a truck - weight balanced etc and I never had original rear seats - but I found a photo for you although there was an earlier version that had 3 seats in the front. https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/-266228279

Not very clear photos but, hopefully, they will be good enough of the dashboard:
DSCF8014.JPG DSCF8017.JPG

Top row (left to right): Hazards; engine stop (diesel); heater switch (mine is stuck so I'm not sure what it does!;
Bottom row: ignore the red switch that's from when she was a winch race truck; wash/wipe; heater fan; fresh air control; cig lighter.
The third row is usually where the radio would go but we don't have one as the music comes from the exhaust!
Next photo: other side of dashpod: light switch and below is the glow plug sensor which won't apply to you. On the later models, 42s & LX version, they had a small rev counter next to the main pod and the light switch repositioned.

I'll go through a few other sites tonight and see if I can find more info about the seat fixings, etc..

If the bits under the checker plate are not good a body man could cut them out and weld in a patch panel - they are available in Europe and USA and I would think they'd be in Oz.

I will look around today re the 1200mm piece but nothing, other than the hardtop rail, springs to mind.

Cheers

Hi Mitch,

My seats are not original - my driver's seat is from a truck - weight balanced etc and I never had original rear seats - but I found a photo for you although there was an earlier version that had 3 seats in the front. https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/-266228279

Not very clear photos but, hopefully, they will be good enough of the dashboard:
View attachment 25474 View attachment 25475

Top row (left to right): Hazards; engine stop (diesel); heater switch (mine is stuck so I'm not sure what it does!;
Bottom row: ignore the red switch that's from when she was a winch race truck; wash/wipe; heater fan; fresh air control; cig lighter.
The third row is usually where the radio would go but we don't have one as the music comes from the exhaust!
Next photo: other side of dashpod: light switch and below is the glow plug sensor which won't apply to you. On the later models, 42s & LX version, they had a small rev counter next to the main pod and the light switch repositioned.

I'll go through a few other sites tonight and see if I can find more info about the seat fixings, etc..

If the bits under the checker plate are not good a body man could cut them out and weld in a patch panel - they are available in Europe and USA and I would think they'd be in Oz.

I will look around today re the 1200mm piece but nothing, other than the hardtop rail, springs to mind.

Cheers

Thanks very much roger
im gunna try get the old girl out tomorrow and sort thru some spare parts and see what I have I got given a whole box of small things so hoping that they are al there, the only button that seems to work for me that is actually still in the fi is one of the wipers work which I wasn't expecting at all, but the lights have been run of an after market switch which I'll remove. Ill take some photos and post tomorrow of spares and the dash if I have trouble figuring it out and I will measure and try take a better picture of the rail, from what you have said and my own thoughts I reckon it would be the rail that goes above the barn doors? Not entirely sure if that's off the mark or not but I assume that there would be something that connects both side panned together as well as the roof..
i have researched and found a guy that sells fj40 parts from qld oz and for the 2 side panels it's $700 for the pair, $500 for the roof, and $600 I think for the barn doors so once I do the breaks that will be my next step
thanks again for your help
cheers Mitch

Hi Mitch,

I am convinced that the rail is to do with the hardtop. Connects the side panels and roof above the barn doors, as you say.

Just a thought...
As you have the rail that connects the hardtop side panels then does the guy you got the truck from still have the hardtop? The price for the top seems expensive. For that price you could buy the one you originally found and have a nearly complete set of spares.

Maybe worth giving Chris at FnB a call as he has a bloke working for him who is very knowledgeable on 40s and he may know of others available. Chris is Blown80 on here so you could pm him and also has ads so his phone number is on here (I just can't find it!).

Anything in the spares that doesn't may sense or is unidentified - post photos and we'll try and sort them

Cheers

Hi Mitch,

I am convinced that the rail is to do with the hardtop. Connects the side panels and roof above the barn doors, as you say.

Just a thought...
As you have the rail that connects the hardtop side panels then does the guy you got the truck from still have the hardtop? The price for the top seems expensive. For that price you could buy the one you originally found and have a nearly complete set of spares.

Maybe worth giving Chris at FnB a call as he has a bloke working for him who is very knowledgeable on 40s and he may know of others available. Chris is Blown80 on here so you could pm him and also has ads so his phone number is on here (I just can't find it!).

Anything in the spares that doesn't may sense or is unidentified - post photos and we'll try and sort them

Cheers

i find it quiet strange that it came with that rail as the fj came with a soft top so at some point you would think that he would have had the hard top.

i have thought about buying another complete car but would have to find the room to keep it and knowing me I would want to restore both of them lol but I check the sites everyday to see what's out there so hopefully something comes up close and for a good price

Yeah nice ill chase him up the more information the better

going out to the shed in a few hours and I'll see what I find

cheers

So today I got a abit distracted and didn't get a chance to play with her but did come across a question.

does anyone know how I can fit a baby seat in an fj40 is it able to be fitted to a rear original bench seat?

cheers

Hi Mitch,

I don't know the answer to the child seat question but I have had some thoughts...

40s were designed pre seat belts and the rear seats are north/south rather than the conventional east/west:
Fitting seat belts to them isn't a problem but a child seat is designed to be placed in the conventional east/west seating facing forward or, in some cases, backward. The rear bench seat position suggests that the child's head incurs unrestrained movement just in the normal course of the vehicle's movement - not a good thing.

I appreciate that you are restoring the truck but it may be worth considering a couple (well one anyway) of the fold up rear seats from the later cruisers (7/8 seater trucks) as they would fold out of the way when needed and would have the seat belts and locations integral in the design. There is a similar fold-away rear seat designed for LRs (see www.devon4x4.com/forward-fold-up-l-h-black-vinyl.html). In years to come when you no longer need to employ the child seat/s you can remove them and install the correct rear seats.
th?id=OIP.M60cbfaefcacbc4cff60ec7ffe773388fo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300.jpg

LRs have the same problem so it maybe worth looking to see how they get over the problem. Cool Cruisers of Texas do forward facing rear seat for the 40 series.

Sorry to be negative re the n/s bench seats but I don't think a child seat would work properly attached to one of them.

Cheers

Hi Mitch,

I don't know the answer to the child seat question but I have had some thoughts...

40s were designed pre seat belts and the rear seats are north/south rather than the conventional east/west:
Fitting seat belts to them isn't a problem but a child seat is designed to be placed in the conventional east/west seating facing forward or, in some cases, backward. The rear bench seat position suggests that the child's head incurs unrestrained movement just in the normal course of the vehicle's movement - not a good thing.

I appreciate that you are restoring the truck but it may be worth considering a couple (well one anyway) of the fold up rear seats from the later cruisers (7/8 seater trucks) as they would fold out of the way when needed and would have the seat belts and locations integral in the design. There is a similar fold-away rear seat designed for LRs (see www.devon4x4.com/forward-fold-up-l-h-black-vinyl.html). In years to come when you no longer need to employ the child seat/s you can remove them and install the correct rear seats.
th?id=OIP.M60cbfaefcacbc4cff60ec7ffe773388fo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300.jpg

LRs have the same problem so it maybe worth looking to see how they get over the problem. Cool Cruisers of Texas do forward facing rear seat for the 40 series.

Sorry to be negative re the n/s bench seats but I don't think a child seat would work properly attached to one of them.

Cheers

this is awesome and really thinking outside the box, thanks very much Rodger!
i didn't even think of this, so since reading this what I might do it still chase down a pair of original fold outseats,
however I will fit them and make sure they work and then wrap them up and store them, then install this type of seating for bubs.
a positive I love that they fold up and you can still use plenty of storage if me and the wife need it for whatever reason.
Thanks very much Rodger!
cheers

Ok, so i just went out to the shed and had a look in the boxes that i was given when i purchased.

Rodger,
i didn't have a tape measure on me but i had the piece next to my 1200 level and it seemed to be 50mm longer than it here is a photo of it in the rear of my fj, what are your thoughts?

IMG_0345_zpsxilzquji.jpg

i have no real idea and can't find photos how the roof sits above the barn doors so i can only assume that it attaches there somehow?

here are photos of spares, some of which i don't know what they are for so maybe you can help me out. cheers

IMG_0331_zpswczqlspv.jpg

IMG_0332_zpsf2arbvho.jpg

IMG_0333_zpsrnrctino.jpg

Unsure of what this is for?

IMG_0334_zpsqpfw7joa.jpg

This has some form of gears on it just no idea what its for I'm assuming its just spares and not actually missing from the FJ?

IMG_0335_zpsxgb0kjpn.jpg

Am i right in saying that these are for the windscreen when and if i were to fold it down?

IMG_0336_zpstr3kti4r.jpg

Not sure what this is for

IMG_0337_zpsgps51lsu.jpg

I know that this is the glove box and ash tray but is there some form of hook that the 3 holes is for?

IMG_0338_zps8yrzp2yj.jpg

this seems to be two clear lights, just unsure of their location and the two cover looking items i don't know what they are?

IMG_0339_zpscutcammx.jpg

Unsure of what this is for

IMG_0340_zpsbvp6oyp9.jpg

Im assuming this is two horns but I'm unsure of where the original mount for them was?

IMG_0341_zpsw6opalhl.jpg

Not sure of what this is

IMG_0342_zpswqokjtyi.jpg

some form of handles but unsure as to their location?

IMG_0343_zpswthpwwlp.jpg

this seems to be some form of light or blinker but doesn't look original? unsure of location as well

IMG_0344_zpsbw0hueqy.jpg

anyways thats what i have, so now i have to figure out what I'm missing which will fun, so if anyone could point out what I'm missing i can start chasing up the little bits and pieces.

cheers guys
mitch

Hi Mitch,
I'll try and give you an idea about the pieces and come down according to the photos on your post and if you think it will help I can photograph the same bits on my truck so you know where they go.
But first the 1200mm strip of metal: Your truck has a tailgate so if and when it had a hardtop it would have had a lift up hatch so I'll have a look through various of my pictures and drawings (downloaded) and see if we are on the right track.
Photo 2: 'Toyota' badge is grille badge. 'land cruiser' badge goes on side panel below bonnet above the wing. Small handle at bottom right is the glove box handle and clip. Top middle bracket is possibly the steering column bracket.
Photo 3: 'Toyota' and 4wd badges fit on rear curved panel RH side
Photo 4: top RH looks like a tailgate hinge and in the bag next to it looks like a h/top hatch hinge.
Photo 5: wiper motor cover - outside below screen
Photo 6: spare distributor
Photo 7: Bonnet latches - fit at front on sides
Photo 8: Bonnet lock - fits inside stops bonnet opening without moving handle
Photo 9: Glove box door and ashtray
Photo10: Number plate lights and top covers for them.
Photo11: Door handle case (inside)
Photo12: Horns usually mount to the side of the radiator - the wiring loom will give a clue as to which side.
Photo13: I think this is the retainer for the w/screen when folded flat - not sure 'cos I don't have them.
Photo14: Non-standard
Photo15: probably a reversing light which may have been wired up to the gearbox.

Going back to the fold away/ forward facing rear seat. Years ago I found a really trick one, made aftermarket for LRs, that folded into itself then twisted round on to the wheel arch for storage and it had integral seat belts. I will continue my search for it. It was from one of the LR specialist trimming companies so the list isn't that long.

Whenever we have taken any part off the truck, when replacing it we've used stainless steel nuts (locknuts when poss), washers and bolts - makes it easy if you have to go back there and they look good and wash up well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Hi Mitch,
I'll try and give you an idea about the pieces and come down according to the photos on your post and if you think it will help I can photograph the same bits on my truck so you know where they go.
But first the 1200mm strip of metal: Your truck has a tailgate so if and when it had a hardtop it would have had a lift up hatch so I'll have a look through various of my pictures and drawings (downloaded) and see if we are on the right track.
Photo 2: 'Toyota' badge is grille badge. 'land cruiser' badge goes on side panel below bonnet above the wing. Small handle at bottom right is the glove box handle and clip. Top middle bracket is possibly the steering column bracket.
Photo 3: 'Toyota' and 4wd badges fit on rear curved panel RH side
Photo 4: top RH looks like a tailgate hinge and in the bag next to it looks like a h/top hatch hinge.
Photo 5: wiper motor cover - outside below screen
Photo 6: spare distributor
Photo 7: Bonnet latches - fit at front on sides
Photo 8: Bonnet lock - fits inside stops bonnet opening without moving handle
Photo 9: Glove box door and ashtray
Photo10: Number plate lights and top covers for them.
Photo11: Door handle case (inside)
Photo12: Horns usually mount to the side of the radiator - the wiring loom will give a clue as to which side.
Photo13: I think this is the retainer for the w/screen when folded flat - not sure 'cos I don't have them.
Photo14: Non-standard
Photo15: probably a reversing light which may have been wired up to the gearbox.

Going back to the fold away/ forward facing rear seat. Years ago I found a really trick one, made aftermarket for LRs, that folded into itself then twisted round on to the wheel arch for storage and it had integral seat belts. I will continue my search for it. It was from one of the LR specialist trimming companies so the list isn't that long.

Whenever we have taken any part off the truck, when replacing it we've used stainless steel nuts (locknuts when poss), washers and bolts - makes it easy if you have to go back there and they look good and wash up well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

thanks very much rodger
you have been more than helpful! I was going to go and have a look at another 76 fj40 today but he sold it so I couldn't, it was far from running and had fuck off engine left but all the bits and pieces were there... So I'm abit Devo about it... Would have been good to have a doner fj...

this got me thinking of a side project while doing the fj. Has anyone seen an fj40 trailer? I have seen only a few on google images, so I was thinking I could use the cab off the doner car for a trailer, cut it off at where the door starts, have two aluminium toolboxes floating above the cab on a ste frame so you can use storage below and then have a roof top tent on top of the toolboxes the toolboxes would be for camping equipment... I will draw something up and post once I nut it out abit more but could be some fun

If you you can find the page for the fold out seats that would be awesome that last link didn't work for me and would be awesome to get those ordered and on their way I plan on doing the breaks at the end of the month when I get more time off work and once I've had my first proper drive I'll be hooked for sure!

cheers

Hi Mitch,

Shame about the spare fj but keep looking as it makes for cheap spares and I like the idea of the trailer, so am looking forward to the drawing. Sounds neat.

I'll attempt to put some links below re the seats etc:
http://www.sor.com/cat118.sor?tabpage=TAB3
http://www.sor.com/cat311.sor

And the 1200mm is a dashpad retainer (I've been through a bumch of body pics and drawings and that's the only thing that fits the bill):
http://www.sor.com/cat172.sor

The switch positions:
http://www.sor.com/cat176.sor

CCOT also have rear seats: http://www.coolcruisers.com/
They also have front seat riser kits. But for OEM www.sor.com are best but not necessarily the cheapest.

I am off the the UK for 10-14 days as my son is coming out of hospital after his motorcycle crash, but I'll still access the forum when I have time but won't have access to the tech stuff other than what I can remember(!) which, at my age, is probably not a lot!

Hope this helps and that you can access them. If www.sor.com is a problem search under spector offroad.

Cheers,

Back