Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New member says hi

reirracpoort

Hi, I'm from the NT, Australia. I currently own a non working gu patrol.

Currently waiting for delivery of a 78 series troopie. (yes, the air con is an optional extra!)

I'm researching a few mods to enhance engine longevity and mods to make it easier out bush.

Still trying to pick where most people here are from. Seem to be from all over the globe.

BTW what is 'green laning'?

Last edited:
Still trying to pick where most people here are from. Seem to be from all over the globe.
BTW what is 'green laning'?
Welcome OZ.

Most people in here are members of some obscure English boys' club, driving 80-series, or so it seems sometimes :icon-biggrin:
(OK, there are a few 90's as well)

But, a few of us are from around the globe, or driving other land cruisers. Generally everyone is welcome, great to "see a new face". The 78 is the dream-machine for many gear-heads.

Sure someone will chime in on Green Laning, but it is some kind of "near off-roading" on roads in the greenery. (What we in Norway call countryside roads):)

Last edited:
Green laning is a general term for traveling cross country i guess , we don't have an outback or anything similar here in the UK so routes generally follow old river beds or cattle tracks and the like encountering roads is part and parcel of it and if your lucky you can just cross over it but more often than not your forced to follow it to get to the next unpaved track whether it leads to a forgotten quarry , an old logging track or a derelict farm house .

Most members have their location printed under their avatar but i can understand your confusion because we have more than a few erm displaced persons if i may call them that ? don't be suprized to find an ozzy in Germany or a UK Brummie in Birmingham USA !

More than a few members own several cruisers of different series so be warned they are addictive , the troopie usually gets plenty of these :drool: so welcome .

Welcome

good old Wikipedia has this on green laning
Green laning (or two-tracking) is a leisure pursuit, generally suitable for any four-wheel-drive vehicle, even those without modifications or additional equipment. The term green lane refers to the fact that the routes are predominantly along unsurfaced tracks, forest tracks, or older roadways that may have fallen into disuse

A green lane is a type of road, usually an unpaved rural route

Seems to be more a UK reference than anywhere else

Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

For engine longevity look for something like this:

http://www.waterindiesel.com.au/8186/Water-Watch-FAQs/

The V8 TD engine can easily be damaged by poor fuel so having a pre filter before your main fuel filter, with a water alarm would be good insurance. :icon-wink:

Green lanes are roads in the UK that never got tarmacked, usually because they go up and over steep mountains/through rivers etc. sometimes because they wernt very well used/in the middle of no where and sometimes because they were just farm/cattle tracks. :icon-ugeek:

Theres still a few around but over half of them have been closed and the future of the remaining open ones are sadly in serious jeopardy. :thumbdown:

If you want to see what a UK greenlaning trip typically looks like check this out:

http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/greenlaning-in-north-wales-08/12/14/blog_293.html

They get out greenlaning regularly and I'm currently waiting for the most recent trip report to go up, which was an epic snow trip and from what I've heard from the guys who did the trip it was quite an adventure with cars ending up on their sides and others nearly slipping off steep mountain sides! :icon-twisted:

http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/index.php?_a=viewBlogs

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi buddy ,Welcome to the forum . I'm also from the NT and once owned a 75 series Troopy but the rustmites ate it , now own a 95 series RV6 . Good luck with the 78 , there will be no stopping you now ..cheers Mick

Back