Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Michelin Airless Tyres

thelostscott

Country Flag
new_zealand
Not sure if people have seen this email floating around, but thought I would post for fun.... :think:

These new generation tyres are made by Michelin in South Carolina, USA and were displayed at the Philadelphia car show recently.

Tyre1.jpg

Tyre2.jpg

Tyre3.jpg

Yes, those are 'spoke' like connections to the inner part of the tyre from the outside tread 'wrap!' The next picture shows how odd it looks in motion...

Tyre4.jpg

Makes you wonder how the ride feels doesn't it?

Tyre5.jpg

Tyre6.jpg

Tyre7.jpg

Tyre8.jpg

These tyres are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.
The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these.
Just think of the impact on existing technology:
A. no more air valves...
B. no more air compressors at gas stations...
C. no more repair kits...
D. no more flats...

That sounds a bit weird, but can't see the pictures though, and do they come in various 'pressures'?

Mmmmm,

Some thing wrong with the pictures?

Gra.

Sorry, had a wrong URL in there so I could see them but nobody else could, should be good now?

Great, picture are showing now, I seem to remember tyres like this were proposed many years ago :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wonder what happens to the wheel balance when you play in the mud?

No way of increasing the footprint by airing down to go and play in the mud. Maybe you can take the rubber off and use the rim like a paddle-steamer :lol:

I wonder what the longevity of the flexy spokes would be on high-speed dirt road use where there are lots of corrugations?

H'mmm nice idea but it has certain limitations - ones which comes to mind immediately is that you can't alter the "pressure" to suit load and/or terrain etc. Plus, I assume you MUST carry a spare? A can of tyre foam isn't going to do any good! ;)

it's just a glorified wagon wheel really :D , as chadr said you can't adjust the load for different weight vehicles and no increasing the footprint = :thumbdown: , also the road noise on those is beyond terrible because of the way the spokes are inside the tyre from them rolling on the road surface and air passing through them

Back