Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Owner of an Old Troopy

Richard10

Country Flag
australia
Hi All,
Day2 of my Land Cruiser Club Experience! My Troopy is being shipped down to me from the Gold Coast and wanted to start doing some reading and getting my mechanical brain working again (what there is of it). So I have two questions:

Firstly on Manuals and recommendations - I don't mind paying for them (if someone has free copies, then woohoo!) but was just looking for a decent PDF Version for the iPad and Good Old Fashioned Paper version. Gregory's looks like the go for the latter, and wondered if anyone had tried out ebay for the former? Saw this and looks fine, well, fine apart from the lack 78 model...any thoughts and suggestions? If this is has been asked a million times (which I'm sure it has) and is elsewhere on the forum then if you could point me in the right direction I'll happily totter off there.

Secondly was around mechanics in Melbourne, are there any great recommendations out there? I'd be keen to learn as much as possible so if you know of any night-time mechanical courses groups or teams or workshops or friends or tea-ladies are running I'd be all ears. Again I don't expect anything for free, but other than changing a few filters, oils and tyres and spark plugs (my old V8 Landy) I'm keen to learn more to manage my new 4.2 Liter 1HZ.

Thanks all!
Richard

Welcome aboard Richard, nice intro, but where's the photos?

I suppose you'll say we have to wait till it arrives.... :confusion-waiting:

Managing a 4.2 liter 1HZ?

No worries, change the oil and filters on the dot, the cam belt on the dot and she'll go for a million km.

JMHO

There we go! :) The 450ks are based off a reconditioned engine 100ks ago, so should be relatively young

Welcome aboard Richard, nice intro, but where's the photos?

I suppose you'll say we have to wait till it arrives.... :confusion-waiting:

Managing a 4.2 liter 1HZ?

No worries, change the oil and filters on the dot, the cam belt on the dot and she'll go for a million km.

JMHO

ad_1498806137093.jpg

Very, very smart, good find!

My old 1HZ is coming up to 400k km, it had loads of irregular service (or none) abuse before I got it, the first 11 years of its life to 212k km. I've nursed it since in my 11 years ownership, with regular oil and filter changes, so it's fingers crossed for me.

Did the BEBs, but it didn't need 'em, peace of mind and all that.

Seriously, there's nothing much to do, just fix stuff as it goes (if any) you've probably got the most simple, reliable, overdesigned, bomb-proof engine toyota ever built, they just keep going...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@clivehorridge thanks Clive! As above, with the Defender it broke down A LOT so am a bit weary. Will equip myself with the basics and then see how I go!

Ahem, the only similarity your truck has to a Defender is a wheel in each corner.

That's where it ends.

Forget the past, you're into proper vehicle territory now, they don't break down!

Back