Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New owner seeking advice and thoughts!

Beas23

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi everyone, new to the land cruisers group and seeking advice!!!!

Im looking at buying this 1996 land cruiser prado 3.0 Japanese import, its been mapped apparently, have been told its quick but havnt test drove yet (thats on Thursday)

Been told its got a 6" lift kit... Its on 35" tyres but to me the arch gap doesn't look big enough to be 6" lift? Thoughts?
Im just concerned of the tyres catching when articulating off road especially whilst turning.

After looking online i cant see a 6" lift kit... Biggest i found was 3.

Also what shall i be looking for, are there any specific areas to look in?

Also how available are parts? Are there any websites people have found helpful for buying arms, bushes, engine parts etc etc.

Any advice and comments regarding the lift will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Ben

Attachments

• received_485905922848970.jpeg
    received_485905922848970.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 67
  • received_1123092155186820.jpeg
    received_1123092155186820.jpeg
    629.9 KB · Views: 71
  • received_926192748024209.jpeg
    received_926192748024209.jpeg
    702.8 KB · Views: 73
Welcome. 6" lift? Maybe a combined suspension lift and body lift. But I'm pretty sure that you couldn't do a suspension lift that big without some very major engineering such as a solid front axle swap. Because the Prado is an IFS set up, the most you can usually lift one is about 2 1/2" before the front drive shafts are at a crazy angle. Yes you can then drop the diff a little but not a great deal. Shayne has done some pretty big lifts on this model so will be more current than I am. But 6" on suspension alone sounds like quite an unusual and difficult thing to pull off. Added to which, those tyres look knackered in places.

Between the main dealer, Roughtrax and Milners you'll find enough parts to keep one well maintained.

He has included the extra tyre inches and i'm not at all convinced they are 35's .

2" body lift + 2" suspension lift + 33" tyres (up 2" over standard) = 6" .

The tyres might actually say 35" on them but many brands tend to exaggerate and few are accurate , plenty have bought 33" only to find their own tape measure says 31" , much skinnier tyres than mine which is more forgiving when it comes to making them fit .

Hi Chris,

Thank you, what's IFS?

And I think you're right... from previous experience with landys there's no way of doing 6 inch without changing much much more in terms of props etc.

Thanks for your business links

Hi Shayne.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not convinced they're 35s either...I had 33s on a D2 and they were much wider. These honestly look like my old 265 width.

And yes he must be including the tyres. I've not actually met the owner yet so all these are good points to make and question.

These prone to any faults in particular areas, rust etc do you know?

Thanks

IFS independent front suspension .

At that height you will have no trouble getting under the rear end to check the frame and mounts for rust . The bodywork survives incredibly well .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just noticed rear LH taillight is cracked, this is a common aftermarket part though.

Apart from the bonnet the paint looks in great condition for a 1996 model!

The MOT history isnt the best, and it has no current MOT. From your pics it looks loke it has a fair bit of off-road rash.

Agree with other comments on the lift and tyres. And exactly what I was thinking Dave - looks as though it was built for and used off road. I'd want to go over that pretty carefully, especially underneath - he's fitted a snorkel, so has it been wading, etc, etc....

Looks like it’s been an off road toy. Definitely check out the underneath for damage, also the rear of the chassis and rear axle for corrosion.

Check the coolant .

Just got to thinking why would someone sell such a toy and cracked/warped heads are an unfortunate part of history for these trucks .

I would also urge caution.

Wheels are badly impacted in places, rocks probably. Rock sliders in place of side steps are 'agricultural' at best - in that they wouldnt slide over slippery slime.... front and rear bumper have both 'seen action' and I'm not sure why the spare wheel mount has been deleted, but combined with the black bonnet worries me that the paint is not from the factory.

Sorry to put a downer on a prospective purchase, but there are better examples out there for sure. But if you are looking for an off road toy that you don't mind a bump or two, then it might well suit

It looks like is been on the passenger side, all the body arches are screwed on, a big dent high up in the rear pillar, rear spoiler is missing the end and the passenger headlight looks like it points downwards sidelight / indicator doesn’t fit properly, I’d be concerned at what damage is below arch flares & behind the crumpled bumpers, add that with the tyre type and the other comments I’d agree it’s been toy to play in. Ask about the remap, was it done by a reputable tuner or just a driveway flashover, upping fuel and boost to give you black smoke and overheating problems. I’d be very careful unless it’s cheap as chips, you are able to do a thorough inspection for rust & running issues and be able complete repairs yourself.

Last edited:
16396351064055403423991097516925.jpg

Compare to the passenger side of my one (LWB though but I guess the wheel arch and door interface will be similar)

Is it me or does this just not look right? may be after a few beers it all looks perfect :think: bashed around a bit off road as mentioned throughout this post

1639659212139.png

IIRC, Stuzbot had that on his Collie when he bought it with the sidelight misaligned, and there was all sorts of damage hidden behind the grill and bumper.

To me it screams of off road abuse, Personally I would give it a wide berth. The rad might be clogged up with mud and rubbish which would no doubt lead to the inevitable.....

I'd want that at a very keen price, there could be all sorts lurking.

Some good sleuthing.

It's worth adding that these can take off-road (ab)use very well (within reason) and that should not in itself put a buyer off if the price is right, and it fits the purpose for which you want it. My Collie's bodywork is battered, bits are misaligned and the grille is held on with cable ties but I love it. Obviously it will require careful checking though.

Back