Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Tires Needed Advice Appreciated

I was offered a set of 5 for €1,000 (here) when I didn't have the money:doh:, which is somewhat less than that.

Mine was for 4 tyres there Clive for €910. You seem to have a better deal there.

The Jinyu brand priced were lower that came in their day at 2300TL €625/ 650TL €175 each.

Thought they would be cheaper than that. Looking at a few more places tomorrow for better deals.

Don't do the miles in the 80 series now as its used as a second car. Just can't justify paying so much for the tyres this time around. Like the existing coopers there gonna age more than get worn out!!

I mentioned similar in another thread:

I have Maxxis Trepadors in ø37" - a friend has BFG on his Patrol at ø35"

I personally rate the BFG to be 95% as good as the Treps and a lot less to buy.

Also, they are radial, the treps are bias and flat spot overnight - next time Im going BFG

I mentioned similar in another thread:

I have Maxxis Trepadors in ø37" - a friend has BFG on his Patrol at ø35"

I personally rate the BFG to be 95% as good as the Treps and a lot less to buy.

Also, they are radial, the treps are bias and flat spot overnight - next time Im going BFG

Looking around & getting quotes there is not a lot of variant availility on the all terrain tyre & this size here. More choices in the Mud Terrian it seems Roger & haven't seen yet any Maxxis Trepadors so far. Thanks for sharing.

Been waiting for more pricing that's been my search until now.

Today heard back from a supplier giving prices as-

Yokohama GO12 : €750
BF Goodrich TA/KO2 : €870

This is the cheapest so far. My preferred choice is BF Goodrich but there is a fair price difference with the Yokohama's worth looking at.

Last edited:
For what its worth, I had 305/70/16s on the 80 Series, and switched to 285/75/16s when it came to renew (stock alloys, 2'" lift) - personally I prefer the way it handles on the 285s, seems to ride better too.

In terms of tyre choices, I'd favour BFGs or Coopers (currently running Discoverer STTs and very happy with them). Tried various other brands, but keep coming back to these. Ran Kumho KL71s on the Landy for a while - good option at the time, but their prices have rocketed recently.... as above, not a fan of Yoko Geolanders which I have on the 4x4 Camper but wouldn't put on a Cruiser....

For what its worth, I had 305/70/16s on the 80 Series, and switched to 285/75/16s when it came to renew (stock alloys, 2'" lift) - personally I prefer the way it handles on the 285s, seems to ride better too.

In terms of tyre choices, I'd favour BFGs or Coopers (currently running Discoverer STTs and very happy with them). Tried various other brands, but keep coming back to these. Ran Kumho KL71s on the Landy for a while - good option at the time, but their prices have rocketed recently.... as above, not a fan of Yoko Geolanders which I have on the 4x4 Camper but wouldn't put on a Cruiser....

Like you

I value your experience there Dave_S. I've always leaned towards the BF Goodrich KO2's but finding a good deal has become the issue. The currency devaluation hasn't helped unfortunately.

Running Coopers STT's mud terrians currently that came with the vehicle in 2011. NEVER my first choice for sure be glad to change them over now.

4x BFG tyres for €870 is what I'm looking at next week to change over to if I don't get a better deal than that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Seems expensive for UK prices, but I can't comment on your local availability. Having said that, I don't think you'll go wrong with BFGs and should get 30k-40k miles out of them...

....... I don't think you'll go wrong with BFGs and should get 30k-40k miles out of them...

Probably more like twice that, given the feedback from most users. Unless they have drastically changed the compound of the new KO2s, you would be very unlucky not to get 50k+ out of them IMHO

Seems expensive for UK prices, but I can't comment on your local availability. Having said that, I don't think you'll go wrong with BFGs and should get 30k-40k miles out of them...

Yes can't expect the get amazing deals here like the USA or U.K Dave for sure their pricy but wanna make the best decision over price too.

http://tirereviewteam.com/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-ta-ko2-review/

Reading these reviews help a lot with treadwear being improved by 15% over the previos KO's helps I'm sure.

Probably more like twice that, given the feedback from most users. Unless they have drastically changed the compound of the new KO2s, you would be very unlucky not to get 50k+ out of them IMHO

Yeah hope so chadr some also stating 80,000 but can't see myself driving that much for sure, the fuel prices have almost doubled since being here. My coopers have aged more that being driven on but did get 125.000 KM if it wearnt for that could have kept them for another two years.:grin:

Chadr - if you run the BFGs to the wear marks, yeah, I guess you might get 60-80k. Personally I tend to change them out before then. Last set had around 20,000 miles on them when I sold the truck and were noticeably worn compared to the brand new spare.

Like you

I value your experience there Dave_S. I've always leaned towards the BF Goodrich KO2's but finding a good deal has become the issue. The currency devaluation hasn't helped unfortunately.

Running Coopers STT's mud terrians currently that came with the vehicle in 2011. NEVER my first choice for sure be glad to change them over now.

4x BFG tyres for €870 is what I'm looking at next week to change over to if I don't get a better deal than that.
Just out of interest, did you manage to get a quote for the Coopers?

For what its worth, I had 305/70/16s on the 80 Series, and switched to 285/75/16s when it came to renew (stock alloys, 2'" lift) - personally I prefer the way it handles on the 285s, seems to ride better too.....

There may be those that disagree, but IMO 305 is too wide for an 8" rim. I had 295 on 8" and could feel a sideways deflection (there's probably a term for this that I don't know).

I like 305 on the truck even though there are compromises on power and fuel economy, so I went to 10" rims when I bought a full set of 5.

They grip nicely, sit square on the asphalt, flex well on rocks and do ok in the mud.

The debate of fat vs skinny will rage on forever, I just have an overwhelming preference for fat :lol:

Anyway, the simple point I'm trying to make is the ride is much improved when wider tyres (probably 195 and over) are used on a wider rim, IMO.

There may be those that disagree, but IMO 305 is too wide for an 8" rim. I had 295 on 8" and could feel a sideways deflection (there's probably a term for this that I don't know).

I like 305 on the truck even though there are compromises on power and fuel economy, so I went to 10" rims when I bought a full set of 5.

They grip nicely, sit square on the asphalt, flex well on rocks and do ok in the mud.

The debate of fat vs skinny will rage on forever, I just have an overwhelming preference for fat :lol:

Anyway, the simple point I'm trying to make is the ride is much improved when wider tyres (probably 195 and over) are used on a wider rim, IMO.

Hi Clive, TBH I tend to go for wider tyres as a preference, in this instance I suspect you are right, in that the 285s seem to work better than 305s on the stock rims. For what we use the truck for (predominately road use, to be fair) I'm happy with the set up.

Having Coopers STT MT currently I haven't enquired for All terrian model. S

The tyres stores here have provided me with quotes on what they have access to. Here we don't have the variety like the UK or bigger countries especially in all terrain models as most buyers buy the mud terrian only for off roading.

So currently I haven't seen these here but only in mud terrian form.

In my efforts to find alternatives & cheaper options there Shayne I saw these all terrian tyres being the same Make as yours. Good price but once I calculated shipping & fitting costs they wasn't much in it to be worthwhile.

Looking to get 2016 production date 4x KO2's
For €870 (£730) this week now.

IMG_4215.PNG

Booked & ordered the tyres in for tomorrow afternoon guys. The store sent me confirmation with pictures. Production dates 17th week of 2016. I happy with that.

Looking forward to these fresh new shoes. I'm feeling the steering & drive gonna be much better. :)

IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0268.JPG

Last edited:
I have a UK 24V manual and would say that 285/75/16 is the max diameter you can go before the increase in gearing begins to have an impact when towing at approaching 3500 kg on a manual , even without a trailer on steep single track lanes it's noticeable , obviously an auto can cope better due to the TC .
Another thing to note is with 285/75/16's my speedo is spot on at 60mph according to a gps generated speed......beware you have no leeway with speed cameras

Back