Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to the Forum

AdamPDX

Country Flag
united_states
Hello Everyone! My name is Adam i live in the beautiful pacific northwest (USA). I've owned a few toyota 4x4s over the years, and loved every one of them. I rebuild old honda motorcycles (SOHC4s), so I am mechanically inclined.

I'm in the market for an 80s LC. Found a really interesting 1991 with relatively low miles (171K). I'm waiting for the seller to send over the service records as it has apparently had some recent engine work. I was hoping some of the knowledgeable folks on this forum could give me some pointers on what to look out for with these awesome old trucks? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Adam

Welcome Adam, hey, another 80 wannabe, on board :dance:

The specs are very different in the UK but I suppose the main things to look out for are:

Rust (of course) usually at the front/rear of the rear wheel and the lip all around the rear wheel arch.
Rust around the windshield.
excessive chassis rust.
Front axle needing overhaul. I wouldn't let the condition bother you too much, you'll be better off replacing most of it anyway. The seals on the shafts leak and allow oil into the CV grease, which in turn contaminates the diff oil. Not good for the CVs and not good for the diff.
Oil leaks. There shouldn't be any, but the rear prop seal behind the prop shaft flange is known to fail and the similar seal on the transfer box rear prop shaft.
Guessing yours would be an auto petrol (gas means something else in the UK :lol:)

in 93 the size of the brake disc was increased, and the wheel rims went from 15" to 16". If there's a choice, go for the 93 onward models.

Someone else will be along soon, with some real advice :lol:

Welcome Adam, hey, another 80 wannabe, on board :dance:

in 93 the size of the brake disc was increased, and the wheel rims went from 15" to 16". If there's a choice, go for the 93 onward models.

Someone else will be along soon, with some real advice :lol:

Out of curiosity... If I do end up picking up this '91, is it possible to replace the the brake rotors and wheels with newer ('93 and onward larger) ones? I know that replacing rotors can get tricky sometimes and involves new calipers, etc.

Going to check it out tonight, so I'll post pics if I end up bringing it home!

Thanks!

A

Out of curiosity... If I do end up picking up this '91, is it possible to replace the the brake rotors and wheels with newer ('93 and onward larger) ones? I know that replacing rotors can get tricky sometimes and involves new calipers, etc.

Going to check it out tonight, so I'll post pics if I end up bringing it home!

Thanks!

A

AFAIK there's no problem upgrading the rotors, but logically, the calipers would need the same upgrade.

You would also need to go to 16" rims to accommodate the bigger diameter, I tried 15" rims on my '95 and there was less than 1mm clearance between rim and caliper, too close for comfort!

The brakes can be upgraded if you only do the fronts you can still run 15" wheels. You need disks calipers backing plates. Pads are the same but i would fit new at the time.
The rears you need disks and the handbrake mechanism and backing plate you can use your calipers as the backing plates change the postion of the caliper.
I have all the bits now for the fronts on mine just no time.
Stu

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The brakes can be upgraded if you only do the fronts you can still run 15" wheels. You need disks calipers backing plates. Pads are the same but i would fit new at the time.
The rears you need disks and the handbrake mechanism and backing plate you can use your calipers as the backing plates change the postion of the caliper.
I have all the bits now for the fronts on mine just no time.
Stu

Thanks Stu for the rescue, I was clutching at straws there!

I've got drum brakes on the back of my '95 HZJ80.

Can I take it that they could be converted to disc? I'm not sure I want to with all the trouble some folks have with handbrakes, but I would like to know the score, if you can advise.

From what i read into the conversion for yours clive you would change a complete axle as you go from semi floater to a full floater. This is all to do with the rear wheelBearings and half shafts go together.

I dont like drums brakes so would say its a good conversion to do.

Stu

Back