Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ginna

Hi, new to the forum just thought idea introduce my, just bought an 80 series land cruiser about 2 and a half weeks ago, going to use it for extreme off road, bought it totally standard and the modifications I've done so far are a 2" iron man suspension lift and shockers, iron man snorkel all from the top guys at west coast 4×4, made a 2.5" straight through exhaust, new 35 inch maxis crawler tyres on 10 inch rims, also done the big end bearings changed them for acl bearings also bought off a lad on here called Karl top lad he informed me of this website, got loads more mods to do just hoping for some information, cheers ginna

Attachments

• 20160303_160050.jpg
    20160303_160050.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 20160303_160237.jpg
    20160303_160237.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Welcome and that is a nice looking machine.

regards

Dave

Hi Ginna welcome to the forum, that 80 looks a beast.

Welcome Ginna, serious looking 80 there.

Love the rims, I too run 10" but you seem to have a lot of lead on them for balancing.

When I had my tyres fitted, the guy started hammering over 100 gms of weights on and I stopped him. Asked him (politely) to break the bead again and rotate the tyre on the rim and try again. He did it at 90 degrees with no improvement, but at 180 degrees he got a reading of 35 gms.

It's no big deal, but in the mud, and especially in the forest when the mud is full of old branches and logs, those long weights often get dislodged or ripped off.

I've also heard that balancing with beads in the tyre is very effective (no weights to add on the rim) but I've never tried that.

I also use internal or stem-less valves because I ripped off a valve stem once, on a log in the mud.

I'm sure you'll have along list of your own, but if you plan to do extreme off roading, the first thing you need to do is lose the tow bar and the second is fit a winch. These cruisers are big and heavy and when, not if, you get stuck, there isn't always something man enough to get you unstuck. My 80 had front and rear winches and 37's so I didn't get stuck very often. When I did, I could get myself out, no dramas. I'd fit sliders and tree bars too. Or you'll have no doors left. Reality is that a snorkel on these is probably one of the last things you'll need. As a base truck I'd say it's one of the best we've seen on here for a long time. I'm with Clive on the weights. I use fluid in my tyres rather than beads. Stops deflation too not just cure balancing. Big tyres tend to lose chunks and weights only balance an evenly worn tyre. Fluid or beads balance dynamically. Looking forward to more shots.

You need to come over to Chesterfield and have a go on our play site one Sunday.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi and welcome that is one good looking Cruiser from Tony.

HI wrote an essay don't know where it's gone just writing this to make sure then I'll post a reply

HI try again, yes I agree about the balancing and would like to no wot fluid to use as it would look much better anyway, I got a great deal on the tyres for 5 with new 10 inch rims 35 maxis crawlers new wheel nuts and lockers for 1090 which is a great deal, I am hoping in the next few weeks to make rock slider and bumpers also a winch not sure if want 12 or 24 volt , I need to fix the diff locks as the lights are flashing if anyone as any ideas to fix would be appreciated, I will come and have a play at chesterfield when I sort the truck and frickley 4x4 is not on as I am the tractor driver to recover stuck ,sunk ,rolled,broke jeeps

I'm with Clive on the weights. I use fluid in my tyres rather than beads. Stops deflation too not just cure balancing. Big tyres tend to lose chunks and weights only balance an evenly worn tyre. Fluid or beads balance dynamically. Looking forward to more shots.

You need to come over to Chesterfield and have a go on our play site one Sunday.

+1 on the fluid balancing, I knocked off all the weights and put in OKO tyre sealant on Chris's recommendation and was amazed at how successful it was.

Truck looks too nice to mud plug... :?

Are you you planning a body lift? 2" isn't a big lift for 35" wheels you'll likely get some catching on flex. The wheels look like -30 offset, so they'll likely catch on the steel of the wheel arch, check that your bump stops contact first.

Anyway, a 12V winch is plenty and IMO 9,000 lb is plenty too. But there will be more decisions such as cable remote, or dash switched, or wireless remote or 2/3 or all 3. :lol:

Will you be fitting bash plates, I haven't felt the need but many on here have. Neither have I a snorkel, there's nothing deep enough here, unless I just drive sraight into a lake. I don't like the idea of filling all my electrics with mud and slime, starter, alternator, rads etc.

I'm not against mud, plenty of that on my patch, just driving in waist deep mud doesn't press my buttons.

Welcome.
You found us then.

She really is a beaut isn't she!

PS. I think I'd be keeping that truck for best and getting a rough one for the toy!

I reckon thats the one I used to see parked up at Gleadless in Sheffield regularly when I passed through there, looked well looked after. The OEM steel wheels should find a buyer on here as they have a certain following.

Steel wheels.... Mmmmmm I might be interested (depends on the price...)

Otherwise very nice looking truck. Love the grey colour!

Welcome, nice looking 80.

Is that the exhaust poking through the 1/4 panel?

Hi, yes it is the exhaust through 3/4 panel the best mod so far it's up out harms way ,I made from 63mm tube took middle box and rear off and left the front one in ,its not noisy when normal driving but when open up sounds awesome like, a racing truck with a bit turbo dumping noise ,i have 5 steel rims with good tyres and would sell wot or they worth

Back