Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

nice looking manual 80

Yogi, Yogi, Yogi, it's not a JEEP!

Yogi, Yogi, Yogi, it's not a JEEP!

Sorry, i thought it was referred to in the ad as one! But now i realise that was a different ad! Was just doing an internet trawl.

It's OK, it's a common mistake, like Biro for ball point or Hoover for vacuum cleaner.

Any thoughts on the 80 so??

Jeep was originally just slang for general purpose vehicle in the US Army and it basically meant anything with 4 wheels that will get from A to B . It became a brand name because it was readily recognised by the public as a military type truck . So i reckon an LC is a jeep same as every other 4x4 . Which sort of makes my point , nowadays we say "i've got a 4x4" and everyone knows what your talking about even if they have no idea about cars . Its the same thing , just a generalization given to types of vehicles .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well not quite, there Shayne. There are several claims to this and your explanation is only one of them. GP was more likely to mean Government Purpose. This incidentally was where the term GI came from, Government Issue, in fact.
It is said that this was a name coined for a particular vehicle and was taken from an animal character, Eugene the Jeep in Popeye. It was synonymous with being tough and rugged. So far from being general, it was quite specific. However, the jury is still out.

However, forum rules are we don't call them Jeeps! :icon-rolleyes:

Chris

It looks tidy enough by the way. Yes worth a look.

I call mine a truck so i won't make that mistake . I've read all the theories about where the name may have come from and i just think the one i posted earlier makes the most sense . The Army has shed loads of vehicles of every type but the vast majority have a very specific purpose and i imagine need written confirmation before they are released .
The general purpose in my mind wasn't a government tag or anything to do with orders . I think it was most likely just an obvious reference to the nearest runabout motor that was free of any specific duty . A base taxi if you like . I guess we will never know the truth of it but i kept my mind occupied for a bit .

My understanding was that it was a General Purpose vehicle, however the brand name Jeep rhymes to closely with Heep for my liking especially since I first met a Cherokee, brand new off the show room floor with an incurable oil leak from the auto box, a reluctance to select 4wd and an inability to idle smoothly and some other faults I forget ;)

If anyone finds out the mileage can they post it up. It will be interesting to relate the price/condition/mileage ratios to ascertain its value. I bet it lookes tidier inside than the black VX 80 Chris went to see yesterday. Old cracked worn out leather and stained carpets make a good car look shabby.

Andy

Back