Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Night laning in the Peak District

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well, like the title says, I went laning last night with TPORE, a local group. I have never done any lanes in the Peaks nor that many lanes full stop franklin. I have aired my views on laning many times. We set off from Fox House near Grindleford straight onto the first lane at 15.00 I pulled back onto the drive at midnight. Almost non stop action, lane after lane after lane with hardly any tar in between. I recognised the odd place here and there, but being night you can imagine it wasn't easy. I should have taken my mapsource thing ans tracked it all, but I didn't. We did pass Ladybower, we did Stanage Edge too. We popped out at the Wanted Inn, Tideswell and Chinley too. Other than a couple of really technical step sections, I would describe the lanes as being in excellent condition. No real match for the 80, but that has been my point all along. I realise that you can't drive a Vectra along these lanes, but needing triple lockers, Simex and front / rear winches is NOT what laning should be about. In my view. Challenging? Well no, not really but great to drive, oh yes!

Some were 1 in 4, I'm sure. Loose surface, but I never spun a wheel. Some of these steep lanes just went up and up and up. There were no muddy washed out sections, it was largely bedrock, which I felt good about driving on. Low impact to the environment.

It was VERY clear that the Peak National Park people were on the ball, knew the lanes, had signage in place and that they were open, legally, to traffic. We only had one encounter with a grumpy. There was a farm complex and some houses through which we ended a lane. Large signs were in place asking people to pass quietly and quickly, no problem. A large Sign for 'Off Roaders' was on display, which I ignored as I wasn't off road. He came out and as we were Tail Enders closing the gate, he decided to have a go. I couldn't hear for the gale force wind really, but he did ask "Have you lot nothing better to do?' Sorry, but I don't see people on the Aston Expressway in B'ham shouting out of their windows at cars going past. If he sat in his chair and gave it a minute, we'd all have been past. He photographs vehicles and takes registrations. Well I think that it truly helpful. Passing this collection of traffic to the PNP authority demonstrates that the road is being well used. Doesn't it?

Truly fantastic driving, I'd go again in a heartbeat. Did over 100 miles mostly on lanes too. Other than a couple of really good lanes that JW has taken me on, I would say these were far better than most I have driven. I can't show you any pictures because it was NIGHT. If anyone knows these lanes well, then I suggest that we get a crew together and drive them.

Chris

Night time is probably the best time for lanes in that area, otherwise their full of miserable gits :roll:

Ill join you.

Like rocks for same reason.

And night time is interesting.

So when ya gettin an infra red cam?

Chris I know them VERY well, if you needs a route anytime just let me know ;) and no I wont send routes to everyone that will undoutably pm me requesting them, I have done this many a time already :roll:

There are some great lanes in the Peaks but at the same time this does mean we get lots of idiots abusing the sides of the routes which is the biggest factor, personally I think wqe have the 3rd best set of lanes int he coutry behind the likes of Wales and Cumbria

I fully agree that laning is defo not about getting the Mud Terrians and winches out, if muds or your winch are needed you shouldnt really be there its as simple as that, that is unless the people before you have already killed the route with them :evil:

sounds like a nice night out, dont know what that guy was thinking...

i know a lot of the peaks lanes too, but from mountain biking perspective from the days i used to live in Leeds.

Hoping to do a day or two's laning in the peaks this spring, in May. I will probably go out mid-week when its less busy with walkers etc. Will ask on here at the time if anyone is free for some midweek laning...

Andy midweek really doesnt make that much differen ce as thats when all the bus trips go there

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back