Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

no idle/tick over on diesel 80

Jalex

Garage
96 80 4.2 td 24 valve, driving me mad.
The engine will not tick over/idle after being revved. It starts and runs fine, revs out well- the engine is good.
When revved up and the throttle is released it just cuts out, stops dead, engine cuts out as if the key was turned off.
I don't have it that long and it was modified a but before i bought it.
Had it with a mate that is a mechanic, he got the injectors cleaned and thought he had the problem solved, i collected it today, driving it down the road like a child on christmas day:icon-biggrin: so pleased to have my 80 back again, got to the first road end, hit the clutch and the needle on the rev counter just kept falling. lights came on on the dash, no engine. :cry: dropped into 3rd gear, released the clutch- engine running again no problem but as soon as i push in the clutch again and the drive is off the engine i lose all power.

Also if i do get it started and ticking over it ticks over about 1000rpm and revs up to 1200-1300 and down again on its own. Again as soon as you blip the throttle it just cuts off when it should go back to idling.

someone please point me in the direction of what is wrong.

james

Filter in the fuel tank is a good place to start. take back seats out, find cover above fuel tank and remove. Disconnect fuel pipes and wires, remove stack pipe and inspect/ clean the gauze filter. Its the most likely place for fuel starvation to start. If its not that then at least you have eliminated it and can check filters etc.

Hope this helps

Andy

Thanks Andy, i am afraid that she seems to run too well when it is going and tick over too high for it to be something as simple as fuel not getting down the line. But i am going to work at it tomorrow so i will def start with that, i will change the diesel filter while i am at it. (thanks for the pointers for where to get at the filters might have taken us a while tomorrow to figure that out!)
Peolpe trying to point me in the direction of the injector pump and the electric sensors that control the tick over. Really annoying that no one near here has any experience with Landcruisers, everyone seems scared to touch them.

Back