Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

No mods and all the wrong specs...

Philip A

Short-Cruiser-Bush_zpsbe294f77.jpg

Picture taken in the middle of close-to-nowhere, first patch of asphalt 250km away, the car has not seen a road in over a month and met more elephants and buffalo than other vehicles these past weeks.

Mods? The roof rack. Period.

Specs? 2.5 TD, auto box, cheapy-chinesy tyres. Only good bits, the factory rear difflock and winch.

But it does bush and bad trails and offroad, and sidekick to hunting vehicles. Spends thousands of km in really bad (even for local standards...) places in the year.

Now, this is definitely not my idea of a bush-ready rig, but the point is that a stock LC is much more ready to take Africa head-on than the accessories manufacturers would like you to believe!

All LC's are designed then rigorously tested in purpose built studios and then again in the Australian outback before they are released for sale . I believe if you asked mrT what mods you should do before an expedition he would reply "get it serviced and buy suitable tyres" .

TBH though, a lot of 2 wheel drive trucks are also thrashed all around the place - bull nose Merc vans seem to get everywhere!!! But your point is fair enough.

Personally I think its essential to have a lift and big tyres for razzing about the UK and taking the kids to Tumble Tots :icon-cool:

I'm modifying mine coz it looks cool and if i get into doing 4x4 trials and stuff i will prob go further adding a suspension lift and that type of thing . That's all part of the fun being a weekend warrior . But if i was taking a vehicle somewhere my life depended on a reliable set of 4 wheels i think i would put my trust in the guys that have been spending umpteen million a day for over 50 years developing their products .

Back