scotland.jpg

My route was as follows:

Night 1 - Stirling - B&B
Night 2 & 3 - Isle of Skye - Camp site at N57 12.063 W6 17.163
Night 3 & 4 - Ullapool - Campsite at N57 56.097 W5 11.788
Night 5 & 6 - Durness - Campsite at N58 34.152 W4 44.580
Night 7 - Inverness - Campsite at N57 29.019 W4 10.601
Night 8 & 9 - Edinburgh

If you Google the coordinates you should find details for the campsites.

If I remember correctly, Isle of Skye (stop at Eilean Donan on the way) was a remote campsite - brilliant locations, the Ullapool campsite was close to the sea and seems to bring back memories of midges, the Durness campsite was on a wind (very windy) swept cliff top - get the boat across the firth to Cape Wrath from close by, Inverness - cant remember anything about that one! - Actually I do remember something about Inverness: in the evening I went to the local supermarket, which seemed to be the hang out for the local teenagers. Quite a few of them were eating litre tubs of ice cream. Funny the things you remember.

You could probably do the route in less days but unless you want a marathon, you'll want to allow time for sightseeing - you are going a long way to get to the Highlands. Also you need to allow for slower roads.

Very helpful. Thanks !

The aim is to take 5 days, not too rushed.

hi folks,

While I realise that this overlaps the lincomb dates, its the only time of the year we can make it - so were going to head up for this trip, hoping to depart on the 27th and return by the 5th June. Hoping to hit camp sites through most of the trip, and focus on child friendly stuff ( ie. no more than 5 mile hike - and nothing that involves getting on a boat ). Given the dates, we might need to skip Harris Island as well.

Are there any tracks that we can do ? I realise most of the highlands are just a single lane track anyway, but I was wondering if there is anything off the beaten track that might be attempted in an unmodified vehicle ?

Also, @AndyCook your url no longer works ( @Crispin looks like a lot of the old urls to the site that have the forum.php bit in there, still show the old site with a 'this board is no longer active' message ).

regards,

2016-06-07 12.40.54.png

This is the route we ended up doing. Camping most nights. Took a b&b break in northumbria on the way up and a b&b in the penines on the way back. It was a great experience, largely down to the drives and the amazing countryside.

Highly recommend anyone who enjoys driving itself does this route, more than the destinations. And there is a ton of stuff to do up there. Might need to go back next year.

Regards

Just a couple of pictures from my mobile. Including one of the dolphins right beside our camp in Fortrose bay, another of midnight at Badrallach and finally the commando memorial.

There are a million more pics from the camera, but I need to get around to sorting them out.

20160527_071842.jpg 20160528_080639.jpg 20160528_182711.jpg 20160530_160046.jpg 20160531_141727.jpg 20160531_151544.jpg 20160601_081723.jpg 20160601_235222.jpg 20160602_173958.jpg

Never knew about Badrallach - how did you find it ? Any good ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What was the midge situation like. Kind of puts my off going that way.

Apart from the 1st day when the rain started 2 miles away from home and didnt end till 9pm, 400 miles away - we were entirely dry and had great weather all the way. Even managed to skip the midges till the very last day. The evening of which we met all 500 billion of them(!)

So the first day we thought the kids are fresh lets go up as far as we can. However, with work stuff running till almost 1am the night before I wasent too keen on a very early start. Finally only getting going at midday and making it to Readsdale arms, Northumberland. Nice little pub, restaurant and b&b. Next day we had a lazy start, big breakfast and made a stop go stop fo trek upto Fortrose bay campsite, just past Inverness. Its a very nice campsite, Right by the water, and completely deserted. There were maybe 2 other vehicles and 1 person on a cycle camping there, with good facilities and plenty of walks heading out. Next day we just chilled out, kids got to stretch their legs and we did a couple of walks around, including some dolphin spotting at the bay. In the evening we met somw friends who had come over from Harris island, and were heading south for the weekend. Then aomething weird happened at 6pm. In a matter of minutes the site went from 5 pitches ( our friends had pitched up next to us, in their defender), to 60 pitches. Mind you it was Friday of bank holiday weekend... so perhaps we should have expected it.

Next morning woke to the sound of what seemed like a dog taking deep breathes at the tent door, came out and saw it was dolphins in the water, 30 to 50yds away! Lazy breakfast and then a stop go stop go drive to John O'Groats. Most stops were touristy castles and getting off the A roads, but near Wick we went inland and had a lovely late afternoon lunch in a small little tea room. Middle of literally nowhere.

Spent 2 nights again at John O'Groats. Couple of sea walks, lazy hanging around, lots of icecream! And then drove to Durness staying at the Sango Sands campsite. I had wanted to go down from Tongue on the a839 towards Lairg but that road had a 'unfit for motor vehicles temporary sign about 2miles from Tongue ao we turned around and went onto Durness. Next day was the drive to Ullapool and onto Badrallach. Stayed there for 2 nights as well, the initial plan was.to just do 1 night there and move on, but the place was just fantastic. The weather was in the 20's blue sky with a nice breeze. Did the 5mile walk to Scoraig along the cliffs. Again its was really amazing to see what allthe people have done up there, just bringing kit and equipment over in a boat and walking it on a track.

After 2 nights there, it was onto lock lomond where we met, the midges! We were just not prepared (emotionally and psychologically) for the wall of insect that comes at you. We were however prepared with suitable sprays.

The drive down past fort william and through the valleys was absolutely fantastic (a82). Even though we had been driving and living in the georgios landacape of the highlands at that point for 8 days, it was still awe inspiring. Except for the wannabe rally drivers in their orange and bright blue cleo's and astras driving like nutcaps. But ignore them.

We left lock lomond and made the only real navigtion error of the trip, deciding to follow the coast to Largs and then Stranraer. This meant driving through the Glasgow urban sprawl at 15mph avg. Once past largs the route opened up nicely and we drove up through the dumfries then got onto the A and M roads through to the a68 into the north pennines and stopped at Alston for the night at a b&b. Final day was spent much like the very 1st day, on M roads heading home. Got in through the door, after ~ 2k miles, at 5pm.

Thoroughly enjoyed the trek. Lots of lessons learnt. Got to know the truck a lot more. And even though we had been on the go, all of us felt quite fresh and not tired at all.

Cant wait to get out again.

Never knew about Badrallach - how did you find it ? Any good ?

It's great. Our friends off Harris Island had recommended we skip all the well known campsites in the area and just go here. Its a bothy, and they have a 20 pitch campsite next to it. The guy who runs the Croft next door, Steven, looks after this patch and is very helpful. Beware the closest shop etc are on the other side of the loch. Aka 40 min drive away, or if you have your own boat, 15 min across the water.

The road pretty much ends 200yrds past the site. Then on its a 5mile walk west past a few settlements to Scoraig. With kids we did it over about 6 hrs ( the track is sorta kinda paved, I wont buggy it but a bike would be fine).

What was the midge situation like. Kind of puts my off going that way.

I think we lucked out, only had midges one evening and that too since it was completely still. And they only came up late evening and then a few hrs the next morning. Also this was lock lomond, so well inland. Near the coast there is a fair breeze all the time.

When we did meet them, it was a bit of a holy crap moment. There are billions of them, so prep for it and I think should be ok. I got bitten a few times but the rest of the family were relatively unscathed.

I would go back, but I might only camp around the coast, and only before it gets proper warm. Maybe end of May is about as late as its worth going.

Regards

Thanks, for info on site.
it must have been around 1982-1985 when I went across on a boat to Scoraig then walked back to dundonnel via that great coastal path, on a school trip, we were staying in a mountain bothy at dundonnel.
And I know the area quite well, but didn't know about is campsite :)

we always take headsets to keep the midges away
we have been on 5 weekend camping trips to W and NW Scotland this year, it's only a 3-4hr drive from Aberdeenshire. And only encountered midges last weekend for the first time this year. And then only for a few mins as the breeze kept up most of the time.
i generally don't go camping in Scotland from start of June until mid or late September, deliberately to avoid the midges as they can ruin a weekend away.

Back