Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

North Coast '16

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi,

Starting to plan out the year ahead and was wondering if anyone has done the North Coast http://www.northcoast500.com/home.aspx and if there was any interest in doing that trek in early April 2016 ?

Would like to spend as much time as possible camping out doors along the way, and maybe the odd night in a hotel. Maybe spread the entire trip over a week.

- KB

We will be up for that.

(Hope the oztent is serving you well)

Done some of it, some on 4 wheels and some 2. I'd be in. No midges then but the weather might be foul. But so what ;)

Since end Apr/Early May is turning into a club meeting in Salisbury area - we are thinking of doing this in the last week of May, first week of June. The weather might be a bit warmer too!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We could be up for this KB. Personally not bothered about hotels but holly may be lol.

How long are you planing to take to do it?

Might be a nice trip that.

Since end Apr/Early May is turning into a club meeting in Salisbury area - we are thinking of doing this in the last week of May, first week of June. The weather might be a bit warmer too!

Isn't first week of June peak midge week? With a mild wet summer in 2015 it could be a bumper midge year :?

Isn't first week of June peak midge week? With a mild wet summer in 2015 it could be a bumper midge year :?
Argh.

Given school dates etc. Not sure if we can get the time off any earlier....

Maybe one option might be to do the north500 in the week leading upto the AO show and stop there on the way back. Will need a lot more planning and tweaking for that time of year though.

Pondering.

How long are you planing to take to do it?
The plan is to start at Inverness and do the loop with no more than 4 nights stays. And try to include one local meal and an activity each day.

Not sure as yet if we want to come back to Inverness or cut back to harris island and spend a day at someplace like horgabost before the return journey.

Will try and finalise plans and document it all up in the coming days. Key task at the moment is confirming Inverness kickoff dates.

Regards,

nice idea have done some of that route with a lorry, might be good relaxing trip

That looks awesome Andy!

Would you be able to recommend some camping spots in the area ?

regards,

Proper campsites or wild spots ?
Bearing in mind, many of the wild camp spots aren't really suitable for more than a couple vehicles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Andy,

I dont think my girls are quite ready for wild camping as yet. Will need to be campsites for now...

Thanks!

Hi, haven't used many campsites up here. Normally wild camp,
But in September we stayed at Altandhu campsite, a couple miles for achiltuibuie.
I recommend it, nice modern shower/toilet block. The campsite owners also run the pub next to campsite, and we had good seafood there.
Nice views over the sea too.

Durness campsite looked ok too, further north.

If I think of others I will let you know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Id be up for that especially if it was snowing like hell. how about mid february. when is the best snow up there and is it all still driveable so

I did a good part of that route - mostly the west and north - a few years ago. I went in through Fort William and on to the Isle of Skye - which is worth a detour - then along the north coast coming down on the east coast, stopping in Edinburgh - also worth a visit. I used camp sites and hotels. I'll see if I can dig out the gps tracks for the trip - it would have the co-ordinates for the campsites. I think it was August and the midges were pretty bad in the evenings.

Id be up for that especially if it was snowing like hell. how about mid february. when is the best snow up there and is it all still driveable so
I dont think we will make it out that early... also, certainly not in the snow. We are very much a family of fair weather campers :)

Thats ok, just leave the family behind. Im sure there will be some hitchhikers on the forum:thumbup:

Back