Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Norway - Arctic Circle - Finland - Baltics 2013

Thanks Andy.

Lofoten is worth a visit. Lots of scenery and activities in a compact space.

I'll look up the Arctic Race

Great update - thanks

good to see the Rorbuer (fishermens huts)

really must visit Lofoten one day - and do some cycling and mountaineering and do some fishing.
it just looks a wonderful place to visit.
it is like the Isle of Skye on steroids (off there for sea kayaking on Friday)

I watched the Arctic circle race of Norway this week on Eurosport http://www.arctic-race.com/
they had a stage on Lofoten - and cycled over a bridge like the one in your photos

:clap:
extremely enjoyable read. thanks for posting.
i doubt i will ever get the pleasure of doing that route but there are some amazing buildings and scenery to be enjoyed.
:thumbup:

Thanks Crushers. Glad you are enjoying it. This is a little more to go.

:clap:
extremely enjoyable read. thanks for posting.
i doubt i will ever get the pleasure of doing that route but there are some amazing buildings and scenery to be enjoyed.
:thumbup:

We traced out route south toward the Finnish border, stopping at a campsite just of the E6 by the river Stabburselva.

241.JPG

242.JPG

243.JPG

244.JPG

245.JPG

246.JPG

247.JPG

The next day we continued along the E6 and joined route 19 in Karasjok, crossing the border into Finland shortly after.

248.JPG

249.JPG

250.JPG

The border crossing from Norway into Finland was as easy any within the continental EU. The road that took us into Finland was long and straight, with forest on either side – this was to become a regular feature. Occasionally reindeer would wander across the road.

251.JPG

252.JPG

As we drove along we were to see more and more signs of ow close we were to Russia.

253.JPG

That evening we turned off the road and drove along a forestry track and camped in a clearing. Although we had done this several times, it felt a bit bizarre pulling up in broad day light and turning in to sleep after midnight in broad day light. You almost expect a group of hikers or picnickers to stroll through your camp.

254.JPG

We headed for the province of Karelia. The road continued to be long and straight, and bordered with forest. Reindeer provided relief to the tediousness of the road.

258.JPG

259.JPG

The region of Karelia is split between Finland and Russia and in fact we were very close to the Russian border. At one point we found a track and pushed forward towards Russia until we came across signs warning us off.

261a.JPG

261b.JPG

At this point we took a strategic decision – we decided to head straight down to Finlands Lake Land, find a campsite and rest up for a couple of days ... but we still had a way to go

263.JPG

264.JPG

265.JPG

266.JPG

267.JPG

The campsite on the outskirts of Halkasalmi was next to a lake, and had its own sauna. There were a handful of motorhomes and a few static caravans but was largely empty.

267a.JPG

Near the campsite we found a farm that had been turned into a museum.

268.JPG

269.JPG

270.JPG

From here we drove straight to Helsinki to get the ferry to Estonia. We didn’t have a pre-booked ticket but this was not a problem and managed to get onto the next ferry which left an hour later. It’s a pity this worked so well as it would have been geed to send a few hours exploring Helsinki.

When we arrived in Estonia, we spent a few hours wandering around old Tallinn.

271.JPG

272.JPG

273.JPG

274.JPG

275.JPG

276.JPG

277.JPG

278.JPG

We then headed south towards Riga in Latvia along the Baltic Highway.

279.JPG

We spent a day wandering around Riga before heading for the coast.

280.JPG

281.JPG

284.JPG

285.JPG

286.JPG

287.JPG

288.JPG

289.JPG

We visited the RT-32 radio telescope. This is a relic from the cold war days. Unbeknown to the Latvians, the Soviets built the installation to spy on telephone conversations. The Soviet army were supposed to destroy the installation before they left in 1993 but the Latvian Academy of Science intervened. The old Soviet gear is now gone and has been replaced by PC’s and the installation is now the largest radio telescope in Northern Europe.

290.JPG

The next day I began the drive back to the UK. Heavy rain caused localised flooding.

291.JPG

The road from Riga (from Tallinn actually) to Kaunas, and beyond towards Warsaw, is mostly single carriage way. It is heavily used by trucks and is in need of major work to bring it up to a good standard. The heavy rains did not help the driving conditions.

292.JPG

293.JPG

Driving round Warsaw is a nightmare with all the road works and diversions. That evening I stopped in a rest area on the magnificent new E30 motorway that connects Warsaw to the German border.

The next day I crossed into Germany and headed for Halle, birth place of my grandfather. He moved to Malta in the 1920’s, never to return because of the war and the subsequent Soviet occupation.

294.JPG

That night I parked up in a rest area on the German / Dutch border. The next day I had to catch an afternoon ferry back to the UK. The weather was brilliant, so I decided to head for the beach at Bergen Van Zee– unfortunately so did all the Dutch. But never mind, I spotted this beauty lounging in the sun before frolicking at the waters edge.

295.JPG

296.JPG

From here it was a short drive to the ferry at Ijmuiden and then on to the UK.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great trip Rein; super report & photos. Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks Gav. It was a great trip. Norway is a great touring country.

Back