Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Norway - Arctic Circle - Finland - Baltics 2013

Wasn't aware of that ferry.

Would have liked to include Sweden, but didnt have the time. Our Norwegian friends were heading up North as well but were going to drive up drive up Sweden and down Norway, as you say because of the roads and the cost of fuel, and probably the duty frees as well

Hi Andy,

yes, you need to be on the SW coast to do pulpit, so it is a little distance away from the fjords.

We werent going to the Lofoten's originally We had a route to follow, but changed our minds where we were there. I would say that the Lofotens are a destination in their own right. You get the islands, the sea, nature, wilderness and solitude. Great place. And you should be able to arrange a whale watching trip form there.

re the mileage, we were carrying quite a bit of stuff plus the roof tent. of the 6500 miles we covered, I'd say some 2,500 were in Norway. The rest were in countries with higher speed limits.

The Bergen ferry is a great loss. Surely it would increase tourism both ways. Bergen itself is a nice city to visit, and it is on the doorstep of the fjords. I dont know why they cancelled it. There weren't many brits on the the road in Norway. The most notable were the German, Dutch, French, Czech and Polish car. Obviously there were a few Swedish and Finnish cars.

Great photos so far. I want to visit pulpit rock one day, but have always missed it as headed north to fjords instead.
Looks like you went to Lofoten Islands too, another place on my list to visit.

Suprised you didnt better 21mpg given the 50mph speed limit in most of Norway.
We averagef 20mpg for our 2500mile alps trip in our Collie.

Look forward to the Lofoten pics
wish the newcastle to Bergen ferry would be restarted. Otherwise its a long trip to Norway from Aberdeenshire

The next day we continued north along the 13 in the Ryfylke region and then on into the Hardanger region, with great views of mountains, fjords and waterfalls:

23.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

26.JPG

27.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

33.JPG

34.JPG

35.JPG

36.JPG

37.JPG

38.JPG

39.JPG

In the evening we stopped at Indre Arna to catch the train into Bergen – 8 minutes away cutting through a mountain. We visited the historic waterfront with its wooden buildings and wandered round the town.

41.JPG

42.JPG

43.JPG

44.JPG

45.JPG

We then got the 11.00pm train back to the car and headed off to find somewhere to sleep, eventually finding a parking area next to a reservoir at the top of narrow single lane road that clung precariously to the side of a valley – sorry no pics, it was almost 1.00am by now and I was beat.

You were lucky to visit Bergen when it wasn't raining :)

I'm fond if Norway, its only 1hr flight to Stavanger from Aberdeen, and I have spent quite a bit of time visiting Stavanger, Bergen, Trondheim and Oslo with my work in Oil industry and also holidays.
I think Trondheim of the citys is my favourite i worked with there for a month once at Statoil.
Oslo is very different.

Excellent write-up so far and such wonderful photos!

Thanks Reinhard... :clap::clap::clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We were lucky with Bergen ... the sun was actually shining when we were there. It did rain several times during the trip. Bergen was the only city we visited.

Norway is a great place to visit. You are lucky to have had travel there on business.

You were lucky to visit Bergen when it wasn't raining :)

I'm fond if Norway, its only 1hr flight to Stavanger from Aberdeen, and I have spent quite a bit of time visiting Stavanger, Bergen, Trondheim and Oslo with my work in Oil industry and also holidays.
I think Trondheim of the citys is my favourite i worked with there for a month once at Statoil.
Oslo is very different.

Thanks Clive. Glad you are enjoying. Write up is coming along a little slow as things have been manic since I have been back.

Excellent write-up so far and such wonderful photos!

Thanks Reinhard... :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks SpinDrift, really enjoying your write-up, looks amazing

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Very cool report. Nice pics. I would like to see that rock one day...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. All doable in a standard vehicle. There were motor homes all the way to the top.

I am amazed that people book on commercial guided trips for Norway etc, given there is little offroad driving.
but i understand it is good to have company of other vehicles in case something goes wrong as some places pretty remote in the far north..
we had a wheel stud snap on our subaru nr Trondheim, and were lucky we were able to get a recovery lorry and that there was a subaru dealership in Trondheim to do the repairs!

like the photos of the old wooden wharf buildings in Bergen

Last edited:
That looks and sounds like a fantastic trip - thanks for the excellent report and pics. :thumbup:

The next day we headed for the Aurlandsfjellet region. Shortly after we joined route 7, we entered an 7.5 km Vallavik Tunnel which we hoped would lead us to a bridge that would cross the Eidfjorden. Unfortunately the bridge is still work in progress (we had to catch a ferry instead) but the turn off that leads to it is finished, and it is in the tunnel!!

45a.JPG

46.JPG

The Aurlandsfjellet route took us up into the mountains. The landscape was one of rocky outcrops, short grass and lichen, lakes and desolate cottages. The overcast sky added to the desolation. Nice.

48.JPG

49.JPG

50.JPG

51.JPG

52.JPG

It is possible to avoid climbing into the mountains by cutting through the Laerdal Tunnel, which at 24.5km is the world’s longest, but the view would not have been the same!!

We headed for Borgund to visit the 800 year old Stave Church, so called because it is built of .... wooden staves.

53.JPG

That evening we set up camp in a small layby on an old road (now bypassed by a tunnel on the E16) next to river, and with a Steyr overland truck for company.

Thanks Clive. Glad you are enjoying. Write up is coming along a little slow as things have been manic since I have been back.

I know the feeling, we've just had a week on the beach and today was my first day back. Can't believe how much I have to do in the next 3 days! :icon-mad :doh:

Clive i have to agree , had i chanced upon that picture without knowing from where it came i would have guessed it to be an incredibly expensive painting .

Reinhard you MUST enter that pic into a competition somewhere it might well pay for your whole trip !

After a bit of delay I have managed to get round to preparing the next bit of the writeup ...

The next morning we continued on to Gaupne,

60.JPG

61.JPG

62.JPG

63.JPG

and then on up to the Nigardsbrean Glacier. We parked up and walked out to the glacier. The ice has receded considerable (by the length of the lake that lays before it) over the last 100 years, but it is till impressive. You can see how small the people look when they stand next to the glacier.

64.JPG

73.JPG

65.JPG

66.JPG

67.JPG

Unfortunately the surface of the ice is dirty with pollution, but the cracks and fissures reveal an amazing blue colour.

68.JPG

69.JPG

70.JPG

71.JPG

Walking tours on the glacier are on offer and you can see tiny people walking on the ice.

72.JPG

We returned to Gaupne and then drove along the side of the fjord towards Urnes to see the Stave Church there.

75.JPG

74.JPG

76.JPG

77.JPG

78.JPG

From here we picked up route 55. This part of the 55 follows the route of the old Sognefjellet road that connects the East and West of Norway, passing through Northern Europe’s highest mountain pass.

79.JPG

80.JPG

81.JPG

82.JPG

83.JPG

84.JPG

85.JPG

The route takes you to Lom, where there is another Stave church.

86.JPG

From here we headed west on route 15 and parked up in a rest area next to a reservoir for the night.

Last edited:
Back