Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Norway

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Guys, I'm looking to make a first visit to Norway and wanted to drive the Atlantic highway. Has anyone done this trip from the UK?

I know there is no longer a direct ferry service so was looking to do the following:

UK - Esbjerg
Bergen - Hirtshals
Ferry to Norway - Kristiansand

Then spend 2 days to get to the Atlantic highway.

Does anyone have any better suggestions for route and also any good places to stay, or must visit/see?

All entries welcome!

Last edited:
Hi Olazz

I am plannig a trip to Norway, along the Atlantic route and all the way up to Nord Kapp and down Finland for July. I am still planning the route.

The Norway tourist site have info about the Atlantic Route.

This site has a possible route.

Driven all of the route mentioned in that link Reinhard posted - with the exception of the
[h=1]Atlanterhavsveien[/h]all great places, Trondheim is a nice city to walk around
Spent a few days in Stryn as well, cycling and failing to catch trout

Thanks SpinDrift, I'll have a look at the site.

I assume your taking a similar crossing from the UK? unless you know of a freight company to take you across. I've tried DFDS who have a freight service direct to Bergen, but cant get any response.

From the kayaking side of things Norway was great for creek paddling, so there was bit of an outcry when they cancelled the UK-Norway crossing. May be worth having a look on UK Rivers Guidebook for Norway Ferry, as there is always a bit of information/chat on there about the options:
-Dover <-> Calais vs UK <-> Esbjerg
-Where to get free showers and coffee
-Rumours of a the UK-Norway crossing quashed (I know the guy who started this thread; used to live and work with him)

Simon Westgarth, who has posted on many of those threads I've linked to, is an Irishman based all around Europe in the Summer, so his knowledge of getting around is probably second to none; he also helps his clients to get to where he is based so his knowledge has to be spot on.

Hope that helps,

Ed

yes, I will be getting the ferry to Esbjerg with DFDS Seaways, then to drive to Hirtshals to get the ferry to Kristiansand. The return will probably be from the Netherlands as I will be driving from ther Baltics, through Poland and Germany .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back