Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not a Landcruiser but.....

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Guys just came this and thought wow. A. great video from Ireland where a rusted Land rover is repaired back to its glory. Many surprises especially at the end....Very patient, skilled and talented.. Hats off to him.

I guess if you want to restore a LR then that’s the one to go for. Still revered by many and regarded as the best RR variant.

I had that offered by Youtoob last night but haven’t looked at it yet.

What a job - exhausted by only watching it. That takes some skills and stamina. And the level of photo and editing skills are at a very high level - professional +.
Thanks for posting and an even bigger thank you for restoring and treasuring a part of our motor history.

Now, where do I find this guy, I want to take my 100 there, make it ready for another 20 years.

First off, you’ve got to hand it to this guy. Not only has he restored something that should have gone to the scrap yard but he’s done it and filmed it in stop motion as if it were doing the job itself (ok, except for later bits where you do see him working).
But really, what shines out of this is just how lazy and basic the original design is. I say lazy as it looks to have very few pressed parts. Most could be made, under the skin at least, on a pressbrake and seemed to use 14 bits where Toyota would use one heavy pressing. So basic, that this resto was possible initially with no bending tools apart from a vice, clamps, block of wood and a hammer…or two. I guess you could say that design has appeal to be able to be easily repaired. I tend to think of it as a lost opportunity and lack of vision building a prestige vehicle with a high end price tag. A lot of the suspension looked very flimsy compared to the cruisers and I’ve always disliked the way the trailing arms attach through a plate with a nut and a couple of huge tap washers. Despite this, there is technological brilliance in making what is a highly capable and comfortable vehicle.
It just seems like LR raided the parts bin and made something in the garage to cobble it all together.
I just feel sad that it could’ve been so much better designed.

A very good watch nonetheless.

My first land rover was a series one I pulled out of a field in 1967. it had not been under cover for years. I stripped it and found no rust whatsoever. Just like meccano.

In abot 1984 I bought a pile of new 1972 RR parts including a new chassis and built a new RR but with 1970's tranny and axles. Again just like meccano. I registered it as a new vehicle in 1985 with chassis number CFR1 and reg REA938W I remember going to Birmingham to haggle over how much new car tax I would have to pay. The only inspection was by the police to check I was not registering a stolen car. Then I uprated the engine with 10.5 CR pistons and SU carbs both used on the early Rover v8's. Wonderfully simple engine with an ally block you could lift with one hand.

Nice simple days when you could pretty well do what you wanted. gone I'm afraid.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Guys the video shared was a final all in one video for the many episodes on youtube where there is a commentary to the work carried out.

Thus guy is a real enthusiast and a love for old classics. British and beyond. Watched a couple of the Espirit ones still yet to finish. When you get to know him he's a down to earth guy and does it for the love of restoring in his own time and money with support from supporters.

You can see this Dervis, that truly was a Labour of love. As Frank says, the days of working on cars like this are restricted to old classics. Try working on a newer all electronic car like the Cursed Smart Car and a world of pain and pay awaits.

Not sure what I admired the most, the RR resto or the video... both are unbelievably meticulous and must have been painstaking.

This guy deserves a medal.

The early Vogues were built at Solihull as 2-door cars then shipped to Monteverde in Italy for 4-door conversion, in-dash AC retrofit, and metallic paintwork.

Back