Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not going so good.

Hi, before you change the box there are so many things to do first. Like Chris said the cable, even changing the oil will make a difference. How do I know this? Owner of 3 Autos 94 year and nursed a broken box leaving Spain toured Morocco and made it back to Geneva. Secret was to change oil basically every 700kms...
There are things you can do been a bloke change oil and stuff but been me I don't, I can bare children, wash, cook and clean and when it comes to oil and stuff I pay, so for me messing around changing oil every 7 miles no.

There are things you can do been a bloke change oil and stuff but been me I don't, I can bare children, wash, cook and clean and when it comes to oil and stuff I pay, so for me messing around changing oil every 7 miles no.
Cant help much with advice on repairing box beyond what's already been said. However i can tell you don't sink it in 4 foot of muddy water and try driving it. That definitely f***s them a treat... that much I do know!!!

Seems extreme Kiera, swapping the box. If you did the fluid check when hot after cycling through the gears and the cable from the throttle checked out ok then it’s also worth checking the plugs into the box if yours has the ‘ECT’ button on the dash. Usually if there is a fault with the gearbox Control you get an overdrive light flashing as a fault indication.

Appreciate you don’t do oil except for cooking but I think the guys are trying to help save you spending a small fortune on a box you may not need rather than on your kids. There’s stuff to check first rather than condemning a pretty bomb proof gearbox.
Did you get the ATF over temp light show while you were towing?

It’s your call of course but it does sound like the easy things may not have been checked.

...and that's why we're here to try and help you Kiera. Not because we're (mostly) men, but because we know Cruisers. The torque converter is essentially like two stir fry woks stuck together. Inside there are a load of fins. It works a bit like a water wheel with fluid being pumped in, which pushes on the fins, making the whole thing spin. It doesn't have any moving parts in it. So it's very unlikely to be worth changing. If you find a replacement box with a TC then no issue changing it but either way there's no real benefit. But, if you do go for a new box there is an important seal where the torque converter is pushed into the auto box. If you want to do a good job and not have to pull it all out again later, you should insist on this seal being changed. Whatever happens, it's going to be 20+ years old and have been wiggled and jiggled and quite possibly be leaking already. Easy to change, your mechanic could do it in their sleep and it's probably only a £15 part from Toyota.

Just make sure you get a clear understanding from whomever does the work that if it still doesn't drive properly when they have 'fixed it' then it's down to them to get it sorted or you could be looking at a huge bill for nothing. When, as we suspect, it's not the box that needs changing in the first place. They very rarely do.

You could do with an auto transmission place locally who can test and diagnose faults. We can give you all of the factory manuals for them to work from

you should get the kids to take a screenshot of this thread and then print it out so ypu can take it to your mechanic and tell him that if he can gaurantee that its nothing mentioned here then he can supply and fit a replacement box. Its that simple really.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
what transmission is in it? does it say A442F on the compliance plate in the engine bay?

Somethings not reading right to me here.
A machanic advising a box swap Really.......

At least do yourself the biggest favour of the year and get a second opinion. Ideally from someone who knows these things. Whereabouts are you located? Maybe there’s a member nearby that knows these gearboxes and can take a look for you.

Are you in East Anglia? Let us know - I'm no expert but I'd happily take a look,

Not sure if this has been mentioned I remember when my gearbox was doing funny things changed the oil changed the gearbox it turned out the be the kick down cable (i think that's what its called) it has a little nib on it normally to get the adjustment right mine was out by a tiny bit adjusted up and all is now good

20180510_192259.jpg

I am ! Where in east anglia are you?
Diss and Ipswich and places in between. I'll happily have a look. As has been said, modern auto boxes have a lot of external electrics and controls, all of which need to be checked before you scrap the actual box.

Just noticed you're not the OP! Doubt you need me to look at your gearbox!

Kiera is Ooop Norrth.

Yes Sam that's the begger but it's not the kick down cable; it's the throttle position cable. Thanks for posting the piccy. It's easy to check and easy to adjust. But if it's out, it WILL make a big difference.

Ahh ok cool iv learnt somthing new today thanks and yeah if it out a little bit it does all sorts of funny things

Diss and Ipswich and places in between. I'll happily have a look. As has been said, modern auto boxes have a lot of external electrics and controls, all of which need to be checked before you scrap the actual box.

Just noticed you're not the OP! Doubt you need me to look at your gearbox!
I had worse offers mate !!!

That's the one to check. There's a measurement that will tell you if it's set right.. been a long time but I if I recall it's between 4-6mm slack/gap on the cable.. been a while cause I converted to manual and quite frankly I've never looked back! Also worth checking that the cable hasn't seized cause that will cause certain symptoms... plenty of avenues to follow before swapping the box.. plus an another experts opinion would be good before splashing the readies!

Ok thanks for your help so far, not having a replacement gearbox until I've have had it looked at again with some of the items you have mentioned. I will let you know soon I hope.

Ok thanks for your help so far, not having a replacement gearbox until I've have had it looked at again with some of the items you have mentioned. I will let you know soon I hope.
:dance::clap::thumbup::happy-cheerleaderk:

Excellent. I feel genuinely relieved. I sincerely hope it’s something simple.
Can you tell us which gearbox it is please. How? Well, on the firewall, under the bonnet on the passenger side you will find the aluminium plate with all the model numbers etc. After ‘Trans/Axle’ there should be some numbers like A442F or similar. Post it up on here. It’ll help those that know.

Back