Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Novice 100 owner

Diro1

Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

Stockport based lad here. I'm new to LC and came across the forum while investigating an issue with my '98 100 4.2 that i've had from the start of the year.

I recently developed a battery issue when one morning after parking it for 3/4 days it wouldn't start with insufficient juice in the batteries. I assumed it was because the batteries were old thus I replaced both of them and peace was restored...for a couple of weeks. The issue reared it's ugly head again. I charged up the batteries and got it started and everything was working as expected. I checked the front fuses with a multimeter and there appeared not be any issues. Ran out of time and decided i would check the inside fuses another day.

Meanwhile i tried to use the 100 every 2/3 days and i appear to have made a discovery that if i don't lock it, the battery doesn't drain but if i do the battery is drained and won't start without a booster within the same time frame. So the parasitic drain appears to be associated with the central locking / alarm.

Also, when the battery is low all the lights on the dash come on until the alternator has charged the battery but sometimes the alternator can't actually charge the batteries up and every time i stop or slowdown all the lights illuminate on the dash.

The last time i drove it, the gauges fuse was blown while shifting into reverse to park. I replaced the fuse for testing purposes and all the gauges were restored until i shifted into reverse and then it blew again.

Now i may have 2 issues.
1.The alarm/car central locking system draining power because of a shot somewhere and
2.The gauges fuse blowing issue when shifting into reverse.

I've seen a thread here suggesting it may be the reverse switch for issue number 2, i'm yet to explore and identify where it is to check if i have issues there. I'm yet to come across a starting point for the parasitic drain.

Appealing to your expertise you knowledgeable folks on here.

Many thanks in advance.

Diro1

Hi All,

Stockport based lad here. I'm new to LC and came across the forum while investigating an issue with my '98 100 4.2 that i've had from the start of the year.

I recently developed a battery issue when one morning after parking it for 3/4 days it wouldn't start with insufficient juice in the batteries. I assumed it was because the batteries were old thus I replaced both of them and peace was restored...for a couple of weeks. The issue reared it's ugly head again. I charged up the batteries and got it started and everything was working as expected. I checked the front fuses with a multimeter and there appeared not be any issues. Ran out of time and decided i would check the inside fuses another day.

Meanwhile i tried to use the 100 every 2/3 days and i appear to have made a discovery that if i don't lock it, the battery doesn't drain but if i do the battery is drained and won't start without a booster within the same time frame. So the parasitic drain appears to be associated with the central locking / alarm.

Also, when the battery is low all the lights on the dash come on until the alternator has charged the battery but sometimes the alternator can't actually charge the batteries up and every time i stop or slowdown all the lights illuminate on the dash.

The last time i drove it, the gauges fuse was blown while shifting into reverse to park. I replaced the fuse for testing purposes and all the gauges were restored until i shifted into reverse and then it blew again.

Now i may have 2 issues.
1.The alarm/car central locking system draining power because of a shot somewhere and
2.The gauges fuse blowing issue when shifting into reverse.

I've seen a thread here suggesting it may be the reverse switch for issue number 2, i'm yet to explore and identify where it is to check if i have issues there. I'm yet to come across a starting point for the parasitic drain.

Appealing to your expertise you knowledgeable folks on here.

Many thanks in advance.

Diro1
Hi and welcome
You have not said but have you got a DMM ? if not I would get one as that will help enormously, but
first thing have you got a towbar on the car ? if so check out the bar wiring.
I would start to research the location of the fuses that protect the Alarm and reversing lights, and remove them and start there and start to do some measurments to see if there is any shorts etc

....Also, when the battery is low all the lights on the dash come on until the alternator has charged the battery but sometimes the alternator can't actually charge the batteries up and every time i stop or slowdown all the lights illuminate on the dash....
This could indicate a faulty rectifier bridge in the alternator. With one shorted diode, you would be able to keep the voltage reasonably high enough as long as the engine is running, but not enough to charge the battery.
Another common issue is loose connection in the alternator plug.

Last edited:
Back