Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

O/D off light blinking

BY_prado

Country Flag
pakistan
I have a 96 Prado, my concern is that every day or two the O/D off light start blinking while driving, but this happens every time in the night. when the Vehicle is then parked (engine switched off) for more than one hour it vanishes to re appear some other evening.

please if some one can advise

I can't tell you what the cause is but I had the same problem on my 80, it started flashing in 2008 on my way back from Morocco and was flashing for years then suddenly stopped a year ago. The switch on the gear lever worked OK, it switched overdrive in and out as normal.
I've got no idea why it stopped but as it hadn't been affecting the operation of the drive I just ignored it.
Julian V couldn't find what was causing it to flash.
Is yours just flashing or does it put overdrive in or out while flashing?

Thanks Chas for a quick response, no dear it only starts flashing. O/D button works OK

It sounds as though you have a bad connection at the 'detector switch' (wherever that is on an Auto).

These things usually work to confirm that the action has been completed - they don't influence the selector mechanism - which is why it all works normally on the 'O/D Off' button.

Its just an annoyance (but I'd still hunt it down and sort it :icon-wink:).

Bob.

Long time since I have seen this, but isn't the OD light flashing actually an indicator of some sort? Has anyone looked in the handbook.

Thanks guys, but its really annoying when you're out with the Family on a weekend.

appreciate your help.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have seen the O/D light flashing when I use the diagnostic checking in the engine bay. Mine flashes steady when the pins are connected together showing nothing wrong( touch wood) with my auto gearbox. Not sure if the Max Ellery manual has any codes for the auto box. Might be worth checking the levels ,etc in the box to start with.

Mine flashed 6 times pause then 4 times but don't know what that indicated.

I believe it is fault code flashing, in one of the manuals it should indicate what the code number is

I was just looking in the autobox workshop manual and saw this and remembered your post,

jump TE1 and E1 together and press the OD switch, then read the code

Untitled.png

Back