Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Odd 80 front diff leak

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Anyone come across this before - or got any bright ideas?

I swapped my diffs recently and everything was scraped clean on the mating surfaces. I use paper gaskets rather then RTV or other liquid sealants. I have not had one leak before and my view is that once assembled with sealant, there isn't much you can do. When it's set it's set. With a paper gasket you can nip if required. Anyhoo that's not the debate. We don't need to go there.

Recently, it has started to leak. I topped up today and it took well over a litre. It hardly leaks when parked so it's losing the oil on the move. It is not leaking below the oil line, it's actually running down the joint from the top of the diff at about 11 O'clock. Breather isn't blocked and the swivels couldn't look better. The locker side of the diff is as dry as a Martini.

Either this is working its way up due to capillary action or it's being splash fed. Either way, I can't stop it. I leant on the ratchet today to make sure they were tight, and they were. I'm starting to think that I have a hole in my diff!!

Of course I have the wherewithal to tackle this, but just wondering if there is anything in the collective memory bank on this.

Chris

You may find the crown wheel has eaten part of your paper gasket Chris. I think I've probably said to you already I always suggest using RTV instead, because the fronts are particularly prone to failure when you give them some stick and the casing starts flexing.

Really??? :shock:

We have had the RTV v Paper discussion before, I know. Never had a problem. Less messy too. It did seem to come on after off roading and giving it some stick. Just how does the crown wheel get to the gasket?

I was doing some work on the truck today (what really, working on your truck again Chris :roll: ) and I found a wear ring on my front prop. It wasn't just a rub, it was an actual groove. It seems that with all the lift etc, that on full droop, the prop has been running on the ARB. Doh.

Some half an hour later and spacers were made and installed. I do wonder if this levering effect has hastened the demise of the gasket through unusual flexing Jon. If you look at the pic of me coming out of the big trench at Lincomb (Simon's album) you can see my OSF wheel is in the air. It's hung up on the roll bar. I can't detect any other damage and it all seems fine when running. But it's obviously had some serious forces at work there. I shall test it at Holymoorside tomorrow. In the meantime, as it's the top of the diff, I shall try to seal the leak by 'grouting' it with RTV until the NEXT bloody time I have to strip my axle.

Chris

it's only speculation this is your problem of course, you may find it's something else when you get to the bottom of it. There's not a lot of clearance or gasket material where the crown gear runs through the casing hole and the gasket must get pushed close enough to the gear to snag it. Will wait to see what you find :)

Durrr, like I actually have two spares in the garage. Why don't I go and have a look? What a dummy. I guess that if the gasket has gone and the CW is that close then at speed it going to be almost like a pump pushing oil out of there. Speculation it maybe Jon, but it's solid logic.

Thanks

Chris

Looks like you nailed it again Jon. Got a torch and mirror (ooer :whistle: ) and had a ferret around this morning. There is a piece of paper gasket showing at the top and clearly a cavity around 12 o'clock. Guess where? Yep, right under that damn bracket for the ABS loom. Well I have splurged some sealant unto there so we'll see.

Drat.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like I managed to plug that with some RTV. No drips today after a gruelling off road session yesterday. Everything is is busted to hell, but the front diff seems fine :thumbup:

Chris

What you broke now Chris? Glad the diff is sorted :thumbup:

Well not really broken Jon. Just battered. Good job I have a long weekend coming up. Conditions were really tough and I ripped my new arches off, bent my bumper, lost power to my fuel pump, blocked my rad again, bust the catch on my wheel carrier when I reversed into a trench - it's a long list. Even the awesome Lermas struggled. Only got hung up once, but pulled many out as usual. Rear winch playing up so don't know what that is. When I press spool in, the contractors click in and out - like a 3 second pulse. It pulls strongly but on and off. Don't know if that's the remote, the solenoids or the main power.

Tools out again.

Chris

Now listen here young man, if you can't learn to look after your toys a bit better... :lol:

Sounds like a fun day out senor Jay :drool:

It was. The trick is to know when to quit. Often that come about one second after you hear that big bang and dub, dub, dub dub noise!

I figured my luck was running short by about three after I had hurled the 80 into yet another vertical wall of mud. Looking around be there was a sea of other vehicles all with their 'front spoilers' up :lol:

Battered but not broken.

Chris

You've some need to talk Hombre :whistle:

When your pot is as mine is, you can call the kettle whatever colour you like eh ;)

That's probably the only fringe benefit I can think about.

Just off to collect firewood. Any advice on that issue? Hmm, well? Eh?

CeeJay

Busy weekend coming up then, I think you said you fancied a new bumper didn't you? :)

Not got the steel in for that caper Jon. I shall mend stuff first.

Chris

Back