Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil Change

lc 120

Country Flag
uk
Right, after Mr T quoted me £250+ to do an inter service oil change on my 04 Amazon I have given 'Amazon UK' over £50 in oil drain pan, axle stands, oil filter removers etc etc.. and Halford's another £40.00 on their special for oil, £12.00 to Mr T for a filter and I'm still in front so I'm going to go for it this weekend. Never professed to being handy with a spanner but I will have a go.....:icon-biggrin:

Easy job. Best of luck. Don't overtighten that oil filter and remember to run a smear of oil around the O ring before you screw it on. Check, check, check that you have put the drain plug back in before you pour the new oil in.

Cheers Chris, I've watched a number of Youtube videos so hopefully it should be OK, I did however not include the latex gloves for the oil change as I'm tough...:icon-biggrin:

Warm the car up first a bit, also (not knowing yet what side the drain plug is) it sometimes helps to slightly jack the opposite side up (not high, just a couple of inches will be fine, that way it can stay on it's wheels and be safe. Make sure you are prepared for:-

Hot oil gushing out - it will scoot out then slow to a dribble so think about where the pan should be located
Dropping the sump plug (see above)
New sump plug washer if these have them
Oil dripping from the filter after you remove it
Basically just be prepared for oil dripping every where you don't want it to!!
And as Chris says, put the sump plug back in, after wiping the hole carefully, put it in by hand then tighten when you are 100% sure it isn't cross threaded
When you've done that and done the filter, it's always good practice to have blue roll/tissues/rags around the filler neck as oil has an awful tendency to go everywhere but where you want it to.......
Check the level, when happy start the car - DO NOT REV IT - let the oil circulate and keep an eye on the oil light. If all good leave it to run for a bit but keep checking underneath for leaks. Once it's run for a few mins, leave a few mins, then check the oil level again. Do not overfill. Final leak test then off you pop for a wee drive to get it nice and warm then bring home to check again for leaks.
Makes it sound way more complex than it is, you'll be fine!!!

Cheers Chris, I've watched a number of Youtube videos so hopefully it should be OK, I did however not include the latex gloves for the oil change as I'm tough...:icon-biggrin:
Get the gloves. Makes things so much easier when the phone rings/dog jumps up/kids bring your cup of tea out/clean up time and oil engine oil is not particularly good for you.

Sump plug washer? do these come with the new filter?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Surely you won't need the stands to drain the oil? On my standard ride height 80 there's plenty of room to get under there to the drain plug, unless you've got the biggest of beer bellies maybe! The OE filter from T comes with the O ring seal ready greased, at least mine did. As for the sump washer, can't remember the last time I changed one or had a leak from the plug. If you wear a pair of clean latex gloves they usually give you enough grip on the filter (if it's reasonably clean) to undo it without a wrench unless it's been overtightened. JMO

I have ordered a filter removal tool from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow, when I pick up the new filter from Mr T in the morning I will purchase a new seal. Looks about it gents, thanks for the tips, who knows maybe a gearbox change next....:icon-rolleyes:

You don't need a new sump washer every time. I wouldn't bother about that. Just turn it over.

And what's that other maxim? If it aint broke...?

A new washer each time simply isn't necessary. Why not fit one for a few pence? Well really the timing on this occasion. If I were lined up to do an oil change. Everything sorted and then someone said that I needed a washer and that meant stopping, packing up and going to a main dealer just to get a washer that wasn't really needed, I'd be frustrated to say the least. On this occasion, for this change, if the OP didn't have a washer then I wouldn't lose any sleep.

That's why.

When I collected my discounted oil filter from Mr T this morning he also very kindly threw in a new washer....:icon-biggrin:

When I collected my discounted oil filter from Mr T this morning he also very kindly threw in a new washer....:icon-biggrin:

Get it mounted on a wall in a frame ! in my experience its a wonder MrT doesn't reverse the charges while calling you back ! with regards to the above i agree with Chris a washer is just a washer and forgetting to buy one would be typical of me - so i bought 10 and they live in my tobacco box of assorted washers .

It would be a good day to change it and everything arrived from Amazon this morning except the 16L drain pan...:icon-rolleyes:

Only 34 years. That explains it then.

Every fast food place , chippy , chinese , indian , mcdonalds , restaurant and even pie shops dump 5 gallon drums by the shed load every day :icon-wink:

Well maybe not mcdonalds they probably recycle theirs into burgers :|

Last edited:
It would be a good day to change it and everything arrived from Amazon this morning except the 16L drain pan...:icon-rolleyes:

Use the washing up bowl then deny knowledge of ever seeing it :lol:

Apology accepted. Very kind of you.

Glad you've learned something.

Meh, I use PTFE tape on my sump and diff plugs. Hasn't leaked yet...

Everyone unto their own.

But did you actually remember to put the oil in Ryan?

Back