Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil Change

But did you actually remember to put the oil in Ryan?

You joke. I once had an old Golf GTI and whilst carrying out an oil change I forgot to put the plug back in and proceeded to put the new oil in. Imagine my confusion after 5l there was still nothing showing on the dip stick. Then I saw the puddle under the car... Doh!

Maybe that's exactly why they call it a dip stick. Hmm?

I don't always change my washer tbh, my tool box is the other end of the workshop to the only ramp I can put the 80 on, it's a long walk :lol: never had a leak on any vehicle I've owned if the washer hasn't been changed.
A customers car always gets changed before I'm accused of unprofessional conduct!

You joke. I once had an old Golf GTI and whilst carrying out an oil change I forgot to put the plug back in and proceeded to put the new oil in. Imagine my confusion after 5l there was still nothing showing on the dip stick. Then I saw the puddle under the car... Doh!

Been there lol. Forgot to drain the oil before, filled it then realised when it's 6"above the max mark lol

Well thank you once again Steven. Perhaps if you weren't so pre occupied with trying to come up with another clever rant, which incidentally it wasn't, you might actually manage to extract the point of this discussion. The OP didn't have a washer at the time and a couple of us actually said in simple terms that this wasn't the end of the world. You can quite safely reuse a washer. I don't think that anyone said never use a new washer or that using a new washer was a daft idea. Simply that not using a new one every time wouldn't be detrimental. Now following your advice, I have been out and checked every one of the five cars on my drive and not one of them is dripping. Not from the sump nor any the diffs, nor transfer boxes. There is a slight leak on one of the locker actuators though. So good job you mentioned it.

Why aren't the plugs leaking? Well because I do the job well and it may surprise you that some of them had new washers! But it wasn't me in the original thread who was attempting an oil change. It was a self confessed newbie who had on his first occasion omitted to buy a new washer. We were simply reassuring him that the world would not end without using one this time.

I don't run a commercial garage servicing peoples' cars. But if I came to you, I'd expect all renewable parts to be changed (5% added to bill under consumables). Thing is this isn't a commercial forum. It's mates chatting. The question isn't whether it's right to change it; it's whether it's necessary. Necessary as in vital. And the answer to that is - no.

"Super moderator hero' I have to say I like that. Has a certain ring to it. Have absolutely no idea how that would be relevant as I wasn't expressing a view as a moderator. If I had been, I'd simply have deleted your posts in super hero style. Shazam!

But we don't do that here as we're nice people who don't generally resort to childish name calling and such.

Have a very nice evening. May all your sump washers be new ones.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bloomin eck, where on earth did all that come from :eek:

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I get my engine really hot then drain the oil and leave overnight. Before this I take the key off my ring and put it under the car mat so I don't drive off in the morning with a dry engine.

Steven I think we need to calm down a bit mate. or start the tablets back up. Chris is a sound chap and meant nothing by his post this was months ago and it still bothers you?

I get my engine really hot then drain the oil and leave overnight. Before this I take the key off my ring and put it under the car mat so I don't drive off in the morning with a dry engine.

Reminds me of a funny story Frank. I changed the water pump in an old Ford of mine when I was in college cause it was beyond dead. Anyways, I said I'd stick in a bit af antifreeze cause it was coming into the winter (do it right etc).

Went out to the shed...... no antifreeze.

Rang a mate (cause there was NO WATER in it) and headed off into town. One thing lead to etc and I didn't come home til late that night :banana-stoner::character-beavisbu::obscene-drinkingfa::obscene-drinkingfa::obscene-drinkingfa:

Next morning, no car!!

My darling mother kindly closed the bonnet and went for a drive.......

Time for a new car!!!

Back