Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

oil pressure gauge

24carrot

Hi all just wondering what your gauge reads .it just that on my 1992 4.2 td .the gauge sits .at between a Qatar and half. when hot.but after doing 300 miles to day when I stop at some lights .it droped down to below the Qatar .it's this ok? it went straight up again when I moved off

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My '94 80 does the same.

The gauge sender is notorious for sending incorrect readings. In my thread (link in sig) I show how to calibrate the sender so it represents the correct pressure, even new ones can read incorrectly.

regards

Dave

For the record, my '95 shows 2/3 from cold, then falls to 1/3 at idle when hot.

At running speed hot, it reads just under half way between 1/3 and 2/3.

As Dave said, I think this more a matter of calibration than the actual pressure.

I'm off to look at his thread now... :icon-biggrin:

Mine's exactly the same as yours Clive on my '94. Sits about horizontal when warm and running. I'm pretty sure Mr T has arranged all the gauges that way, except the fuel of course. [emoji4]

Morning men, Mr Carrot I'm with everyone above gauge readingwise, ie; starts around halfway but after a decent run can drop to almost no reading at all and that's on either the 12v or the 24v.

Quite fancy peeling open a sender can now as in Dave2000's link.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks everyone .for help .fill much better now .and i will have a look at Dave thread when i get a min .

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

If you prise the lid off the OE sender it can be tweaked to read pretty much wherever you like on the OE gauge but unless you know what the actual pressure is by checking with an accurate secondary gauge then there's not much point TBH. My OE gauge never reads higher than the 2/3rd mark, hot or cold but at this point the pressure can be anything from 50 to 75psi on the capillary gauge. JMO

If you prise the lid off the OE sender it can be tweaked to read pretty much wherever you like on the OE gauge but unless you know what the actual pressure is by checking with an accurate secondary gauge then there's not much point TBH. My OE gauge never reads higher than the 2/3rd mark, hot or cold but at this point the pressure can be anything from 50 to 75psi on the capillary gauge. JMO

Agreed, that is why I pointed out I used a master gauge to check my OP before setting the gauge, when set correctly the needle is very active indeed, cold virtually top of the scale, when hot at speed perhaps 7/8 of the scale, I also have an adjustable oil pressure switch set at 20 psi and bright red flashing LED/buzzer on the dashboard.

Unless you are an avid gauge watcher, you would not notice the oil pressure slowly falling after for example the front crankshaft seal failing and starts dumping your oil, when that seal goes, it goes in a big way with little warning.

regards

Dave

Not wanting to feel left out i will also look at daves thread..

I think my sender has a calibration screw sticking out.

The old old Rover V8's had a can with an adjustment screw, would like to bet the only people savvy enough to know which way to turn the screw were the used car salesmen of the time and weren't some them quite handy at getting sawdust down a funnel?

"Excellent oil pressure sir, very accurate these modern Lucas gauges" :whistle:

Back