Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil pressure

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
I know this has been covered many many times but can anyone give me the oil pressure specs for the 1hdft?

At warm am getting 40psi @ 2000rpm
And 55psi @ 3000rpm

Not the worlds best gauge now but its better than nothing

What thread do you have on your gauge, I was planning to get a gauge before leaving work this trip to check mine?
Is it 1/4”bsp?

Cheers

Am not sure what size it is, it came with the gauge along with other sizes and fittings

Somewhere in my mind I thought it was supposed to be 75 psi. Need to look and find where I got that figure. I know whatever it was supposed to be, mine made it. 45 sounds a bit low. Must be in the FSM somewhere. I'll check.

Somewhere in my mind I thought it was supposed to be 75 psi. Need to look and find where I got that figure. I know whatever it was supposed to be, mine made it. 45 sounds a bit low. Must be in the FSM somewhere. I'll check.

Aw naw ... i thought she was fairly good

Thats on oil thats been in for 4k suppose fresh oil and a filter and try again

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Screenshot_20181023-225340_Drive.jpg
That mean am ok

Just to add ......
On my 24v when you do a cold start you can see the pump PRV come into play on the gauge at about 90psi ......this shows on the dash gauge as just over 3/4 mark and it never shows less than just under the 1/4 mark even when been towing very heavy loads for extended time working very hard .
I have played at shimming the PRV on the pumps before just to see what the limit was , the pump , the PRV , or worn shells . This was on a much abused farm 12v engine that had 400K on it .....in this case the pump and worn shells could make about 80psi @ 3500 rpm so the PRV was never being unseated......it still had 8 psi @ Tickover even when hot .

My 1HZ delivers about 14 psi at idle and about 60 psi at highway speeds circa 2,500 RPM, BEBs replaced a few years ago and 420k km on the clock.

I’m not going to worry myself about the shortfall on the book pressures... its old, end of :lol:

Shortfall Clive? 60 psi is about midway between 36 and 87 so I’d say pretty good really. Oil temperature and viscosity is going to play a major part in this. I would have thought change in pressure over time would be of more interest.

The main thing is to have oil pressure at every point oil is needed.

Am now content in the mean time. Mayb in a year or 2 il take her in for a complete over haul, until then just keep her movin

Shortfall Clive? 60 psi is about midway between 36 and 87 so I’d say pretty good really. Oil temperature and viscosity is going to play a major part in this. I would have thought change in pressure over time would be of more interest.

The main thing is to have oil pressure at every point oil is needed.

True enough Rich, and that’s the harder one to track.

AFAIK it’s the main crank bearings that ‘create’ the pressure measured at the gauge, forcing oil to all the appropriate places, but (for example) knowing whether the cam shaft is getting enough, or its bearings, is a bit hit and miss.

BTW, I’m running on Morris’ oil as you might imagine Rich, seems to be on the button too... Thanks :thumbup:

Looking at the specs in the FSM it’s apparent that these engines can survive well on relatively ‘low’ OP. You are right Clive in that the main bearing journals are first in line in the feed from the oil pump so they will have the biggest influence on OP.

A compression test will give you a better idea of the state of the engine if thats what your after. Other than BEBs theres no other issues with bearings.
if it doesn't smoke excessively, knock,bang or rattle, and pulls as it should. You'll be 'reet..

A compression test will give you a better idea of the state of the engine if thats what your after. Other than BEBs theres no other issues with bearings.
if it doesn't smoke excessively, knock,bang or rattle, and pulls as it should. You'll be 'reet..

I had a compression test on mine and it showed all 6 to be ‘acceptable’ whatever that means. I had a shock when i discovered that the compression on the 1HZ is something like 28:1 compared with something more like 17:1 for the 1HD...

Might be wrong from memory on the exact numbers, but they’re in that region I think. They’re very different engines in many ways, not just a missing turbo.

The turbo will be the reason for lower compression specs. Sticking a turbo on a NA engine usually means lowering compression with a thicker head gasket or some other method to avoid detonation.

Back