Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

old or new style dash?

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
I was in a 12 valve today and it dawned on me that i think i prefer the older syle dash. I wonder why they bothered to change it for the sake of four years?
or maybe its just because its different than what i look at everyday..

I looked at a 12V dash for 16 years before moving on to a 24V. Would I move back? No in a word.

I’m quite happy with mine but I can perhaps see the advantage of the later layout having more flat surfaces maybe?

Why do you prefer the 24v dash andy?
why are flat surfaces an advantage rich? Maybe thats why i prefere the 12v dash, its certainly more sculpted, i like the large rounded buttons too.

You certainly can’t mount any sort of modern day gadget anywhere close to the driver on the old style. Advantage? It’s down to preference I guess. In mounting my CB and AR head units I guess they could have gone on the top of the dash as an option.

Old style dash for me, I was asked this exact question on the MUD forum back in 2010, I feel the later version sort of crowds the driver, just my take along with the 12 valve engine, less pipework less valves, less is more off road, BTW my CB is in the ashtray.

If I was to buy another 80 to keep in the garage, and not get dirty I would get the last model they made, but only from an age, condition and mileage perspective.....oh it would have to be black. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I really like the 12v dash as it curves around on the instrument cluster upper part. It makes me feel like I'm in an airplane cock pit!
When I drove the 24v donor truck, It didn't really feel like home!
I guess it's all down to what your used to!

As I understand the design of the old dash was based on the shape of a grand piano....

I really like the 12v dash as it curves around on the instrument cluster upper part. It makes me feel like I'm in an airplane cock pit!
When I drove the 24v donor truck, It didn't really feel like home!
I guess it's all down to what your used to!
I know what you mean by aeroplane cockpit.

As I understand the design of the old dash was based on the shape of a grand piano....
i never knew that mussy

i bet anyone 50 quid if i changed mine over one weekend the missus wouldnt even notice..

Why do you prefer the 24v dash andy?
why are flat surfaces an advantage rich? Maybe thats why i prefere the 12v dash, its certainly more sculpted, i like the large rounded buttons too.

I guess I just like things flat and square. When I bought my 1st Cruiser I'd already tried the 24V but manual only and felt when I bought the auto 12V I had taken a backwards step.

i never knew that mussy

From

http://www.toyotaglobal.com/showroom/vehicle_heritage/landcruiser/collection/model_80_2.html

Some nice info...if you're too lazy to read all here are the dashboard infos;

"The same instrument panel was used on the 80-series from its first release in 1989 through 1994. The curved design was modeled after a grand piano, and had a rich sense of volume. The switches were easy to see and operate.

With the minor change in 1995 the 80-series introduced significant changes in the interior. The instrument panel was divided into a meter panel and a center panel, and the number of switches it shared with other models increased."

Thanks mussy! Some interesting info there! It's a real shame that they had to change it!!!:laughing-rolling::thumbup:

i never knew that mussy

From

http://www.toyotaglobal.com/showroom/vehicle_heritage/landcruiser/collection/model_80_2.html

Some nice info...if you're too lazy to read all here are the dashboard infos;

"The same instrument panel was used on the 80-series from its first release in 1989 through 1994. The curved design was modeled after a grand piano, and had a rich sense of volume. The switches were easy to see and operate.

With the minor change in 1995 the 80-series introduced significant changes in the interior. The instrument panel was divided into a meter panel and a center panel, and the number of switches it shared with other models increased."
Hmm, im getting some links and an offer to buy the domain.:icon-cry:

or if the chrysanthemums needed changing in the cup holder..

ah! no cup holder on the 12 valve dash.. the conversions off!:eusa-snooty:

or if the chrysanthemums needed changing in the cup holder..

ah! no cup holder on the 12 valve dash.. the conversions off!:eusa-snooty:

I’ve got a cup holder in my 12v dash... it’s in that empty slot where the white charger cable can be seen, above the double-din in the photos below.

Actually, I’ve no idea whether my 1995 has the old or the new dash, you guys are debating. Maybe something in between being a Euro “farmer” spec.

And yes, I know, the steering wheel’s on the wrong side... :lol: and there’s been a lot of changes since these photos but the dash layout is the same.

813C23E5-B48C-4ED7-BC20-EC9BBF0ECD3E.jpeg

5FC24E7C-3385-4E13-96EC-087C273960DF.jpeg

Back