Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

1997 Andy Green of the UK becomes the first person to break the sound barrier in the Earth's atmosphere, driving the ThrustSSC supersonic car to a record 763 mph (1,228 km/h).

Whilst being towed by a Cruiser :lol:
I remember seeing Thrust in Coventry motor museum, and the film of the record breaking event

1997 Andy Green of the UK becomes the first person to break the sound barrier in the Earth's atmosphere, driving the ThrustSSC supersonic car to a record 763 mph (1,228 km/h).

Whilst being towed by a Cruiser :lol:
I remember seeing Thrust in Coventry motor museum, and the film of the record breaking event

Not according to this Brian, but yes, the the first to record under FIA rules

16th October 1987 - Southern Britain began a massive clear-up operation after the worst night of storms in living memory. BBC Weatherman Michael Fish faced criticism, as he had reassured viewers that the worst of the stormy weather would be across Spain and France.

30 years to the day when we're having another large storm.

Not according to this Brian, but yes, the the first to record under FIA rules
I seem to remember at some time, to qualify for the world record the engine had to drive the wheels. So officially Donald Campbell still holds the official record.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That must have changed under the FIA Chas, but I agree, the wheels being driven distinguishes a vehicle from a (very) low flying aircraft, IMO.

That must have changed under the FIA Chas, but I agree, the wheels being driven distinguishes a vehicle from a (very) low flying aircraft, IMO.
And I'd bet the Yanks chose the direction to run that had a tail wind. :laughing-rolling:

And I'd bet the Yanks chose the direction to run that had a tail wind. :laughing-rolling:
Doesn't a record attempt have to be in both directions within a set time? An hour iirc?

AND it's supposed to have FOUR wheels
yep, the video link in Post#24 goes into this detail, but there's no mention of powered wheels stragely, and FIA rules say powered wheels, unless there are different categories of record...

1793: Marie Antoinette said hello to the guillotine.
(If we still are before midnight)

1980: Elisabeth II is the first ruling British monark on an official state visit to the pope in the Vatican.

1938: Evel Knievel was born. (Remember him? I guess we all have seen him on the silver screen)

1931 Al Capone was convicted of income tax evasion for which he was sentenced to 11 years in prison.

1980: Elisabeth II is the first ruling British monark on an official state visit to the pope in the Vatican.

1938: Evel Knievel was born. (Remember him? I guess we all have seen him on the silver screen)
I certainly remember Evel Knievel, I was at Wembley and saw him jump, and crash, can't remember what year that was though.

I certainly remember Evel Knievel, I was at Wembley
I think it was 1975, I was there too. He very nearly made it, he cleared the buses, but just clipped the end of the exit ramp with his back wheel. I seem to remember that there was someone high diving (well, sort of bellyflopping) into about a foot of water and a different bike rider going up and down a cable attached from the ground to high up on the stadium too.

202 BC: Battle of Zama - marked the end of the Second Punic War.
Hanibal of Carthago and his elephants was finally defeated by the romans under Scipio, with the aid of the Numidians.
640px-Schlacht_bei_Zama_Gemälde_H_P_Motte.jpg

By Henri-Paul Motte - Das Wissen des 20.Jahrhunderts, Bildungslexikon, Rheda 1931, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2151651

20 October 1818 – The Convention of 1818 is signed between the United States and the United Kingdom, which settles the Canada–United States border on the 49th parallel for most of its length.

Back