On this day in history

flint

Supporter
Mar 11, 2014
Robert the Bruce defeated Edward II at Byland in 1322.

Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
I am in romania
May 23, 2012
Comarnic, Romania
Garage
And today 15th? Dutch dancer Mata Hari was executed by firing squad for spying for Germany during WWI at Vincennes near Paris (thanks goooogle)

Reactions: Chas

Chas

Supporter
I am in england
Mar 15, 2010
Merton Park London
Garage
And today 15th? Dutch dancer Mata Hari was executed by firing squad for spying for Germany during WWI at Vincennes near Paris (thanks goooogle)
she was accused of revealing details of the Allies’ new weapon, the tank, resulting in the deaths of thousands of soldiers.
In my best Michal Caine voice "Not many people know that"

Reactions: Mick W and Brian S

Chas

Supporter
I am in england
Mar 15, 2010
Merton Park London
Garage
This day in 1666 Samuel Pepys recorded in his diary that Charles II had started wearing the first known waistcoat. The King was so overweight that he left the bottom button undone, a fashion custom followed to this day.

Reactions: jibberjabber

uHu

Supporter
I am in norway
Mar 7, 2010
Oslo, Norway
In 1888, Jack the Ripper posted a letter to George Lusk, containing half a human kidney.
(not for sure, but it's likely that this letter (out of many similar) actually came from the Ripper himself)

uHu

Supporter
I am in norway
Mar 7, 2010
Oslo, Norway
1946, Hermann Göring took cyanid, in his cell, a few hours before most of the high ranking officers were executed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks