Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

On this day in 1974 Bombs planted by the IRA rip through two Birmingham pubs, killing 21 people and injuring 182 more

On this day in 1991 we lost one of the greatest pop showman of all time, Farrokh Bulsara (5 September 1946 – 24 November 1991), better known professionally as Freddie Mercury.

On this day in 1975 Two-times Formula One champion Graham Hill dies when a plane he is piloting crashes in Hertfordshire.

On this day in 1984 Hundreds of people died after toxic gases leaked from a chemical factory near the central Indian city of Bhopal.

On this day in 1974 Bombs planted by the IRA rip through two Birmingham pubs, killing 21 people and injuring 182 more

I remember that well... the fiancée of my good friend at that time lost her life in the Cabin.

On this day in1988 Two commuter trains collide in Clapham, south London, killing 35 people and injuring hundreds more.
I remember this well, it happened not far from where I live.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I remember it too, not long after we left the area but I used to walk near where it happened quite a lot.

Now a Christmassy one, On this day 200yrs ago The Christmas carol Silent Night was first performed in Austria, in the village of Oberndorf near Salzburg, on Christmas Eve 1818. :text-merryxmas:

On this day in 1986 The Challenger space shuttle explodes just over a minute after launch, killing all seven astronauts on board

On this day in 1986 The Challenger space shuttle explodes just over a minute after launch, killing all seven astronauts on board
Yes i remember it well because we fixed the leak on the plasma cutter the nex day.

It's his fault we have to take our shoes off before a flight!

On this day in 2003 British-born Richard Reid jailed for life for trying to blow up an American Airlines flight using explosives hidden in his shoes

A day late but on January 30th 1972 British troops opens fire on unarmed civilians , hitting 24. 12 died in one of the most infamous & shameful episodes of recent British history.

Last edited:
On this day in February 1959, in Clear Lake, Iowa, United States, Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens died in a plane crash.

Last edited:
On this day in 1952 King George VI dies in his sleep at Sandringham House, Norfolk, aged 56.

On this day in 1952 Princess Elizabeth formally proclaims herself Queen and Head of the Commonwealth and Defender of the Faith.

On this day in 1984 British figure skaters Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean win gold at the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo

Reactions: Pat
On this day in 1971 A new decimal currency was launched across Britain, replacing pounds, shillings and pence

Last edited:
On this day in 2005 Fox hunting with dogs becomes illegal in England and Wales as a ban on the activity comes into force.

On this day in 1984 Tens of thousands of Britain's miners stop work - the start of a bitter, year-long battle against job losses

Back