Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

One for the tech's please

silvercruiser said:
Just to resurrect this thread, my noise has finally reared it's ugly head.

I could here the noise at idle and it sounded like the viscous coupling on the fan, so I switched it off and thought its cold enough il take the fan off but when I started to crack the nuts to take it off I noticed movement :o , it is the bearing on the water pump that I changed just over a year ago so thanks to milners once again I will be taking it off to replace :(

So calling mr rubie :D

Joe

Hi
Just wondering if it was your pump causing the rattle noise?
I have the same noise at turn on, disappears as soon as the engine is hot.
The wisdom down under is that its the idler wheel assembly that drives the injector pump...

I have a knock that appears when the engine is hot which seems to be coming from the area of the injector pump. I have already changed the bearing on the front of the pump drive wheel but from what you have said Wombling, thats the next thing to check. There is a shaft at the back of the idler gear which can wear. My local dealer priced this at £90 but I won't be ordering it until I have stripped down the front of the engine to have a look first.

Steve

WomblingFree said:
silvercruiser said:
Just to resurrect this thread, my noise has finally reared it's ugly head.

I could here the noise at idle and it sounded like the viscous coupling on the fan, so I switched it off and thought its cold enough il take the fan off but when I started to crack the nuts to take it off I noticed movement :o , it is the bearing on the water pump that I changed just over a year ago so thanks to milners once again I will be taking it off to replace :(

So calling mr rubie :D

Joe

Hi
Just wondering if it was your pump causing the rattle noise?
I have the same noise at turn on, disappears as soon as the engine is hot.
The wisdom down under is that its the idler wheel assembly that drives the injector pump...

Hello Yes the bearing had collapsed on the water pump so i have fitted a geniune toyota one now and all is quite and smooth again :thumbup:

Steve H said:
I have a knock that appears when the engine is hot which seems to be coming from the area of the injector pump. I have already changed the bearing on the front of the pump drive wheel but from what you have said Wombling, thats the next thing to check. There is a shaft at the back of the idler gear which can wear. My local dealer priced this at £90 but I won't be ordering it until I have stripped down the front of the engine to have a look first.

Steve

Hi Steve
Have a listen to this vid http://home.exetel.com.au/income/temp/VIDEO0001.zip of my engine.
At approx 28 seconds you'll hear the noise my engine is making.
Its usually a hell of a lot louder than this but this was taken at 11:00 instead of the 06:00 I usually notice it at.
A diesel mechanic friend of mine has told me this is the sound the idler gear assembly makes when its worn out. He's dealt with 16 of them so far so is pretty certain about it and it seems to be a not uncommon problem down here. My cars done 260,000Km if that's anything to go by.
Unfortunately for me, there's no parts in Australia at present.

There's a parts blow up of it all here - http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_200003_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_KZJ95R-GKMNTQ_1301.html. The bits affected are all in the middle row.

A quote from my mate after he heard the video -
Yep, unfortunately that is the idler gear assembly, that sharp noise that comes and goes. It's a bugger of a thing because it does come and go. What I would like you to do is take off your bash plate and on start up get your ear as close as you can get to the front of the pump. If the noise is coming from there then it's the idler gear assembly. If this is the case I would take it to a decent diesel mechanic/fitter or if you are handy with the tools you can save a lot of money but you need to know what you are doing. There are line up marks on all the gears and you cannot afford to get this wrong. There is a special procedure for pulling apart the idler gear assembly as well.
The other bad news is that you can only buy this component or should I say components, from Toyota Parts only, yes genuine only, so bend over.
Most of the wear that I have found has been on the idler gear, the idler shaft and I always replace the wave washers, springs and thrust plate. The other two sub gears will have to be inspected for wear or damage and replaced if found to be the case.

If this is the same noise that you hear then do not drive the car if you can avoid it. If the idler assembly lets go, it'll do a shit load of damage to the engine.

Cheers
Malcom

That video wont load for me, Wombling keeps coming up corrupted. That noise on my engine has been there since I purchased the truck with 92,000miles on the clock and I am now on 168,000 and counting. The noise doesn't seem to get any louder but is annoying to say the least. The TOYO pics don't show either here but I do have a print of them from my Toyota dealer so can cross reference them from that. Should have done this when the head went for the second time but needed the truck back on the road for a holiday trip. Thanks for the info and will let you know how I get on :thumbup: :clap:

Steve

Steve H said:
That video wont load for me, Wombling keeps coming up corrupted. That noise on my engine has been there since I purchased the truck with 92,000miles on the clock and I am now on 168,000 and counting. The noise doesn't seem to get any louder but is annoying to say the least. The TOYO pics don't show either here but I do have a print of them from my Toyota dealer so can cross reference them from that. Should have done this when the head went for the second time but needed the truck back on the road for a holiday trip. Thanks for the info and will let you know how I get on :thumbup: :clap:

Steve

Hi Steve

I'll re upload the clip tonight for you. Will let you know when done.
Thing is that if it sounds the same, you shouldn't drive it till proven one way or the other. If the idler lets go, it can destroy the motor.
Been a lot of these fail in Australia.

cheers
Malcom

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Steve H said:

Steve

Steve
Try this link - http://home.exetel.com.au/income/temp/prado.m4a

cheers
Malcom

Steve H said:

Steve

BTW if you go to this site, register (free) and enter your VIN, you'll get all the parts manuals displayed.
http://www.toyodiy.com

Excellent site

I have listened to your video a couple of times now and the noise on my truck is not that different only in that it is there all the time once the engine is hot. It disappears when you turn the steering which must load it and takes up the play. You can hear it inside the truck as well as outside. Going to price up the parts tommorow at my local dealers :pray: . I also managed to register at TOYODIY and now have pics to go with the part numbers :thumbup: :thumbup: . Thanks for that info been trying for a while to get them to work.

Steve

Back