Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Optitron gauge display?

AustinH

Country Flag
uganda
Hey all, I'm wondering if there's a way to quickly tell the difference between an Optitron display and a standard one? I'm trying to order new glass for it and there's either the Optitron KPH option or the standard for my Australian spec 120. There's oddly little online about the differences between these, so perhaps this thread could help someone else. I've attached a photo of my gauges for reference. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7498.jpg
    IMG_7498.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 16
I think the optitron ones have a 'light' that extends beyond the needle on the speedo and touches the circular surround. Can't see that on yours, but maybe its hard to see in the picture!

Happy holidays everyone...

So I've found that the Optitron display is almost completely black when off and the numbers are backlit, whereas the regular displays have the usual white numbering. I've read it's possible you can swap these out from the breakers if you're keen on a fancy upgrade. Personally I like the basic "always on" : ) version.

I'm sure there's threads about this already, but worth mentioning that the "glass" (it's plastic) on these gauge clusters is quite easily removable for cleaning. I polished mine with some "whitening" white toothpaste (due to overly ambitious car cleaners from the previous owners), but then realized that the covers can be bought from Amayama for about $18 + shipping. It's in the parts catalogues under electrics > meter. I would recommend entering your vin to see exactly which one you need, as they vary a bit between 83821-6C850 and 83821-6D040 (and maybe others).

This video has the removal of an Optitron, note how you can't easily see the white numbers:

Back