Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Orange diff light . How do turn I it off please

Kieron

Country Flag
uk
Hi I have a 2004 100 series
well tonight I accidentally turned the diff switch on …using the button below the hazard warning light switch. The orange indicator has come on the dash
please excuse my ignorance and shame on me but I never use the high low boxes and diff locks etc
so could anyone tell me how to switch the orange light off
maybe also can you explain to me it’s purpose
regards all oh a early happy Christmas
kieron in the UK

Have you tried pressing the button again to turn it off? It sounds like the centre diff lock button which effectively locks up the variable output box between the front and rear props. If you've pressed it again but the light hasn't gone off, it should do once you start driving around.

Hi Chris
Thanks for your prompt reply
Yes I've tried pressing the button but the dash lights remains on. I then drove an hour home and the light also remained on.
The driving experience is still normal.
Do you have any other ideas ?
Cheers kieron

I see you're from Chesterfield. I live in Darley Dale. What colour is your Amazon I'll look out for it ?

Try going forward and Backwards a couple of meters. For a while, It might just be stuck, Keep doing it till the light goes off, Failing that dont know.. Im not a 100 series owner.... But if the front or rear diff is stuck on after its been disengaged.... What we normall do is 'Yok' it back and forth... Usually works

Yes South side of Chesterfield. You won't see my Amazon anwhere around at the moment. You might see an electric blue Hilux if I have to go to Milner though. Higgy's right, back and forth normally cures it, but if it's driving round tight bends OK then it might just be the detent switch that is stuck in the on position. They are a bit hinky in that respect and do fail. It's an easy thing to pull off and clean. 27mm socket. Normally they fail open, but this one might have gone the opposite way.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Chris and High
Thanks for the advice
I'll give it a go back and forth. I did try the reverse but no joy. Do I need to press the switch again or will the forward and reverse movement do this for me ?
Cheers all

Imagine the button just moves a rusty gate bolt that hasn't been used in years . More than that the hole it needs to slot into , or out of , a hole which rotates on a clock face so it can only free the bolt at say one oclock in the split second the weight comes off the pin .

The light is stuck on so you don't know if its trying to engage or disengage the difflock . Its really just a touchy feely game of luck . My trucks are all manual so i'd probably just roll backwards slowly in neutral down a hill swinging the steering wheel side to side . I know nothing about auto's .

Hi Shane
Thanks for your input. I really should know more than i do about my own car !
Cheers kieron

Are you hearing any buzzing at all or a click when you press the button in or out? Do this with ign on but no engine running. Just helps us to work out what's going on.

No I don't hear any clicking but ill try that tonight with the engine off. Thanks to you all for your advice

I dont think anything would engage unless you had the gearbox in (L) low... Try disengaging with the Box in Low.. Im not a 100 series owner so not sure if its possible to engage diff locks if its not in the (L) low position...... If its Driving ok with no clunking or wheels trying to skip, I should imagine its as Chris said and more of a electrical gremlin (switch).....

You can lock CDL in high range

If the cdl is locked in high range would i feel any difference whilst driving ?
Cheers all
Kieron

You can feel/see if the CDL switch is in or out, it's a normal push-button type click in - click out. And yes, it works in both low and high range.

After disengaging the CDL, the actual locker will not release until all tension is taken off the driveline. That normally happens when driving straight, or moving a bit back and forth with hard/sudden braking. If the wheels are not the same diameter, it can be nearly impossible to get it to disengage, as the axles will always move at a different speed.

Otoh, if the CDL is not regularly exercised, it will become sticky and difficult to both engage and disengage. In the owner's manual for my 80 (which has the exact same CDL), it said to engage the CDL at least once a week.

The CDL locks the front and rear propeller shafts together, forcing the front and rear axles to move at the same speed. When driving in curves, the front axle/wheels have to move a longer distance than the rears. If on a paved road, you will notice binding between the axles when driving in a curve, which feels like braking. This will be stronger the better the friction and the sharper the turning.

If you can not determine whether the center diff is locked or not, you can jack up both wheels on one side. You have to do it on level ground and make sure the car can not roll off the jack stands, and then put the gear selector in N and handbrake off. That will do two things: One is that all tension in the driveline will be released, and Two: If you then turn one wheel, the other one will also turn if the CDL is engaged. If it does not turn and the CDL light is still illuminated, you know that the problem is only in the CDL light switch/sensor.

Thanks mate for all of that. I don't think the button has been operated in the last 5 years....no snow and I don't do mud
Cheers kieron

Hi All
First of all thanks for all your replies and help freely given
I went out and operated the switch with the ignition on only. I could hear the relay operating behind the glove box. But the light stayed on. I did as you all reccomend to drive the vehicle forwards and backwards. I did this only once and the light went out RESULT. The light is now out sorted
Many thanks
On another note I recently asked Burrows Toyota Sheffield to carry out a service on my truck. All filters engine ..fuel..no pollen filters i guess ? , engine oil, transmission oil auto box etc ,
diff oils ..anti freeze . Not air filter as I dropped one in last year. All for £250 including vat. Does that sound like a good deal? I usually let them change the 10 litres of oil and filter for £100. Is there anything I should have serviced ? It only does about 5k a year and no dirty work . It now has 188k on the clock.
Cheers all Kieron

Result. Good. If they do ALL of that inc parts for £250 I'd say do it!

I'm sorry ....they did do it and I thought it was a deal. I know most of you guys do your own but I'm better at other things . Cheers all

Chris is saying it is a good deal , and as a bonus to this happy ending you learned something about your truck and prolonged its life some :thumbup:

Back