Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Our Big Trip Around Australia

We've been out of communication range for about a week now, but have had to make a detour back to civilisation ie Mt Isa. One of the airbags I fitted to the rear popped on the first proper corrugated road that we did. We are doing a 600km round trip to pick up new HD springs (the rear is sagging and bottoming out quite a bit now). Got here this afternoon and the Kings springs that I ordered from Repco haven't arrived (like they said on the phone), and the guy now isn't sure when they will be here... Luckily TJM were across the road and had some HD springs (also made by Kings) in stock. I will fit them in the morning.

Having now done 500km of corrugations in the last few days, I understand why good suspension is so important. The airbags had done pay and play sites as well as towed for a few months with no issues. But less than 100km of corrugations and poof!

We are busy following the Savannah Way at the moment and loving everyday. I must find time to update the blog!

And a pic :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372424544.182169.jpg

I'm an idiot...

Tried to fit the new springs this morning but soon realised that they are much bigger than the old springs and the spring locators won't fit the new springs. So I call TJM who advise that I should just fit them without the cone. Now I know some people don't use the cones and just cable tie the top of the spring, but my common sense has returned at this point (you'll see what I mean in a sec) and I ask the guy to double check the spring code that I have. They have given me 200 springs...and if I want I can return them for a refund. Aaarrrggghhh!!! So just before I stick the old springs back in I decide to see exactly where the old bag is leaking. I put air in it and can hear it coming out but the bag seems sound... Then I realise it is the valve. And the valve isn't damaged, the valve core has just vibrated out. AAAARRRGGGHHH!!! A 600km detour because I just assumed it had split. Idiot, idiot, idiot...

I finally got bogged for the first time on this trip. In the campsite... And managed to rip off the extended mudguard. Gotta love the Aussies who couldn't help fast enough and had me out in under 5 minutes. I also managed to plastic weld the mudguard with a gas soldering iron and some cable ties for plastic filler - will see how long this fix lasts with all the dirt (stone) tracks we are doing.

Today I also figured out that I need to upgrade my Ironman shocks. They seem ok first thing in the morning - surprisingly good actually on some very badly corrugated roads - but after an hour or two (depending on how fast we are going) they lose quite a lot of damping (as they are probably overheating), making the ride pretty harsh - I keep waiting for something to fall off. The braking also gets quite tricky because the wheels just want to skip over the bumps when they lose damping. I'll definitely go for bigger bore shocks next.

Back