Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Out & About in Fiery today......

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
.......took the day out to drive some local lanes with my son Robert before he starts school tomorrow :) A friend of mine Pete jumped in with me & Rob for the day & another m8 Giles & his son Luke joined us for the day in his LR90 :D

P9010211.jpg

P9010212.jpg

P9010213.jpg

P9010214.jpg

P9010215.jpg

I'm a little uncertain with regards to the body roll & suspension compression that these Collies have :?

I'm going to give some consideration towards removing the ARB's I think :)

P9010217.jpg

P9010218.jpg

P9010219.jpg

P9010220.jpg

Time for some Pin Strips :D

P9010221.jpg

P9010222.jpg

P9010224.jpg

P9010226.jpg

P9010231.jpg

P9010232.jpg

Now here's a good opportunity to investigate the body roll during compression :) I've watched countless videos of Collies doing there thing off road & pondered over many many many photos & the thing that keeps striking me is how much body roll there is on a Collie when the suspension is under compression :(

P9010233.jpg

P9010234.jpg

P9010235.jpg

Compare this with my Vitara with loads of compression the body's still nice & flat :D No ARB's fitted :)

P1010002.jpg

So I jumped under the back for a closer look & sure enough the axle has not hit its stop but the body has become sprung & unstable I believe due to the ARB's :) I can't help but feel that Fiery's ARB's days are numbered for me :) What you guys think :?: I've spent quite some time discussing this with Paul @ West Coast :) But would be interested in your thoughts & experiences :thumbup:

P9010236.jpg

P9010237.jpg

P9010238.jpg

P9010240.jpg

P9010246.jpg

P9010248.jpg

P9010249.jpg

P9010251.jpg

P9010254.jpg

All in all though a great day with great weather great company & a great truck :D :thumbup:

Anti roll bars.

SAE
I did mention that you can lengthen the down struts by using Terrano ones. It does make a difference. I think you said that you'd read that post. For £11 it's worth doing.

Chris

You just piped me to it then Chris :D

I did read about lengthening the drop links by using the Nissan Terrano ones up front & while this may give a liitle more droop the problem that I've found with ARB's while off road is when they come under compression on one side they then make the vehicle all springy & unstable before the rear axle has had a chance to fully compress thus tipping the body before soaking up the obstacle within the full range of the suspension travel. I can't help but think that by fitting longer drop links you will only exacerbate this problem with the vehicle becomeing sprung & unstable even sooner as the ARB's will come under compression that much earlier :)

Just my thoughts off course :)

when an ARB is at an angle as when you lift without extending the links it takes more force to move it so you are less likely to achieve full compression.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Even more reason to work towards a solution for complete removal in that case then :D They really are one of the big factors in liniting off road ability & stability :(

I took the ARB's off my old 80 and it did make it flex better but it had a 5" lift. On 2" or so lifts I would extend the ARB links and have the best of both worlds - improved flex and retain the ARB function on road which is more helpful on a lifted truck than at OEM height. The other option to look at is a quick disconnect.

Mmmmm..this is turning into a whole new topic :D

Maybe I'll start a new thread in tech this evening on the pros & cons of ARB's as there is always alot of very strong opinion on this subjet & one thats worth deep & considered thought in my opinion :D

So till this evening then :D :D :D

Not sure if you could fab up some ARB disconnects o rmaybe even work out how to modify the electric ones off a Patrol. That would be the best of every world.

Chris said:
Anti roll bars.

SAE
I did mention that you can lengthen the down struts by using Terrano ones. It does make a difference. I think you said that you'd read that post. For £11 it's worth doing.

Chris

Does anyone have a part code, and where is the best place to order them?

if you do remove the ARB - remember to tell the insurance co - as they may invalidate a claim otherwise...

the rear arb is not a mot requirement
i removed both mine on my 80 due to the lack of flex as advised
i recon i got about 2" more flex
i do get a bit of roll on the road but hey its not a raceing car
and i do put the front back on for mot

Andy makes a good point, it may not be an MOT requirement however it is a standard factory fit item and as such if you were in an accident then the insurance company could well invalidate the claim as they could argue that if the vehicle was fitted with it as standard it was designed to need it to handle correctly and as such the accident could have been caused by the vehicle handling incorrectly or unsafely.

Mind you they can argue that about pretty much any mod which is why you really need to tell them - bigger tyres, different wheels etc.

What you have to remember even sticking a smelly thingy on your dash board is classed as a mod ( in the insurance world) and if not declaired can invalidate your insurance.

Back to subject if you go to the Lower Wish Bone post on the other forum P+P posted something that maybe of interest to you.

Steve

Back