Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

overland or bust experience counts with this one

landcruiserjohnb

hi guys
I have a few questions.
just wondering with all the real experience that people have regarding taking their Cruisers on holidays.
What advice would you give regarding preparing the Cruiser before a trip.
What should be serviced/ upgraded/ or replaced before the trip.
What tyres are best AT or Mud.
What items are best to take along just in case.
Is an organised tour better to start with.
What items on the cruiser are prone to breakage.
Any other advice would be great.
thanks
john

Hi John,

Where are you going on holiday?
The requirements for Cornwall are different than Mali and Kenya.

Graham

Ditto, if your are going to anywhere in Europe then just get roadside assistance and make sure its in reasonable shape like you would with any other car, now if your are going further than that then let us know and we will be able to help you out. Also the duration of the trip will help as well as we will have an idea of how much stuff you will be karting along ;)

What Cruiser are you taking?

landcruiserjohnb said:
hi guys
I have a few questions.
just wondering with all the real experience that people have regarding taking their Cruisers on holidays.
What advice would you give regarding preparing the Cruiser before a trip.
Keep it as close to stock as possible. Stupidly big lifts look stupid when you roll over swerving around some 3rd world driver.
Stock engines are easier to source parts for via phone/internet

What should be serviced/ upgraded/ or replaced before the trip.
I would do a major service as the minimum
Upgrades might include an extra battery,storage for jerry cans or long range tank.Extra spare tyre.
What tyres are best AT or Mud.
A/T are best in sandy conditions and on road,M/T are best in muddy conditions,but you must have known that one :naughty:

What items are best to take along just in case.
Something the americans call a "ditch pack" If worst comes to worst and you have to let the vehicle slide over a cliff/become submerged/catch fire,you get out with the ditch pack containing cash,cards,phone numbers,spare keys and anything you need to get home.
Is an organised tour better to start with.

They are good for newbies but you can get stuck with someone or an itinery you hate . The ones I have seen are overpriced.A group of friends with similar sized 4wds is best
What items on the cruiser are prone to breakage.
If you let the tyres down to suit the conditions and go easy on the pedal,its hard to break a landcruiser.

Back