Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Painting plastic

nivapilot

Country Flag
england
Hi all, have a snorkel, from a cheaper supplier than safari or airtec, and would like to paint it, colour code it to the car.
What would I need to prime it with?
Thanks
Alan

Hi Alan

Cant help you myself but I seem to remember Graham has painted his silver to match the cruiser. He might be of help.

Chris

Hi Alan,

I took my snorkel to a local body shop.
Nothing fancy.
He told me a good clean with some plastic tolerant solvent
Then a wash in warm water with a touch of Fairy liquid washing up.
No rubbing down
A couple of build primer coats, don't know how many though.
Then the Silver, don't know if it is ordinary silver for car body repair, or a flexible silver.
Sorry.
Then I went up to West Coast 4x4 in Banks, Southport, and Paul and his crew fitted it for me.

Gra.

As said a good clean, but just to be different I do rub the plastic down to remove the shine using a Scotch pad/Scouring pad type of thing. You can then get a rattle can with a primer designed for plastic that will etch into the plastic and provide a flexible secure base for the top coat that can then be any old rattle can :)

The key thing with any painting is preparation and a mega good cleaning. I'd use some UPVC window frame cleaner to remove all grease and silicon based contamination then a good wash with warm water, dry, Scotch pad it, damp wipe it then prime :)

That's what I'd do :D

If in doubt go along to your local trade paint refinishers supply outlet, normally on your local industrial estate. Tell 'em what you want to do using rattle cans and they will sort you out with all you need including the cleaner, the Scotch pad, the primer and a bespoke mixed colour matched rattle can of top coat, take your paint code with you or the vehicle :D

Cheers lads.
Have found some plastic primer at BandQ, and halfrauds have mixed me up some top coat, so now all? I need to do is get on with it. :thumbup:

Thanks again.

Back