Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Paper driving licences set to go this month

I had a penalty notice saying my car was uninsured. It said " You will receive a penalty if you do nothing". So as my car WAS insured I wrote to David Cameron. He referred my letter to the Dept of Transport who instantly wrote back saying that they compare their Road Tax database with their Insurance database. They apologised for my inconvenience and withdrew the notice. I told nobody who I was insured with so I don't know how they found out.

Sorry moggy but I think we're talking mixed subjects here.

The theme of the thread drifted to hiring a car outside the UK (if I'm not mistaken).

Outside the UK, they look at our piece of paper like we come from a different planet, quote from the local police here "what's that paper got to do with your driving license?" I gave up trying to explain after about half an hour.

My problem was hiring a car in the UK without the paper counterpart, not abroad.

I tell you, it's only in the UK that they care, outside (in my experience) they're only interested whether you have a license or not, and I've also hired abroad without my passport to verify that my license was indeed mine. In my experience, and I've driven in several different countries on my UK license and I've been stopped for document checks by police, they don't care too much, especially if there's a chance of a backhander in it.

It's my experience, that's all, and I passed my test in 1971, I've had the red book, the pink thing, the green paper, the pink card and green paper, I wonder what colour the cards will be when there's no green paper anymore?

I agree the two part system was a fcuk up, but I really don't see the need for all the hype, panic and scaremongering, it's a diving license for goodness sake, every country has them, and none of them are like our (present pre June 8th system) it's the UK out of step as usual.

One day, they'll have you driving on the right side of the road like the rest of the world :lol:

Nah, I know, that will never catch on :lol:

I think the whole photocard driving license, that has been forced on every driver in the UK is a bloody con! :angry-screaming:

Traditionally (well before my time), you got a paper driving license, and that was that!

Providing you didn't do anything silly and loose you're license, you had that license for life and that was that...................

With a photocard license you now have to renew it every 10years and pay money every time! If you forget to renew on time, you loose you're license and to get it back you have to undertake another driving test and pay even more money! :icon-rolleyes:

I think the whole photocard driving license, that has been forced on every driver in the UK is a bloody con! :angry-screaming:

Traditionally (well before my time), you got a paper driving license, and that was that!

Providing you didn't do anything silly and loose you're license, you had that license for life and that was that...................

With a photocard license you now have to renew it every 10years and pay money every time! If you forget to renew on time, you loose you're license and to get it back you have to undertake another driving test and pay even more money! :icon-rolleyes:

I'm old enough that my first licence was a paper one, but not old enough that I got grandfather rights to various licence categories.

Have you got your Victorian licence yet Ben? I've just done my NSW licence for 3 years, I'm getting closer to being able to get a half price licence on my renewal... next time I think I'll have had it for 5 years, and at that point I get half price renewal. Same deal with licences over here, I nearly got caught out when we came back in 2013 as my NSW one had expired... oops! Paid for it again and it was all good.

By the way, as you've got PR you should be on your Aussie licence, whereas we're on finite visas so we don't actually need to be on them, but it makes my insurance cheaper by an amount more than my licence costs.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got my Victorian license within my first 6 months of living here and went for a 10 year one which was a bit foolish as I don't plan on living in this state for much longer.

I won't however ever give up my UK passport or driving licence! So I have to make sure I keep an eye on expiry dates.

A UK driving license isn't an easy thing to obtain and having put all that time and money into getting it I don't want to ever loose it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm learning a lot from this thread!

So I should take care to renew my pink card UK license?

It's valid to 26 June 2023 as stated on the card, is there anything stated that would change that?

Note to self, Google this and find out!

Definitely Clive!!!

I'd be interested to know how easy it is to renew from another country. I'm sure the photographs you submit have to be verified by some one respectable who has know you for at least a year I think it is?

Pub landlord i always use for "respectable" signatory .

I'm learning a lot from this thread!

So I should take care to renew my pink card UK license?

It's valid to 26 June 2023 as stated on the card, is there anything stated that would change that?

Note to self, Google this and find out!

Clive,

Is your birthday 27 June 1953? That date of 26/6/23 is the day before your 70th Birthday

Check in the front of the card next to 4b, below your place of birth, that's the expiry date of the photocard. The dates on the back are the expiry of your licence categories; for example, mine are 2050 for car, motorbike and then 2025 for my minibus category.

I got my Victorian license within my first 6 months of living here and went for a 10 year one which was a bit foolish as I don't plan on living in this state for much longer.

I won't however ever give up my UK passport or driving licence! So I have to make sure I keep an eye on expiry dates.

A UK driving license isn't an easy thing to obtain and having put all that time and money into getting it I don't want to ever loose it!

From over hearing conversations in the RMS office here I suspect you'd get a pro-rata back on the unused bit, although it's cheaper to register a car in any state other than NSW... so I'd keep it registered in VIC if I were you, and then you also dodge the need for an annual RWC (pink slip) but that's going off topic...

Can't be done Ben, AFAIK. DVLC have to issue the license to the address of the holder, which in my case is a UK address.

By rights, after 90 days, I should have swapped my UK license for a Romanian one. Not on your life!

When asked by the police, I pretend to travel regularly to the UK, so I say I need the UK one more than a Romanian license. Been here 14 years, and so far, so good!

If necessary, I'll fly back to get one, we'll see.

The bit that says you can download a PDF and keep it on a phone is the most sensible bit…unless of course you haven't got a smart phone…[emoji36]

I couldn't find anyway to download a PDF file on the DVLA site.

Back