Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Partly blocked TURBO pipe.

frank rabbets

Guru
1996 24valve.I had squeal from the engine at certain RPM. Telltale soot around one of the egr valves showed a leak here. Took all apart and found that the aluminium pipe/ flange was bent and the steel gasket joining it to one of the egr's was acting like a reed instrument. Filed the flange flat and all OK now. BUT there was a lot of black gunge in the turbo pipe and inlet manifold. Do they need cleaning out and how difficult is it to get the manifold off the engine?

Cheers

Frank

Frank, I would suggest it's a good idea to clean out, I did mine at the same time as I did the valve clearances & it was absolutely full of black gunge. I cleaned it out with a minature flat scraper, brake cleaning solvent & a bottle brush.

It's easy to remove the manifold, just follow the FSM. It looks abit daunting with all the vacuum hoses but it's pretty easy actually.

I replaced all the gaskets with new (Genuine Toyota) & isolated the EGR valves. I'm going to remove them completely (once Paul comes up with the blanking plates!) :whistle:

They are in progress :thumbup:

Going to put them up for sale, do people want gaskets and earth strap included?

Will be looking into having the club logo cut into them too ;)

Paul said:
They are in progress :thumbup:

Going to put them up for sale, do people want gaskets and earth strap included?

Will be looking into having the club logo cut into them too ;)

Yes please, saves having source them yourself. :thumbup:

All in progress so will let you know when they are available etc.

One thing i will say though, the two nuts/studs that hold the egr on the exhaust manifold are not the best at coming out. When i did mine the nuts seized and unwound the stud which wasn't really an issue but could not go back in as the nut was fubared. Might be worth checking that yours are ok or even split/cut the nuts off and spin on new ones, or just get some wd40 on them ready for the removal. The studs are quite good quality as they have a torx or similar end so you can hold onto them.

It was only recently I had everything apart Paul.

Thanks for the tip though :clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back